Forums

Taycan dubbed worst electric car (range) by USA Govt: quote

Taycan dubbed worst electric car (range) by USA Govt: quote

The Porsche Taycan Turbo's EPA Range Of 320 KM Is So Bad Porsche Requested An Independent Test

Justin T. Westbrook and Jalopnik
Dec 12, 2019, 10:00am⋅ Filed to:
2020 porsche taycan

Photo: Porsche
When the 2020 Porsche Taycan first debuted as the Mission E concept, the company claimed the car would achieve up to 300 miles (480 km) of range. But today, the EPA announced its estimated range for the 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo is just 201 miles (320 km), leading Porsche to go and do its own independent tests as damage control.

The U.S. government’s fuel economy site lists the Porsche Taycan Turbo’s range capacity at just 320 km—far shorter than the estimated 450 km range of the European WLTP testing standard for the same car.

This ranks the Taycan Turbo worse on range in the U.S. than every current Tesla model, the Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Audi E-Tron, and the Jaguar I-Pace. Nearly all of these vehicles feature a smaller battery than the Porsche’s 93.4 kWh pack.

While one could argue the Taycan pushes for sustainable, repeatable performance—something Tesla has had issues with despite its impressive numbers—and that priority may have hurt its long-range distance on a charge, that doesn’t excuse how bad this all looks.

Seemingly in anticipation of poor EPA figures, Porsche has already done independent testing to try and improve the Taycan Turbo’s reputation. Porsche got AMCI testing to determine its own range estimates in various simulated real-world environments. The result was an estimated range of 275 miles (442 km):

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | December 12, 2019

Disclaimer!
FishEV long time Troll that has been banned before under different nickname. Most of his claims are false and sometimes outright lie.
Thank you.

Magic 8 Ball | December 12, 2019

News Flash!

All BEV's have less range in the cold.
The Taycan't sucks.

End of transmission.

Bighorn | December 12, 2019

Etron and Taycan are in a race to the bottom. Etron doesn’t even make its terrible EPA #s IRL
https://www.motortrend.com/news/audi-e-tron-electric-suv-range-testing/

andy.connor.e | December 12, 2019

OFFICIAL: Porsche Taycan Turbo Range Pales Against Tesla Model S

"Porsche Taycan Turbo Electric Range Vs. Tesla Model S: No Comparison - MotorTrend"

https://www.motortrend.com/news/official-porsche-taycan-turbo-epa-range/

Are people starting to wake up and smell the free Tesla coffee?

teslamazing | December 12, 2019

TESLA >>>

Fishy. Just give it up. U try wayyyy to hard to mix words around.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | December 12, 2019

“I purchased a Model 3 with 310 range but less 75% for charging limits and 70% of that for less than 40 deg F operation, in order for me to do a work/home/work trip (156 miles and 20 miles reserve) ”

Your math doesn’t work (shocking, I know).
310 miles less 75% is ~ 78 miles. 70% of that is 55 miles. You couldn’t even make it one way if what you claim is true.

Even assuming you meant 75% OF 310 miles for some non-existing “charging limits,” your 20 mile “reserve” is actually ~7 miles.

Wrong six ways from Sunday.

Yet he or she still owns a Tesla.

Shocking !

calvin940 | December 12, 2019

Go away, Eagles. Your time is done.

I Love this motortrend quote in that same artcile:

"We found Tesla Model S range to actually exceed its EPA rating."

@calvin

Which accurately represents what Musk said in the quarterly call about the range they showed on their website. Part of the reason there was an "increase".

Varricks | December 12, 2019

Tell me about these "other" EVs when they actually start appearing on the streets.

I'd like to have two Porsches. One to cover it up with.

Joshan | December 12, 2019

They now removed the range from their US website.... Trying to hide much?

WEST TEX EV | December 12, 2019

So the U. S. Government is in on this??

The E. P. A. is in on the “no more TESLA, other cars are better” philosophy? These are independent range tests!!

Probably because the first estimate was BS, and was a high level calculation based on full estimates, and nothing representing real numbers. They probably did not account for their lack of experience with EVs to even be able to do an estimate calculation. On the otherhand, Tesla is estimating 210 miles range on M3 back in 2016, and overachieves this. Taycant

Hmmmmm seems “fishy”

jordanrichard | December 12, 2019

Notice that despite Porsche seeming not concerned about this range number because "...that was not the focus", they quickly had a third party come up with different numbers and what wasn't mentioned in that article, those new findings were sent to their dealers to help stem the mass exodus of reservation holders.

Remember how Porsche stated that a large number of those reservations holders were existing Tesla Owners Well, now one has to wonder just how many of those Tesla owners would actually still go through with buying the Taycan after this revelation.

coselectric | December 12, 2019

Fish flagged for fraudulent FUD. (All together now).

95dawg | December 12, 2019

Convo at Porsche dealer would go something like this:

Customer: Thinking about buying a Taycan.
Porsche sales rep: How about a Panamara? It is sportier and has more profit...I mean range!
Customer: About that...is the range really 200 miles per charge? If so I don't want it.
Porsche sales rep: Don't trust the EPA number. Our test shows it can go 270 miles!
Customer: Can I take it out for a test drive?
Porsche sales rep: No. Order online.
Customer: Why is Wh/m so bad? 490?
Porsche sales rep: Because it's a performance car. We are Porsche.
Customer: How about the cheap Taycan? The 4S? What's the range on that? 180?
Porsche sales rep: I don't know. (79.2 kW-h vs. 93 KW-h) Just get the Panamara Hybrid! It's green and fast!
Customer: Ok. I love Porsche.

aptwo | December 12, 2019

LUL cheaper Taycan 4S LUL

jimglas | December 12, 2019

According to Darth, Shorter range is an advantage for his taycant

Ross1 | December 12, 2019

it seems that the comments above are relating to a FISHEV post which must have been flagged away.
OP.

Bighorn | December 12, 2019

Who is this FISHEV of whom you speak?

Sparky | December 12, 2019

And the Model S beats the Taycan's Nurburgring lap time by 20 seconds as well.

Elon to Porsche; "hold my beer..."

Ross1 | December 12, 2019

..wait:
Did Porsche cheat at Nurburgring also?
Now there is a question.

bjrosen | December 12, 2019

A thousand dollars a mile, what's not to love.

Hal Fisher | December 12, 2019

The ‘TURBO’ is their term for battery drain. Get the non-turbo version due out around 2025.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | December 12, 2019

Disclaimer!
FishEV is always wrong and a Troll. Be aware and don't fall for his false claims.
Thank you.

-TheJohn- | December 12, 2019

I'm so proud of you flaggers and disclaimers /sniff
/gangsign

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | December 12, 2019

@le fish
“I purchased a Model 3 with 310 range but less 75% for charging limits and 70% of that for less than 40 deg F operation, in order for me to do a work/home/work trip (156 miles and 20 miles reserve) ”

Your math doesn’t work (shocking, I know).
310 miles less 75% is ~ 78 miles. 70% of that is 55 miles. You couldn’t even make it if what you claim is true.

Even assuming you meant 75% OF 310 miles for some non-existing “charging limits,” your 20 mile “reserve” is actually ~7 miles.

Wrong seven ways from Sunday.

There are no charging limits, much less any which isolate 75% of your charge. Further, if given how pressed you are for range, when you trade down to the ford, you’ll be stuck on the roadside.

In realville, people realize you don’t own a model 3 (even the red one you consistently post the same photo of), and won’t own an eMustang either.

Madatgascar | December 13, 2019

If the ratio of claimed to EPA certified range holds, the Taycan Turbo S will get an EPA range of 187 miles. Embarrassing... that’s almost exactly HALF of the Model S (non-performance) 370 mile range.

Magic 8 Ball | December 13, 2019

@FISHEV Your car is an unsatisfactory POS, cut your losses now the car is dangerous and just not worth the risk. Save yourself and others that you transport in it!

Bighorn | December 13, 2019

He wouldn’t make it out of his driveway in an electric city car like the Taycan. ICE is obviously the only answer for the compound. #shelterinplace

"Well it's a Tesla LR AWD rated 310 miles with pluses and minuses like any machine or device."

Of course, first sensible thing I have ever seen you post, congratulations and thank you.

Joshan | December 13, 2019

So the real question, would a Tesla towing a Taycan get better mileage than the Taycan itself.

WEST TEX EV | December 13, 2019

@ Madatgascar

I just got it.
Mad
At
Gas
Car

Ha!!!

Ya. That’s it.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | December 13, 2019

@WEST TEX EV
Just destroyed the Trololo

When Fish posts I have this music in my ears
https://youtu.be/oavMtUWDBTM

Bighorn | December 13, 2019

@pinterest
Except Turbo S range starts with a “1”.

So reserve is the new term for cheat device, clever.

Bummer they can't put cheat numbers on the Monroney.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | December 13, 2019

@ What math are you referring to above?

It’s all there in my post. 310 miles less 75% is ~ 78 miles. 70% of that is 55 miles. Even assuming you meant 75% OF 310 miles for some non-existing “charging limits,” your 20 mile “reserve” is actually ~7 miles.

We don't even need to add disclaimers any longer apparently. The trolls posts have gotten so Alex Jones worthy everyone can see what an idiot he is.

Fish, you've outdone yourself.

https://i.imgur.com/eYQaoAS.jpg

jallred | December 13, 2019

"In terms of energy consumption, our tester returned a computer indicated 2.2 miles per kilowatt-hour. That's pretty much spot on with its EPA estimated efficiency, which is to say it's disappointing in 2019. Frankly, the E-Tron's 95-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack is ample, but the vehicle it’s attached to is just too “thirsty” and too heavy." from https://www.motor1.com/reviews/380619/2020-audi-e-tron-review/

C/D
FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 65 MPGe
75-mph highway driving: 67 MPGe
Highway range: 190 miles
from https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a27534631/2019-audi-e-tron-by-the-n...

The total trip distance (with the charge along the way) was an indicated 193.5 miles, with an average efficiency of 2.0 miles per kwh, according to the vehicle’s trip computer. In that steep-climb use, this suggests the E-tron return a range of about 167 miles even here. from https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1123243_2019-audi-e-tron-road-trip-...

Over the course of the entire day, the E-Tron had traveled 195 miles total with a final efficiency estimate of 2.0 mi/kWh. from https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019-audi-e-tron-second-drive-review/

Seems hard to find a reviewer that can match your range statements.

Official:

https://www.myev.com/research/buyers-sellers-advice/how-the-epa-rates-el...

So I wonder if they run car until it shuts itself down? (Utilize 100% of RESERVE power? Not enough detail in this article). My point being that car manufacturer may affect test by setting point which represents 100% “full” and also when display shows “empty” or if they run through reserve, when car “SAFETY SHUTDOWN” occurs. These might be philosophically different for TESLA and other manufacturers.....

"FishEV:I purchased a Model 3 with 310 range but less 75% for charging limits"
No one force you to charge to 75, that's just your choice. You can safely charge all the way to 90 and stop you lil nonsense about range. Here fixed your problem. But again you ain't looking to fix non existent problem aren't you. You here to spit your nonsense about nothing. Tell us about Subaru and MachE once again. Everyone knows it just false whatever you say.

jimglas | December 13, 2019

So the real question, would a Tesla towing a Taycan get better mileage than the Taycan itself.
---------------------------------------------
well done joshan

@WW his words suggest he’s charging to 25% (i.e., range less 75%).

But yes. He suggests a tech tells him 75% will improve the battery longevity in a car with a 100,000 mile battery warranty that he claims to be selling in a year when he trades down to a car with less range.

Pages