Forums

2018 model s full battery range shrunk from 335 to 321

2018 model s full battery range shrunk from 335 to 321

I noticed my 2018 10000miles old model s battery range got shrunk from 335 to 321
Does anyone have this issue??

Anthony J. Parisio | March 1, 2020

There’s nothing to worry about. The loss isn’t real. Most likely it’s just the counter algorithm that is off. If you go for a couple really long drives it will reset itself.

Aerodyne | March 1, 2020

That, and a loss of 5% is not uncommon in the first 10-20k miles.

However calibration should not be off if you charge and discharge from 80-30% occasionally.

Lots on on line info on degradation, but the easiest to use is the new battery chart on Teslafi, that compares your car to others with same mileage.

jordanrichard | March 1, 2020

Has anyone else have this issue? There are some 1,000 threads on this subject.....

There are several factors that affect what you are seeing for a 100% SOC range. There is as AERODYNE said, part of it is a normal “settling” of the battery. Think of it like the break in period of new engine. Not every engine gets the exact specified power rating after being broken in.

The other thing that plays a part in your numbers being off is how you charge. Meaning, if you only use up 20% of the battery every day before charging, the algorithms that calculate the rated miles gets wonky because it can only predict miles based on that 20%. You need to think of your battery as if it were a rubber band. If you only stretch it out to “x”, over time you forget just how far it can really stretch. That is where Anthony J. Parisio’s advice about taking a couple of long drives come in to recalibrate things. Run the battery down to 10-15%, then charge back up to 90-100%.

jerrykham | March 1, 2020

Take the stuff about recalibrating with a grain of salt. You can try it. Most likely won't help. Those of us who have tried it have generally seen either no result or a very small change. Because the battery "algorithm" is just as simple as the one on the battery for your PC or your phone. For example on Windows you can run "powercfg.exe /batteryreport" and it will give you an HTML file showing many stats about your battery (your laptop battery, not your car). My particular laptop has only a little degradation. It used to have a capacity of 50,050 mWh per the report. It now has 47,180 mWh of capacity when full. That is ALL the Tesla "algorithm" is doing - it is showing you the EPA rated range for the amount of power your battery can still hold. There isn't anything about how you drive or how you charge. It can hold a certain capacity and that capacity divided by the amount of power estimated by the EPA per mile gives you the rated range. Similarly, my late 2017 S75 has some degradation - 90% used to be 219 miles. Now it is 205. This is normal for a battery - they age. Think about how your phone doesn't last as long after a couple of years of use. Same thing here. Tesla does some pretty impressive stuff (temperature control, etc.) to minimize the degradation. But you will get some for sure. That's how batteries work. Just drive it and enjoy it; mine is certainly the best car I have ever had. Hopefully you feel the same about yours.

avesraggiana | March 1, 2020

I second what @jerrykham said. This recalibrating thing is a bunch of baloney. I did it a few times and got nothing. Zero change.

On your MCU, under DISPLAYS just toggle from Miles to Percentage Charge and don't give any of this another thought.

Enjoy your car!