Forums

Right rear window opened by itself?

Right rear window opened by itself?

Went to my car for my daily commute. Car was fully charged for scheduled departure at 04:15, climate at 71. I opened the driver's door and deposited my purse, coffee and thermos (moar coffee!), then unplugged the car. I sat down in the driver's seat and applied the brake, feeling that satisfying motion of the seat returning to flight configuration. I tapped the gear stalk up to engage reverse, and was surprised by how loud the sound of the brake release was this morning. That's when I discovered that the right rear passenger window was open. Is there a fix for this, or should I rename the car Motoko Kusanagi for the ghost in its shell? I've engaged windows locks for now. Not sure if that will do anything.

The one thing I did differently this morning was I started the climate control early, instead of letting the car do it. I also touched the driver seat heater control, setting it to 1. I quickly changed my mind and turned it off again. After all, it was 65° in the car at the time. I'm not sure what difference that would make, but software that has run flawlessly for years can fail in unexpected ways when presented with an unexpected input.

Magic 8 Ball | December 12, 2019

This is topic is a hot potato. Many of us have determined it is operator error (an accidental roll down unnoticed by operator) and only one report I know of where someone claims to have witnessed it happening. This phantom roll down has been reported since day one yet no one has captured on video.

The tribal knowledge on this is to recalibrate the windows if it happens.

site:forums.tesla.com calibrate windows

Just_Ted | December 12, 2019

+1 M8B, I had a couple of "phantom openings" and soon realized that it was my wrist, striking the window button. Since becoming aware of that, and adopting a "Dutch Reach", (a good idea to avoid dooring bicyclists) I have had no unexplained openings.

The majority of incidents I have read about is the passenger side rear window. It even happened to me before.

Sarah R | December 12, 2019

@M8B What an answer! The hot potato is delightfully unsatisfying, yet thoroughly uninformative!

Seriously, there's gotta be more than that.

I'm not saying it's aliens......but

Just_Ted | December 12, 2019

Specifically: if I grab the handle with my left hand my Ulnar Process (that bony lump on the outer edge of your wrist where the Ulna [one of your lower arm bones] ends) is turned down and at just the right spot to push the right rear window button if I am not careful.

Your milage/wrist anatomy may vary....

ICEMELT | December 12, 2019

I had one phantom roll down yesterday for the first time. The window completely roll down when my wife opened the passenger door from out side. We were able to consistently replicate the issue. Then I did two button reset and the issue seem to have gone away

@ICEMELT That would sound like a true calibration issue (the window does roll down a bit upon opening). Interesting the reset fixed it.

Joshan | December 12, 2019

happened to me once my windows actually were acting odd when using the switch to open and close at the time also. It wold go halfway down and back up and the like.

I did the calibration trick and they started working as expected with the switch and have never opened again.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | December 12, 2019

Happened last night when we were leaving our friends house. Rear window behind driver opened. My oldest daughter noticed and told us right away. I don't know if my wife hit the window switch or what. Also scraped underbelly getting off steep driveway (( so pissed. Told her slow down but she never listens #facepalm

Kahn | December 12, 2019

i've had it a few times.. and yesterday witnessed it at the time.. opened rear passenger door and window did not close when closing door. (door was closed all the way). re-opened door and closed it again and window closed all the way..

yudansha™ | December 12, 2019

The real question is why were you up so early?

bjrosen | December 12, 2019

Doesn't happen as often as it used to but it still happens. There is a bug of some sort. Definitely not driver's error, with me it usually happens when the front passenger door is opened. There are no buttons on the front passenger door that control the rear window so operator error isn't possible. I've done the window calibration thing many times, swinging a chicken over my head would probably be just as effective.

Hal Fisher | December 12, 2019

Ive had windows open twice now on their own. Last time just the other day when it was light raining it did it to the drivers seat :/ I asked musk on twitter to put a window lock on the screen because I barely ever open them. So twice in a full year of ownership. Amazing anyone has ever caught it occurring. Probably a floating ground on the circuit.

I spoke too soon. It is happening again. I got part of it on a video. I was able to get part of the video. The window already rolled down half way on first opening the door. Then it would go back and forth full open and half way.

https://youtu.be/_k9GhfeRNAQ

@ICEMELT I don't think you understand phantom roll down. Phantom roll down would be if the window rolls down on its own without anyone around the car touching the door at all.

Let's call this Spider-man roll down :-) but definitely undesirable behavior that needs to be checked out. I filed a bug report and will also schedule sc appointment. This seem to have started after 40.2.1

@ICEMELT As I mentioned before, in your case, it looks like it may be a calibration issue or it may be faulty switch possibly actuator. Have you tried the window calibration people have shared on this forum?

I have tried the window calibration. using the driver side window button I have tried fully closing and opening the window few times. At least that's what I understood from calibration instructions

What I also noticed as a test after calibration that continuous down using driver side button doesn't work for that window.

RayNLA | December 14, 2019

I just noticed it today for the first time in 8 months of ownership. Came out of Best Buy and the rear drivers side window was down. I’m hoping that it was an inadvertent user error thing.

ICEMELT | December 20, 2019

I have SC appointment in Jan so will get it checked out.

However, another friends identical car same time frame has developed same issue on door button. Could be a coincidence.

Anyone else out there with VIN around 146xxx having similar issue after last update?

ICEMELT | January 14, 2020

Just to close the loop, it turned out to be faulty Regulator. They replaced it. All good.

I did ask the SCR, how come such an important part go bad within first year of ownership. The answer was 'Mass Production'

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | January 14, 2020

Lol such important part . Funny