Forums

$1,000 to repair 2" deep scratch?

$1,000 to repair 2" deep scratch?

Car was parked while we saw a movie. I have the guy on camera (thank you sentry!) knocking their door into my car (but it's not 100% concrete because it was the back door by the handle - so 98% sure). It was not an intentional scratch. Just sucks all around.

This is my first time dealing with a deep scratch - and it's on the nicest car i've ever owned. My friend that has a model S is telling me that the door will look off unless they redo the entire door.
I called up my insurance (Progressive) and they gave me the scoop. I filed a claim. I got the estimate today and it came back at $1,077.00 to repaint the door.

The Progressive guy was unable to pull the license plate in their systems (despite having it fully in view). I called another Tesla body repair shop (from the website) and they told me that it would be well over $1,000 to fix this scratch because of the labor and that $1,000 is actually a good price. Of course this is a little shocking despite hearing about how expensive services can be... Insurance says this falls under my "collision" deductible, which sadly is $1,000.00.

I have the "basic" midnight grey color. It seems silly to front the $1,000 to get it repaired and *hope* they track the guy down to get their insurance to pay me back.

Thoughts? Anyone have a similar scratch/insurance experience? Do I need to file a police report??

Much thanks. I love this car so much - hate seeing her scarred up already!!

Magic 8 Ball | December 11, 2019

A bit hard to follow.

Can you post the footage?

You have a license plate of the alleged perp but is it your insurance can't or won't run the plate?

You can try filing a police report but it is unclear from your description if you have enough evidence.

Pay the money, get it fixed, move on. No big deal.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | December 11, 2019

Painting whole door is not a cheap job

Pepperidge | December 11, 2019

This is why Cybertruck is superior.

TeslaTap.com | December 11, 2019

That sounds quite a bit high to me, but it may partly depend on where you are. There is nothing particularly special about Tesla paint over any other car, but if they are repainting the entire door, then perhaps that is expected. I had a 4" gouge, down to the aluminum, and it cost $700 in the bay area (i.e. expensive area). They did not paint the entire fender. Everyone that's looked at it can't tell where it occurred, and it was very visible before being repaired.

apodbdrs | December 11, 2019

File a police report, provide them a copy of the sentry video. Post the video online, or let your local news know. The guy(s) will certainly turn themselves in or someone will. It is not right that you should have to cough up $1,000.

4barkie | December 11, 2019

When looking at Sentry clips before deleting them there was footage of a guy braking into someone else's car at Emeryville mall. I could not make out the plate but when I turned it into security at the mall they were able to clean up the footage to view the plate clearly. The car was owner by an off duty chp officer and they were able to do the same thing to view the plate.
I would be surprised if Progressive did not have the same ability. Maybe they don't want to bother with it. Good luck.

Amp-Chaser | December 11, 2019

First off, is this a scratch that is two inches long? If so it is easier to fix than you are aware of. All car dealers use a "scratch and dent service". Why do you think the cars on their lot do not have any scratches or dents? The services that do this are experts and they know what and how to do it and make it last. Contact a luxury dealer and ask the service manager who they use. The cost will be about $200 depending on your location. I have seen these "miracle" services do amazing work on damage that you would not believe.

Amp-Chaser | December 11, 2019

If you paint the entire door and spend that much money you will find it reported on CarFax and Autocheck. That will cause you diminished value when you trade or sell your M3.

FISHEV | December 11, 2019

Be glad it wasn’t a 4” scratch which is castling Progressive $2,500 to take off front bumper and repaint it. Guy with no insurance backs into when I was picking up Thanksgiving dinner stuff. He flees, cops come and cops and Progressive both say don’t worry about it. I got his license plate. Progressive said they would track him down to pay.

https://imgur.com/QyaGUE5

$850 of the $$2,500 is to redo the PPF and Ceramic coating, so $1,700 in Tesla costs.

rehutton777 | December 11, 2019

My car (also midnight gray) was "keyed" on both passenger side doors, leaving long (ca. 18" scratches on both doors. Tesla SC gave me numbers of Tesla Certified repair dealers, but said any body shop should be able to take care of it. One "certified" body shop quoted $4100, another quoted $1250. After reviewing photos, the insurance company estimated repair at $1500 with a $100 deductible, and sent me a check for that amount.. I took the car to a near-by body shop, and they said they would do it for the insurance amount, and deduct $100 to cover my deductible. They did a terrific job, and you would never know the damage had been there.

Bottom line, I think $1000 to repair one 2 inch scratch is very high. Check with at least one other Tesla-certified body shop. Also, unless there is an issue with sensors, I would not hesitate to take it to any reputable body shop for a quote. I also question your insurance guy saying it falls under your "collision" policy. In my case, there was no question that this was a comprehensive claim - - caused by a third party while my car was parked, and my deductible was only $100. I would check on this, or maybe change insurance carriers.

SolarB | December 11, 2019

You can actually repair a scratch and blend it in to make it look pretty good.. keep in mind that even repainting the door will not match rest of a car to 100%

FISHEV | December 14, 2019

"You can actually repair a scratch and blend it in to make it look pretty good."

Shop I'm going to per Progressive said you can't do that and Progressive, who's paying the bill as the track down the perpetrator who backed into me, seems to agree. They are taking the bumper off, stripping the PPF and Ceramic, repainting it an then reapplying PPF and Ceramic.

The detail shop said the the same thing on the painting, that the whole piece needs to be repainted. You can just fix a spot.