Forums

Corona Virus Public Service Announcement, stay home if you are older

Corona Virus Public Service Announcement, stay home if you are older

derotam | March 11, 2020

ehh, the world needs a bit of population control... :)

andy.connor.e | March 11, 2020

Paprika Andy? Good try but you can come up with something more catchy. Ask Mitch for help.

SCCRENDO | March 11, 2020

@derotam. You mean like culling the elderly and the immunocompromised.

Not good for pharmaceutical companies.

No not good for pharmaceutical companies at this time. But there is an antiviral agent being tested with some apparent early success. It is likely that they will not be allowed to price gouge. But they are likely to see a healthy bottom line. This is likely to come before the vaccine

If i get the virus, ill be in the hospital for 2 weeks being pumped with steroids.

It depends how severely you get it. But if you end up in ICU you could be on a ventilator and you may need antibiotics for secondary bacterial infections

Ya lets hope i dont have to go through something like that again.

rxlawdude | March 11, 2020

Secondary bacterial pneumonia is rare with COVID-19.
New reports suggesting that chloroquine may be effective, and other antivirals are being tried, too. No definitive results yet.

Oh yeah, worldwide shortage of chloroquine.

blkice | March 11, 2020

Got the flu now, did not get a flu shot, all the symptoms but no fever, I think I got this from my Grandkids, is it possible to have “normal” flu nowadays? Self quarantine but I have to wonder if I do have the corona, in Bay Area and the test is unavailable right now, 70 years old in good shape otherwise,slowly getting better but still coughing up lung butter

blkice, two alternatives: get tested for influenza; if positive, COVID-19 will be presumably negative, based on evidence that concurrent infections is vertested! Or, get tested for COVID-19.

But get tested!

vertested-> very rare

derotam | March 11, 2020

...was just about to look up "vertested", haha.

@bikice. The flu vaccine was not as good this year so many have gotten flu even with the vaccine. They recommend testing for flu because if you have it it likely excludes Corona. Ideally people like you should be tested because if you are positive you should quarantine, Practically if you have breathing difficulties you should go to the ER. It doesn't matter whether it is flu, Corona or another virus. They can all be fatal in the elderly.

blkice | March 11, 2020

@scc Thanks for that , i called my medical provider and they are swamped but will send me a “fact sheet“ and I can self decide if I want to be tested. Luckily I am in Great shape workout more than I probably should. As Korea has tested over 200K it Seems to me we are in a banana situation-sad

Ross1 | March 11, 2020

Many of Formula 1 races being cancelled, football played without any fans, St Patricks Day events cancelled in Ireland, Olympics Tokyo under threat. Events being cancelled left right and CT.

Like the law of gases, gases expand to fill the space available, so this virus, but slowing it down to bite size containment is the key.

@bikice. Dear leader has dropped the ball. But a lot of states are taking the initiative.Usually you should have a fever but you may not. The only concern would be if you start having breathing difficulties. If so head to the ER

I just had a prescription-dispensing robot technician visit to fix a server problem. He just returned from South Korea, traveling through Taipei 2 weeks ago.
That's just past the quarantine period, and he's fine. But geez, the first potential carrier I've met. Didn't shake hands. :0)

@rxlawdude. It's the ones that you don't know about that are the problem. It looks like we are being prudent and all large gatherings are being cancelled. I am washing my hands after examining patients and asking them to do the same. My patient no show list has increased and the traffic on the roads has decreased so significantly that each day looks like a federal holiday.

Ross1 | March 11, 2020

a robot technician. The future is here.

@ross. I think he was a technician not a robot. But If we keep getting pandemic robots may be the way to go

FISHEV | March 11, 2020

Findings Cases were older than the general population (mean age 45) and balanced between males (187) and females (204). Ninety-one percent had mild or moderate clinical severity at initial assessment. Three have died, 225 have recovered (median time to recovery is 32 days). Cases were isolated on average 4.6 days after developing symptoms; contact tracing reduced this by 1.9 days. Household contacts and those travelling with a case where at higher risk of infection (ORs 6 and 7) than other close contacts. The household secondary attack rate was 15%, and children were as likely to be infected as adults.

@FISHEV. Sounds about right. But what is your source

FISHEV | March 11, 2020

China review of response.

So now we have banned travel to Europe but not the UK. Whatever these clowns are doing defies logic. So random. Yet no plan about what to do in the US. Tom Hanks just picked up Corona in Australia. I guess I am not the only one who is confused. The Dow is also not happy. Dow futures dropped 1000 points after Trump spoke. Even the market has no confidence in. Trump.

jimglas | March 11, 2020

trump reading the teleprompter didnt exactly give me confidence in our governments response
Although I am confident he will assure the fossil fuel industry doesnt suffer

derotam | March 12, 2020

@SCCRENDO: The E.U. has open borders, the UK does not.

What is your opinion on what travel should be banned?

WW_spb | March 12, 2020

To be fair all overseas travel should be suspended for 30 days. Russia has high numbers of sick people but government just like Chinese underreport

Ross1 | March 12, 2020

SYDNEY, Australia — Tom Hanks had a cold, or so he thought: slight fever, body aches, chills, the usual.

In the United States, those symptoms may not be enough to get tested for the new coronavirus. But he and his wife, Rita Wilson, who also felt sick, weren’t at home — they were in Australia.

Here, testing is free and widely available, thanks to early and coordinated planning for a pandemic. On Thursday, Mr. Hanks said he and his wife had seen the efforts firsthand, as they tested positive for the virus.

qi | March 12, 2020

Well the Milly's have always wanted to get rid of us Boomers ...

Seriously - So far in the USA, we have allocated more $ per patient for COVID-19 than a heart transplant patient. There doesn't seem to be a point of diminishing returns. We shut down most the colleges today in California, but do they honestly believe 18-25 year old students are going to lock themselves in their dorms?

For those us paying full tuition for multiple kids, and who have their savings in the stock market, we are going to get reamed over this far worse than catching COVID-19 personally.

FISHEV | March 12, 2020

Since it is a Pandemic, it means it cannot be contained so travel and trade bans are doing nothing but hurting the supply chain both to address the health care issues themselves and for general public welfare from food to medicine to equipment. Yes travel only as needed, yes avoid crowd events but keep on trucking at jobs and production and services and take precautions. People will get sick and need two weeks off so labor force will be lessened.

In a pandemic we move to mitigation and treatment of population that will contract the virus. Slowing the inevitable spread so it doesn't overload the health care system's ability to treat those who need help.

Infection rate will be about 70%. 90% of those people will have symptoms that will require staying at home two weeks to become non-infectious. 10% will need medical support. 2% of those will likely die. 500,000 in US based on those numbers. As noted, that is likely worst case scenario but if we prepare for it, keep economies moving so we can mitigate it, it should be over by end of the summer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/world/europe/coronavirus-merkel-germa...

andy.connor.e | March 12, 2020

Not for nothing, the only time i've ever seen a map like this was when i was playing Pandemic 2, or Plague.inc. pretty nuts to see this!

https://imgur.com/a/PMOcNX8

derotam | March 12, 2020

@Andy, no you got the map wrong, it's the JHU map that looks like Plague Inc... https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594...

FISHEV | March 12, 2020

To put the expected 500,000 deaths in perspective, about 2,800,000 Americans die each year.

SCCRENDO | March 12, 2020

I think travel bans work. However this was pretty selective. The UK To USA number of cases proportionate to population is higher. The ban applies to non citizens rather than citizens of the US. So if for example Tom Hanks was in Europe and was not tested he would be allowed back in. The issue is also not so much the number of people who are diagnosed and sick. They are more likely to be isolated. It’s the symptomatic carriers that we don’t know about. Now if the CDC recommends a total travel ban to all countries like Israel has done I am ok with it. But here we have hit the worldwide economies with a partial travel ban.

But sadly Trump has missed the elephant in the room. The virus is all over the US. He has not come up with a valid plan for the USA. Most measure are being done at the state level by wise state authorities. They misses the boat by cutting CDC finding, laying off people with knowledge. Lying to the public. He is more concerned about the economic impact than the impact on the health of this country and the world. He also sets a lousy example. He is over 70 years old and who knows his state of health as he gets doctors to lie about it and he shakes hands with the general public. He was at the same conference where Republican congressmen and Senators went into voluntary quarantine. And him and his sidekick wont even test themselves for the virus

The stock market ha stood everyone what they think of his speech

Indeed other countries are more worried about US residents traveling to their countries because we have so few tests here and have no idea who has it.

hey ur right, the one i linked was definitely a Pandemic 2 map.

Hey Andy. How is that paprika working out in the pandemic? And Neo do you still think the solution is intermittent fasting? It looks like snake oil is also not the correct answer.

hows that attitude helping with your ability to learn and grow? You can come up with a more catchy nickname

qi | March 12, 2020

If you want to see interesting numbers, look at 2009-2010. This was the Swine Flu pandemic which killed 575,000 people. Now look at the Dow for 2009-2010 while the 1/5th of the world had the flu.

FISHEV | March 12, 2020

"I think travel bans work."

Only to contain. Once it is out in the general population, it serves no purpose other than the crowd situation in airports and planes. Since the virus is in the US and spreading, we don't worry about someone bringing it to US, it's here.

We are beyond containment, the virus is out in the world population which is why WHO moved from containment and declared a Pandemic. Shutting down economies makes the situation much worse. Needed supplies can't be produced or distributed.

We do our best to keep the infection rate slow so the 10% of the people who will need help are spread out over time as much as possible. We have 900,000 hospital beds in US. Used to have 1.5M but US health care system being insurance industry based vs. health care need based has reduced it. We see the consequences now. US has 2.77 beds per 1,000 people. Germany has 8 beds per 1,000. So US is poorly equipped to handle this.

blkice | March 12, 2020

@scc Stop baiting the MAGA folks I do not want there opinions on anything. I’m trying to keep it upscale when I post , your a smart guy you should too

@bikice. Will do.
@fishev. Agreed. And indeed we do need to contain just to slow the spread so does not overwhelm the healthcare system.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | March 12, 2020

blkice | March 12, 2020

This virus might wake up the world that a pandemic can happen so when a more dangerous bug gets loose major action will happen much faster-hopefully

Agreed. This should be a wake up call.

@bikice. This is how Obama handled Ebola which was a bigger threat and far more fatal
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/ebola-response
Trump has bungled this
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/obamas-ebola-czar-on-how-trump-b...

Most presidents have real crises during their presidencies. Trump has had continual self induced crises. This is his first real test. He gets a giant F. I hope the electorate understands this and remembers in November.

qi | March 12, 2020

How did Obama handle the H1N1 Swine Flu that killed 575,000 people in a year?

Pages