Forums

Tesla Model 3 isn't detecting iPhone

Tesla Model 3 isn't detecting iPhone

Is anyone experiencing this? Whenever I go to unlock my M3 and phone is in my pockets (with Bluetooth turned on), it doesn't unlock and it shows on the screen "Key card needed"

Now, when i take out my phone and it lights up, the car unlocks fine, I don't even have to unlock my phone. It just has to light up. It's just annoying when i'm carrying stuff that i have to drop everything and take my phone out of my pocket.

I called Tesla and they said that my "Background App Refresh" has to stay on and I tried that but it's still doing the same thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

apodbdrs | January 20, 2020

I asked the same question, someone recommended in the phone settings turning on Location, Bluetooth and Refresh. It seems to be an I phone issue.

Magic 8 Ball | January 20, 2020

Reboot car
Reboot phone
Check phone settings
Check car settings
Unpair phone the pair it again
Delete profile and recreate profile

Some of the things to try.

EVRider | January 20, 2020

Might just be where the phone is in your pocket, if everything works after you remove the phone. Other people have reported the sane thing.

NorthValley | January 20, 2020

Yep, butt block has happened to me a couple of times out of a few hundred unlocks. I take the phone out of my pocket, it connects immediately.

amr.aghar.7 | January 22, 2020

Awesome, thanks guys!

pavanforest | January 22, 2020

Is it working now for you?
I had to remove spaces in the hotspots name to get to worked, just in case if this is the case with you,

EVRider | January 22, 2020

@pavanforest: This has nothing to do with WiFi or hotspots, since the phone key uses neither one.

pavanforest | January 22, 2020

I don’t know solution for it, it use to work 100% like till last 3 months, then it’s not. To make it work I need to unlock my phone, then car recognizes my phone as key. When car went to deep sleep I have to wake the car up with app on phone to recognize it, I usually do that before I come out of home when car haven’t used for a day or so.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | January 22, 2020

With my iPhone 6s+, I sometimes had to shake the phone in my pocket to get it to connect. I have a 8+ now, and have had no problems with it connecting. Except for the occasional failure to wake the car from inside the house, but that’s a different issue.

mickeyg | May 31, 2020

My car doesn't recognize me. I need to go to the Tesla app and hit the unlock botton. Then it wants me to place my phone on the valet spot.

howard | May 31, 2020

Phone as a key is the most unreliable and frustrating part of the car. The passive fob is worth every penny.