Forums

Update of Computer for FSD at Service Center?

Update of Computer for FSD at Service Center?

Magic 8 Ball | January 19, 2020

● Reply hazy, try again.

Lonestar10_1999 | January 19, 2020

The official Tesla position is: Don’t call us, we’ll call you.

jimsaxman | January 19, 2020

A friend tells me that she needs to bring her car to the service center to put a "new computer" in her Tesla 3 for the purpose of installing the FSD program. She said she got a notification to do this. Is this a thing? I payed for FSD and have been getting the 10.2 updates at home but no notification to bring my car in. Is there someone who has more information than I do?

Yes it is a thing for those that bought cars before they started putting HW3 in all new cars. Cars built after a certain date have what is known as HW3.

JAD | January 19, 2020

It is slowly rolling out, early 2018 cars with fsd are getting the update and Tesla will contact you when it is your turn.

sheldon.mike1010 | January 19, 2020

Your friend is lucky.
Some of us are champing at the bit waiting to get it.
Big hurry. Don't call us, we'll call you.

jimsaxman | January 19, 2020

I received my car in November 2018 so I assume I have the HW3 version as per Magic 8. Her comment implied that this was to be a whole new computer. I can't imagine.

stingray.don | January 19, 2020

I received my car in November 2018 so I assume I have the HW3 version

HW3 rolled out in April of 2019, so you should have HW2.5 unless you have already upgraded.

Yes, it actually is a whole new computer and is a marvel.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/15/teslas-new-hw3-self-driving-compute...

JAD | January 19, 2020

It is a marvelous computer but does little useful yet. It needs software before there is really any good reason to have it. Just wait for the message from Tesla.

kevin_rf | January 20, 2020

I'm a bit curious, with the upgrade from HW 2.5 to HW 3.0. Does anyone know if the trip odometers get reset. Many of us have never reset them, using them as a way to track total power used over the life of the car.

jon.simonsen | January 20, 2020

HW3 does not reset trip odometers

derotam | January 20, 2020

HW3 does kill all personal settings except keys I think... including the trip odometers. The service center has to back the info up and then reload it back on. Some people have had their settings eraser totally because there either was no backup done or the service center just didn't put the data back.

JAD | January 20, 2020

Only one person lost data, the service center should back up all your data, your do not lose trip info unless something goes wrong. I only had to Bluetooth my phones after the update.

Patrick | January 20, 2020

@jimsaxman - FYI - Model 3s delivered in 11/18 (like ours) have HW 2.5. If you bought FSD you be contacted for a new FSD computer upgrade.