Forums

Internal 12v Power Outlet Not Working

Internal 12v Power Outlet Not Working

2019 Tesla model 3

While using using g the internal 12v power outlet to inflate the tires it suddenly stopped working. I plug another device into the outlet but that did not work either. Both devices worked when I plugged them into a 12v outlet in a different vehicle. Had anyone else experienced this problem? If so does it have to go in to the service center to be repaired?

Magic 8 Ball | December 29, 2019

Circuit should have a circuit breaker, should reset on its own. Try your devices again but if they draw too much current they will just trip the breaker again. Try a lower current device like a phone charger with 12V socket adapter or such.

GHammer | December 29, 2019

Blown fuse.

Magic 8 Ball | December 29, 2019

The fuses "self reset" like circuit breakers.

"The good news is that the fuses are self-resetting, which means that after the current on the circuit has settled, they'll normally reset themselves; this can take 60-90 minutes"

https://abstractocean.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360008501291-...

jamilworm | December 29, 2019

The same thing happened to me when I was using the Tesla tire kit. As M8B said, it's just a breaker that will reset on its own. I think mine took at least 30 minutes to reset.

jamilworm | December 29, 2019

Oh, thanks for the more detail M8B.

jdbarut | December 30, 2019

Is there a way to reset the breaker manually or using the touch screen?

3ngineer | December 30, 2019

1. In accordance with my username, would like to clarify some terminology: fuses are one and done, so these would have to be solid state circuit breakers, right?
2. the link 8 Ball gave also mentions disconnnecting the 12V batter to reset them instantly. In frunk, pry up on air cover to access.

azbrit | December 30, 2019

Thank you all. It may have been the okder tire inflator I used that tripped the breaker. Fortunately I purchased a new one.

Lonestar10_1999 | December 30, 2019

@3ngineer- to correct item 1, there is such a thing as a resettable fuse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse

Its good that Tesla chose resettable fuses to protect the circuits. Nobody wants to run to the auto parts store to buy a 20A fuse, or worse, stuff aluminum foil in the fuse slot just to complete the circuit!!!

rrlyman | December 30, 2019

The Tesla Tire Repair Kit compressor heats up and shuts itself down. It takes 20 minutes or so to cool down and reset. The 12 volt power in the car is most likely OK.