Forums

Can anyone help w/texting?

Can anyone help w/texting?

Hi all,

The phone part of my phone (iPhone 8) is working fine with my new M3, 50.7 software. Can make and send calls with voice command, no problem. Also shows my contacts,recent calls, etc, fine. All the sync buttons on both phone and car seem to be in the right place.

But since I got the car a week ago, and through 3 software updates, I've been unable to send and receive texts.

When I'm sent a text it shows up on my phone, but not on the control screen or under messages. When I try to send one, I can voice command the person to text, dictate a message, but then the 'Tap to send' bar is greyed out, and the little box with the dictation seems to just freeze, and it takes either many multiple swipes or time for it to go away and let me use voice control for anything else again.

Since I get and send a decent amount of text messages through the day, this is a problem, since texting via the phone and not through the car is far more dangerous and distracting (generally I just ignore until I stop, but as my work for the new year ramps up that will get ever harder).

Before I contact Tesla service, I wanted to see if anyone out there might suggest something I might be missing.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

hokiegir1 | January 3, 2020

Texting is new in this release and has been somewhat buggy for many people. I'm not an iPhone user, but I know on Android, I needed to allow both the Tesla App and bluetooth connection to read and write text messages in settings, and also make sure the car's bluetooth settings included text syncing. I think there were about 3 different places I ultimately had to grant permissions.

apodbdrs | January 3, 2020

@sidetracked1 - See if the video in the link below helps what you are trying to get to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k7YFDKJsTU

yudansha™ | January 3, 2020

Release notes are really clear; read them again.

RJMIII | January 3, 2020

You have to tap the blue tooth icon when your phone is connected and enable message syncing to get the car to read your messages.

When sending, do not tap the screen. Push the right steering wheel button. The whole system works better if you just use this button.

sidetracked1 | January 3, 2020

Thanks all.

Some good stuff here, but after chatting with Tesla on line, and then a phone call, it seems like there's something not quite working on my system, even after a couple of adjustments, reboots, etc. They said there are some known problems going on, and would hopefully get back to me ASAP. I'll give it a few days, and if I don't hear anything maybe take it in to the local SC. :-(

Tesla2018 | January 3, 2020

I never text but tryed it by using my Google phone number and texting it to my cell phone. Only thing is the number that showed on the screen wasn't my Google phone number but another number but it had the message I sent. Probably a Google issue but hope texts are dispkaying. Pretty cool that it read and spoke out the phone number and the text message to me. Said the phone number was 3 billion 5millon something since it read the phone number as one long 9 digit number

Sparky | January 3, 2020

Mine is working great for outgoing but not so good for incoming.

GrumpyinAZ | January 4, 2020

Nobody else is saying this, so I'll be the bad guy.

Texting while driving is illegal in several states. Hands free doesn't make a difference. Laws may catch up sometime, but for now, this is the way it is....

hokiegir1 | January 4, 2020

@grumpy - some states (GA) allow it as long as you aren't touching your phone

majassow | January 14, 2020

I've noticed that if I press the right scroll wheel (to play the text), and I have Navigation active (but nav sounds muted), it plays Navigation directions rather than reading the text message.

billlake2000 | January 15, 2020

I don't often text, but when I do, I am drinking dos equis

linuxguy | January 15, 2020

"hey siri" is the best method for me

dave_hill | January 28, 2020

I have an IPhone 8 and am having the exact same issue with texting... I would be grateful to hear if you receive a fix for this issue.

Thanks!

Big_Ed | January 28, 2020

@GrumpyinAZ
"Hands free doesn't make a difference."
------------
It does make a difference. California Office of Traffic Safety says:

"In California, you cannot use a cell phone or similar electronic communication device while holding it in your hand. You can only use it in a hands-free manner, such as speaker phone or voice commands, but never while holding it."

Big_Ed | January 28, 2020

California VC, Section 23123.5:

(a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while holding and operating a handheld wireless telephone or an electronic wireless communications device unless the wireless telephone or electronic wireless communications device is specifically designed and configured to allow voice-operated and hands-free operation, and it is used in that manner while driving.

(b) This section shall not apply to manufacturer-installed systems that are embedded in the vehicle.

(f) For the purposes of this section, “electronic wireless communications device” includes, but is not limited to, a broadband personal communication device, a specialized mobile radio device, a handheld device or laptop computer with mobile data access, a pager, or a two-way messaging device.

sidetracked1 | January 28, 2020

Hi all.

Since I started this thread I upgraded to a newer iPhone, and it seems to be working well much of the time - not flawlessly, but not bad. Maybe there's something some older iPhones that don't play nice with the Tesla system for texts?

I was a bit disappointed that I never heard back from Tesla, after they promised they would get back to me Jan. 3. But maybe they could see the system was now working?