Forums

v10.0 Rollout: Why So Slow?

v10.0 Rollout: Why So Slow?

So my Model 3 LR AWD will be one year old in a couple of weeks. Having announced the new v10.0 software about 2 months ago, I still haven't received it. Can anyone explain why it takes so long for Tesla to release new software versions? Is there any rhyme or reason as to why some people get the software sooner than others?

hokiegir1 | December 3, 2019

1) Are you on wifi consistently?
2) Is your Software preference in the car set to "Advanced?"

sheldon.mike1010 | December 3, 2019

#Wind-
If you're on strong Wi-Fi and have Software settings set on your screen, it will arrive. Maybe late.
You could also create a service request as some others have done. They'd then push it to you.

Joshan | December 3, 2019

you will have to be on Wifi as hokiegirl correctly stated. I also had an issue once where a patch got "stuck" on my car. I was like 2 months behind like you are. I got into a chat with Tesla and asked them why I was not getting the update. The checked my car and saw the stuck update and cleared it. !0 mins later it was updating.

Long Story short, get into Tesla chat and ask them. They can check your car while your chatting and tell you.

@Joshan - That was going to be my next suggestion, because the same happened to me. :) I had one that got pulled back before I installed it. They said it would be pushed again in a few days. 3 weeks later, I still didn't have it, so I hopped on chat (not sure if that's still an option), and they cleared it. Next time I was on wifi, *poof* -- update.

Windsurfer | December 3, 2019

Thanks for the suggestions. There is no wifi access in my garage, so 99+% of the time I'm on LTE. I tried moving the car next to a corner of my house where I do have wifi access last weekend for a few hours and no joy.

Can someone tell me where to find the software preference setting on the screen? I tried to find it but no luck.

I just opened a chat with them (had to close fast when I got insta connected!).

https://www.tesla.com/support

you are really going to need wifi or your life will be painful. I had the same issue so I bought a google mesh wifi system for my house and now have full bars in the garage.

bradbomb | December 3, 2019

Before I lived somewhere that I can get WiFi where I parked, I used my phone as a hotspot whenever I thought there was an update ready. I forgot what update started showing the software tab and that there was an update ready to download and to connect to WiFi.

@windsurfer -- You definitely need wifi access. If you can't add a range extender to reach your normal parking area, there are some public connections that can be used. If you are near a service center, you can park there and it should connect. I've also heard Chick-fil-a and Whole Foods have wifi that doesn't have a "terms and conditions" type page, but haven't tried those.

If you go to the car menu under you wipers/etc, then scroll to the bottom, there should be a Software section. Depending on your version, you should have a choice of "Standard" or "advanced" -- and the more recent versions also have a progress bar to you can make sure you get the full download before leaving wifi coverage.

Windsurfer | December 3, 2019

So I just went and looked at the "Controls" section on my car, as well as the owner's manual. According to Hokiegir1 and the owner's manual, I should see a "Software" menu at the bottom of the page, just underneath the "Service" menu. But I don't. It's simply not there.

I'm on v9.0. I'll try to connect to wifi and see if I have better luck. If that doesn't work, it looks like I'll need to open a chat with Tesla Support.

TeslaTap.com | December 3, 2019

@Windsurfer - V9 did not have the "Software" tab. It appeared with V10. The advantage of the Software tab option is to let you get updates as soon as they are available if you have WiFi. As v10 is a large update with a map update, I'm not sure they can send it via LTE. WiFi may be the only choice.

What I'd do is open a service appointment and state you can't get V10 and you don't have WiFi. Either they will have you bring the car in or they may be able to force an over-the-air update via LTE.

@Windsurfer Which v9.0 are you on? There are more specific software versions. Version 9 could mean 2019.32.1 53f03e4 or even 2018.39.7 9736c9b

Those are just examples, there were many other version numbers for v9.0

httran26 | December 3, 2019

You can to some place that has free WiFi and see if the car can connect to the Wifi. Starbucks maybe. Connect the car to the wifi and leave it there for a while. Get some coffee or go shopping.

@TeslaTap The software tab was added I think sometime in May or June in a v9.0 software update, I think 2019.16

KAM6 | December 3, 2019

I received notification of an available update without WiFi connection so I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying that.

KAM6 | December 3, 2019

And that was with partial premium interior

@KAM6 Is your car never on WiFi?

@KAM6 Your car could have downloaded the update over WiFi, but the car didn't finish processing the update to install and make it available to install until you were on LTE

bjrosen | December 3, 2019

There are a number of ways that you could extend WiFi to your garage. There are WiFI extender that you could place in the part of your house that's closest to the garage, even better would be to set up a second router and connect it to your network with ethernet, assuming you can run a cable to that location. Another technique is powerline Ethernet which would allow you to setup a router in your garage. Powerline Ethernet would require two adapters that plug into outlets, one near near your switch so that you can run an Ethernet cable the first adapter and a second adapter with wifi that plugs into an outlet in your garage.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/PLW1000.aspx