Forums

Model 3 LWR performance Vs LWR Performance Package

Model 3 LWR performance Vs LWR Performance Package

I spoke to sales today, and he told me I can upgrade my (Model 3 LWR) order to (Model 3 LWR performance) by extra 2K.
This is not the same as performance package, i.e no "red calipers" or "20'inch wheels" but the speed/torque will be same as performance.

Is it worth it?
Appreciate your response.

JCE | December 4, 2019

If you are talking about the dual motor performance (without the calipers and lowers of the car etc..) then I would to totally go for this. You have the faster acceleration and can get either the 19 or 18 inch tires. I have a performance Y ordered and my only issue is the fact that it only comes with the 20 inch wheels and the range hit with that.

JCE | December 4, 2019

If you are talking about the dual motor performance (without the calipers and lowers of the car etc..) then I would to totally go for this. You have the faster acceleration and can get either the 19 or 18 inch tires. I have a performance Y ordered and my only issue is the fact that it only comes with the 20 inch wheels and the range hit with that.

jimglas | December 4, 2019

P3D- for $2k?
Go for it!

eztider | December 4, 2019

IMHO Yes.

c77m | December 4, 2019

I did. What's $2k more on a ~$50k car?

quantum | December 4, 2019

Awesome thank you guys.

geherman | December 4, 2019

Totally! I just received my LR AWS stealth Performance on Monday in Portland. Much more fun that a trip to Disneyworld (or anywhere else I can think of). BMW is doomed...

geherman | December 4, 2019

Sorry - Dual Motor

quantum | December 4, 2019

@geherman Thank you, enjoy you disney ride in portland :)
Yes I went for it

jlaurie | December 6, 2019

Couple of questions. I thought the 2nd motor on performance was bigger (physically different , not just a software upgrade) . Is that right?
When I go on my app to schedule upgrade it says a mobile service unit will come out and you pick a date. Is that all there is to it? what's exactly being done?
Anyone done it and enjoying the difference? I have 19" wheels dual engine long range. Do they upgrade to hardware v 3 at same time?
thanks

Atom12 | December 6, 2019

@jlaurie: (physically different , not just a software upgrade)

My 9/2018 Stealth has the same motor part numbers as the LR AWD. I'm going with software. Others will disagree.

bjrosen | December 6, 2019

A give away that it's the same motors for AWD and Performance is that there is no range hit for the Performance model. Ford is using different motors in the MachE GT vs the MachE AWD and the range hit is huge, the GT only has 220 miles of range with a 100KWh battery. You would expect that there would be heavier duty power electronics in the Performance version but I don't think that;s the case given that they only want $2K for the stealth performance package. Tesla might figure that it's cheaper to only stock one version of the power electronics than two and also if the AWD is using the same components as the Performance version then they will have lower warranty costs down the road because the power electronics are operating with more margin then if the parts were scaled down to handle just the requirements of AWD. They also have the option of offering an after purchase stealth performance software upgrade sometime in the future, software upgrades are pure profit. They do that with FSD, I'm surprised that they aren't offering that option all ready,.

Mike UpNorth_ | December 6, 2019

For $2k.... absolutely do it.

WEST TEX EV | December 6, 2019

@ bjrosen

There is a range hit for P3D

lbowroom | December 6, 2019

“ There is a range hit for P3D”
Yes, but we’re discussing P3D-
So only with application of throttle

lbowroom | December 6, 2019

“ When I go on my app to schedule upgrade it says a mobile service unit will come out and you pick a date”

There is no upgrade program