Forums

Lost Premium Connectivity

Lost Premium Connectivity

I purchased my Performance Model 3 in September 2018. I received the email about Premium Connectivity ending at the end of this year. I knew it was coming, so I signed up for the subscription and my Tesla Account shows I signed up.

Yesterday, I drove to work before the sun rose, so I didn’t notice that I had lost my satellite map. When I got in the car at lunch, I realized there was no satellite map and that I lost the ability to display text messages. I didn’t think about the connectivity at that time, but did notice that I had 50.5 waiting for me. I left work early yesterday and when I got home, I installed 50.5. Then did a power off reboot, still no maps. Finally I called Tesla and they mentioned that my connectivity had been reduced to Basic on accident, but it clearly shows that I should have Premium and that I had also subscribed. They said it would take a few hours to fix.

Woke up this morning and I am still only with Basic. Rebooted the car again, no dice. I called Tesla and they are still working on it.

Has anybody else had this issue?

nolasco1974 | December 31, 2019

Same here. My theatre mode says connect to WIFI and woke up this morning to no traffic on the maps even though my account says premium and I start to pay tomorrow for it.

Same here. My theatre mode says connect to WIFI and woke up this morning to no traffic on the maps even though my account says premium and I start to pay tomorrow for it.

andrewsjra | December 31, 2019

Yikes. Hope this doesn’t happen to everyone. I have it set as well but still have it free until tomorrow.

Alan_F | December 31, 2019

Upgraded my SR to SR+ and lost the same connectivity features. I assume it was related to the upgrade but the timing could have been a coincidence. I am within the 30 day connectivity trial and have already signed up for the $10/month subscription for after the trial ends.

I did a chat with support via the website and they said they would open a ticket with the 'back office' and it might take 3 days to fix.

thorvund | December 31, 2019

Well, 24 hours later and still only basic. I called and was put on hold for 24 minutes. When they gentleman came back, he didn’t really have an answer except it should turn in tomorrow since I signed up for a subscription. I said that didn’t make much sense as I should still have it today. He replied that other people have been much more understanding about this than me. I did not complain, I was pleasant and polite and told him I had no problem paying for the subscription, but it felt like he was just making a statement to appease me.

I am surprised as this is the first time I felt Tesla support had been rude to me.

I guess I will see what happens tomorrow.

Lady was rude too and when I told her it was also happening to other people and it was on Tesla threads, she said don’t believe everything you read on the internet. She gave me the same response to wait until tomorrow and then call back if it doesn’t come back on.

Guess I’ll wait until tomorrow.

@nolasco1974 Tomorrow is a holiday. Won’t support for non-roadside emergencies be closed?

I won’t be happy if it is not working tomorrow, but I won’t be rude to the support people if they are there. I really didn’t appreciate how that person responded. Fortunately, that has been an outlier to my other experiences.

Same here, l love Tesla. I’ve had a model s and now I have a model 3p. I also pre ordered the truck. I just think they need to have a better handle of these software issues. I will be mad if I’m charged and it’s not working. Anyway, happy new year to you all.

@nolasco2974 Here is another thought: Will they have connectivity issues at the end of every month (the new plan is monthly with no yearly option).

Happy New Year to you as well!

Alan_F | January 1, 2020

Just got 2019.40.50.5 and it didn't fix the connectivity issue. Interesting thing was it was also have major WiFi issues last night (unable to get DHCP address - router reboot didn't help and other devices were fine) but it looked like it was downloading the update over LTE even when the WiFi was flaking out. I can't be 100% sure because the WiFi was intermittently connecting, but I'm pretty sure I saw the percent downloaded increase in the app while the display showed LTE. I thought updates over LTE was a premium connectivity feature, so it looks like that feature was working, but I don't have web browser or theater over LTE nor do I have traffic visualizations or satellite maps. I'm waiting to see if they come through on the promised ~3 business days to fix it.

thorvund | January 1, 2020

Last night, 50.7 downloaded. Woke up this morning and no premium connectivity.

Of course, I tried to call and Tesla support is closed.

Also, My Tesla account no longer shows that I signed up to subscribe to Premium Connectivity, but it says “Something Went Wrong” and I am not able to resubscribe.

Tesla2018 | January 1, 2020

I'm having flashbacks to the Y2K panic when everyone thought the computers wouldnt work.

Happy New Year!

Clearly, Tesla was not prepared to really start the subscription plan. I am sure they will work it out.

20 years since my job put me on 24 hour alert for Y2K. I heard the next issue will be 2038 issue with embedded firmware. Hopefully, I will be retired by then!

Happy New Year!

mrburke | January 1, 2020

At this point, The Tesla "my account" web site is have a bit a meltdown. Oh' well. It is still the best car I have ever owned.

ken.lunde | January 1, 2020

Mike: It seems that Tesla is significantly changing the layout of the account page. The vehicle icons are now large images.

ken.lunde | January 1, 2020

Cancel that. They reverted the change just now.

scott.terrace | January 1, 2020

Same thing happened to me on Dec 30th and I still have no premium connectivity. When I called on the 30th the lady said they know others have the same issue and their engineers are working on it. Who knows when we will get premium connectivity again.

Model3Webster | January 1, 2020

Same experience here. Lost premium connectivity on the 30th even though I had signed up for premium subscription a few weeks ago and it was reflected on my Tesla account. I am also having the same issues with accessing the subscription upgrade option today. But now it shows me as only having standard connectivity.

jim | January 1, 2020

My guess is we all have standard connectivity at the moment.
It will probably get sorted out in a few days.
Happy New Year!

is everyone that is experiencing this issue have cars that were initially delivered prior to July 2018?

My car was built and delivered in September 2018.

mtmodel3 | January 1, 2020

We haven’t had our Model 3 out today so I don’t know what our connectivity is yet. I assume an interim solution is connecting car to personal hotspot on phone?

82bert | January 1, 2020

One of ours expired Dec 31, signed up for payment for premium a few weeks back. Account acts like we only have standard, but luckily premium is still working in vehicle.

hamiltonned | January 1, 2020

My car purchased December 2018. I subscribed a few months ago and I still have premium connectivity this morning but it doesn't show in my account. My car says Premium Connectivity expires Dec 31, 2019. I get "something went wrong" when I try to subscribe.

@mtmodel3 No, the hotspot trick does not bring back Satellite Maps. Strangely, I have not lost my streaming music.

@thorvund same here, only my streaming music still works,

mtmodel3 | January 1, 2020

Does WiFi/hotspot support live traffic updates? I rarely use satellite maps but traffic updates are important.

@mtmodel3 No, using a hotspot will not work for satellite OR live traffic.

Sarah R | January 1, 2020

I actually vacillated over premium connectivity for a week before I subscribed, so my expiration date for the free trial is next week. Well see what happens.

EVRider | January 1, 2020

When I look at the my account online, both our Model S and Model 3 show Standard Connectivity, even though I subscribed to Premium Connectivity in both cars (which was supposed to end yesterday) and I received e-mail confirmation for the subscription (though they haven't charged me yet). The Model 3 is also showing "Free Supercharging until September 9, 2019" for the first time -- I don't think I actually had free supercharging, and previously it showed "Pay Per Use Supercharging."

For both cars, the Controls > Software screen shows Premium Connectivity but with an expiration date of December 31, 2019.

This morning I watched YouTube in the Model 3 over LTE, so I still have Premium regardless of what it says online. I suspect the web site and touchscreen are getting updated and are not to be trusted. Obviously if you're supposed to have Premium and don't, that's a different issue which you need to get Tesla to fix, if it doesn't fix itself within a day or two.

EVRider | January 1, 2020

I should have mentioned that both cars were ordered in late 2018, so they were entitled to one free year of Premium.

I am hoping that this is resolved tomorrow. If they are going to charge $20/year more than they said they would, it would be nice for it to actually work.

N54 | January 2, 2020

I subscribed 12/9 and still lost premium connectivity yesterday as well.

derotam | January 2, 2020

While I do understand people's frustrations, why can't people give Tesla a few days to figure out this COMPLETELY NEW way that the premium connectivity is going to work. It was never implemented before so at least allow for a few days for them to get it working.

Could they have tested all this before, yeah/probably...but even if they had things can still get screwed up during the actual full implementation.

Now, if you subscribed for the service AND have been CHARGED for the service AND are not currently receiving said service, THEN you have the full right to complain to get your $0.65 back, as you are not getting what you have already paid for.

martin | January 2, 2020

The point here is (and rightly so in my opinion) that Tesla knew in advance this day was coming and should not have come as a surprise. Besides, this problem only exists due to a decision by Tesla to charge for a service we've all come to rely on.
As the service is provided via a cellular data modem with a virtual SIM card, it should not be a problem to let us customers decide what kind of subscription (and which provider!) we want to use in a car that we paid for and therefore own.
I personally will want to switch to a T-Mobile partner card with data service only when my Premium connectivity expires in a good year from now.

martin | January 2, 2020

Oh and one other thing:

Does anyone know what data volume (monthly) we talk about here? I never use the satellite image data in the Nav as I consider it distracting and a waste of bandwidth...

thorvund | January 2, 2020

@derotam. The reason it is an issue for me is that I commute in the SF Bay Area, being able to see the traffic is a huge improvement in my commute time. Yes, the car routes me around major issues, but it is not always correct and I know a lot of backroads if necessary. My commute can be anywhere from 30 min to 90 min depending on routing. I do get frustrated with Tesla on this as they *knew* the day was coming and it is now wasting chunks of my day for something I paid for.

@martin: It isn't Tesla's problem that you got "addicted" to the premium connectivity. You knew(or should have known) when you bought the car that the premium connectivity was limited in time. Tesla didn't just decide to charge for a service that had no stated limit.

And you want to put your own SIM card in with your own service provider...yeah I can see that one now...What happens if you lose connectivity? You won't be able to use the Tesla App to connect to your car... Your provider can just say that it isn't their problem and that it must be the car. Tesla can then say, "ohh you have your own sim card and provider, yeah we don't cover that because it is a modification".

While I do understand where you are coming from, I think it is unreasonable.

Alan_F | January 2, 2020

I think talking about this as if Tesla decided anything is missing the point. This is clearly a glitch / bug / mistake. I just got my Model 3 on 12/15/19. It has 30 days free premium connectivity and I already signed up for the monthly subscription to start on 1/15/20. My account doesn't show any errors, it shows I have premium connectivity. Yet I lost satellite maps, traffic visualizations, web browsing without WiFi, and so on. I'm patiently waiting for them to fix it, but as a new owner I'm really hoping that having missing features after 7 new software versions in one week is an anomaly and not business as usual for Tesla.

N54 | January 2, 2020

@derotam this doesn’t change that the performance model 3 has been the best daily driver I’ve had in 25yrs. BUT issues like this goes to show you Tesla still has a lot to work on. Ever since at least July 2018...they’ve known this day was coming. People being upset about setting up the renewal weeks ago and still losing the feature is completely reasonable. I get things can happen but Giving Tesla slack for something that should have been ironed out...I think is unreasonable.

mrburke | January 2, 2020

BIG PICTURE -
Telsa delivered a large quantity of cars before the 11:59:59 pm deadline on December 31,2019
I'll cut them some slack to fix this minor but annoying problem.

Some one please continue to remind me to constantly complain to Microsoft for every bug that pops up in every update...call the news, blast it all over social media....etc etc... /s

Teslanene | January 2, 2020

So the people who paid are getting basic, I still have premium connectivity even though my account says basic and I haven’t renew yet, why does Tesla keep giving me free stuff.

mrburke | January 2, 2020

I rebooted and seem to have premium connectivity back, but my account page says I only have standard connectivity.

Elon's Elves seem to be working their magic this morning.

@mrburke Thats great news. I will reboot at lunch.

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be great to be able to reboot your Tesla remotely?

donharvey2323 | January 2, 2020

I had no interruption of service. Got delivery Nov. 2018.

neylus | January 2, 2020

Next time open a service request from your phone app. They will fix it quite quickly from there. Mine took a few hours after a few text back and forth.

Reboot did not help. I will wait to see if anything changes today.

Pages