Forums

12v Battery Shortage at Tesla?

12v Battery Shortage at Tesla?

January 13th, the volt battery failure message came up on my dash and I noticed problems removing the charger wand. They had just replaced it December 6, 2019. The vehicle was plugged into the wall charger the entire month that it wasn’t being driven and I drove exactly 109 miles.

I made the appointment for mobile service for the next available day. 2 days before the service, I got the text message from Tesla:
Thank you for scheduling your Tesla for a Mobile Service Appointment. At this time, the parts needed for to address your concerns will not make it in time for your originally scheduled Mobile appointment. We are sorry for this inconvenience. I have rescheduled your appointment for 1/27 at 10:30 AM. Does this new date and time work for you? Please reply to this text with yes. If the new appointment date does not work for you, please login to your MyTesla APP and change your appointment for a date after 1/27. Thank you for your cooperation and please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you!

They didn’t respond to my messages so I struggled another week with removing the nozzle from the charge port and stopped leaving it plugged in to avoid the delay due to struggle. Sadly, I got another message from Tesla:
Thank you for scheduling your Tesla for a Mobile Service Appointment. At this time, the parts needed for to address your concerns will not make it in time for your originally scheduled Mobile appointment. We are sorry for this inconvenience. I have rescheduled your appointment for 2/3 at 10:30 AM. Does this new date and time work for you? Please reply to this text with yes. If the new appointment date does not work for you, please login to your MyTesla APP and change your appointment for a date after 2/3. Thank you for your cooperation and please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Again, Tesla didn’t respond to my text messages.

Fortunately, there is a Service Center just under 1 hour away so if the car makes it, I’ll go there on Monday and hopefully they can replace the battery.

Is there a 12 volt battery shortage at Tesla?

TeslaTap.com | January 25, 2020

It could be just a few service centers. There are a few other reports in the forums, but that amounts to maybe 10 batteries over the last month or two. It doesn't seem like a significant problem unless you get stranded.

Bighorn | January 25, 2020

Causation seems dubious.

Mark K | January 26, 2020

Broadly speaking, the challenge with lead isn’t to get enough. Rather, it’s getting too much.

Beryl | January 26, 2020

I looks like there is indeed a battery shortage. I wish Tesla would respond to me so that I won’t waste time driving out to a SC.

bryan321 | January 26, 2020

I think you absolutely take the right decision to go Service Center. Best of luck...
And don't forget to let us know why this happened.

johncrab | January 26, 2020
Beryl | January 27, 2020

Definitely a shortage as the local SC is searching for one throughout the Lone Star State but expecting to wait for one from California.

BTW, I’m not risking the use of 3rd party (not Tesla obtained) batteries. Tesla doesn’t recommend them as they are not like tires which you can get anywhere.

Haggy | January 28, 2020

Yes, I got one just as the shortage was about to hit, and the tech said that it was a good thing that he got mine when he did, because if he had gone later it would have been a problem. I didn't ask why there's a shortage, and Tesla doesn't make the 12v battery, so the obvious answer is that there's a supplier issue and Tesla doesn't want to switch brands. It's not a simple thing for them to change because different batteries do better with different charging algorithms.

azapple | January 31, 2020

My 12v light came on 10 days ago. The ranger I had scheduled for yesterday never showed up (was told they sent a text, but their system was messed up and it was never delivered). Apparently there are no 12v batteries in AZ. Went to the service center this morning and they don't know when the batteries will be available. They were offering Uber credit since there were no loaners available. Has anyone actually had their 12v die? If so, how long from when the light went on?

PrescottRichard | January 31, 2020

Azapple- you should really look up Ohmmu then, they’re in Tempe. I believe. If you’re looking for references there are a few on the AZ Tesla owners page, which have convinced me to go that route when I need to (if not sooner as a pre-emotive strike).

I’ve seen plenty of posts where people were good up to 4 weeks from when the warning comes up, also seen some where with no warning people smell eggs and think there is a gas leak in the garage but their battery died. Since you have a warning lets figure you have a few weeks!

bevdelena | February 12, 2020

Had my 12v replaced one week ago after error message Insufficient voltage unable to drive. It had just been replace 4 months earlier. Now, one week later, I got another error message, power reduced, systems shutting down. What is going on????

murphyS90D | February 12, 2020

It could be a DC to DC converter problem. That is what charges the 12 volt battery.

williamweiss21 | February 12, 2020

My message from the Milford, CT service center today:

TESLA: Hello, we are reviewing your upcoming service appointment. The 12v battery warning is a very preemptive warning. Your vehicle is still drive-able with this alert. The alert actually has 2 stages initially it will say "change 12v soon" and then once it is more critical the verbiage will change to "change 12v now". At this time we do not have the battery in stock but have ordered the battery. Once the 12v comes in stock we can dispatch a mobile technician to install the battery. We will contact you once the 12v is available to arrange to send the technician out.

mcflyInAustin | February 13, 2020

My 12v battery died 2 weeks after receiving the warning. The car was totally dead, couldn't open the doors. Luckily it happened in my garage.

SF S | February 15, 2020

It looks like the 12V batteries on the Model S are going en masse, had a quite cold evening last night, but car is garaged, light came on, about 15,000 miles on car, only 1 1/2 yrs old. Always kept at home plugged in. As well I had to replace both key fob batteries after a yr. cheap, $5 for batteries for both fobs,DIY.
In comparison my ICE powered cars 12V batteries last at least 6 yrs and the key fob batteries? never replaced in a decade.

TeslaTap.com | February 15, 2020

@SF S - Keep in mind the older the car, the fewer electronics exist. A 12v battery on a 1980's car might last 6 years. Few cars today, except for the cheapest no-frills car will last 6 years, and those cars often have a cheap battery that will not last long either. Some BMWs have 12v batteries that will only last a year. It seems like a 3-4 year life is typical for most 12v batteries in luxury cars with infotainment systems, although there could be rare exceptions and the battery lasts longer.

SF S | February 15, 2020

I keep all my ICE cars on trickle chargers. From what I am gathering it's the amount of cycles that's doing in the Tesla 12V. At this point still under warranty.