Forums

Corona Virus Public Service Announcement, stay home if you are older

Corona Virus Public Service Announcement, stay home if you are older

qi | March 12, 2020

How did Obama handle the H1N1 Swine Flu that killed 575,000 people in a year?

qi | March 12, 2020

How did Obama handle the H1N1 Swine Flu that killed 575,000 people in a year?

derotam | March 12, 2020

Yes lets compare the response to something that was limited in global scope with the response to something of global scope, that is a fair comparison. wow.

Again, SCCRENDO, what specific actions do YOU think Trump should take concerning the current Pandemic?

SCCRENDO | March 12, 2020

@qi. Another situation of a Trump failure where he tries to accuse Obama of being just as bad. Even if Obama screwed up a good leader would learn from the mistakes and do better. But this was not the case see below. This is another Trump false accusation
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-wait-swine-flu-n1h1/
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/04/facebook-posts/preside...
@derotam. I do not time now to rewrite in detail what I have already addressed. But please read what I wrote previously and your question will be answered. If you have any specific question I will answer you

WW_spb | March 12, 2020

SCCRENDO you seem to know everything like Fish. From Climate change to how to handle pandemic. Maybe you should run for President instead of red Bernie.

If you change the law to allow foreign born citizens to become president I certainly will. No reason to be snotty. I am a physician and am trying to offer my expertise. This forum should be an open intellectual debate supported by facts. I personally welcome other opinions. However unconstructive ignorant snottiness is unhelpful.

To both you and Derotam. If you want to know how a real president would address this pandemic you should listen to both Bernie and Biden. I would feel comfortable and reassured and so would the markets be if either Bernie or Biden were president.

rxlawdude | March 12, 2020

@SCC, in the words of a wise person, "you can't fix stupid." I'll leave it to readers' imagination which posters I'm referring to.

FISHEV | March 12, 2020

"How did Obama handle the H1N1 Swine Flu that killed 575,000 people in a year?"

Pretty much textbook

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

andy.connor.e | March 12, 2020

i like how the estimated # of cases has a 40 million variance.

FISHEV | March 12, 2020

Interesting article on how Wuhan handled it, good and the bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/12/us-cities-wuhan-co...

This catches one's eye.

"In a city of nearly 11 million, Wuhan’s approximately 67,000 cases amount to just 0.6% of its population. And despite the difficulty of obtaining accurate data amid the crisis, the World Health Organization (WHO) ground reports verify the numbers coming out of the city as credible. Given the (relatively high) estimated rates of transmissibility of this virus, how did Chinese officials in Wuhan keep it from spreading more rapidly?"

This is what the potential future presidents had to say
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/joe-biden-releases-coronavirus-plan-push...

FISHEV | March 12, 2020

For best government response in West, hard to beat Merkel. She smacks'em with the harsh reality and gets people onboard with what it takes. See Wuhan above. We'll miss Merkel on the world scene.

"The famously no-nonsense chancellor, keeping to form, braced Germany for an epidemic that may reach extraordinary scale."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/world/europe/coronavirus-merkel-germa...

Thanks FISHEV . Very informative

jimglas | March 12, 2020

^^why you shoud care even if you are young

WW_spb | March 12, 2020

Lol Why would I need President to tell me what to do? No thanks

For a few reasons. In a crisis the most important role of a president is to lead a nation and provide guidance and comfort. They lead us into war etc. While you may not comprehend this, a pandemic is a significant world crisis. And the president and other legislators are empowered to make laws such as mandatory quarantines that may severely impact your life for the sake of the public well being.

derotam | March 12, 2020

@ SCCRENDO: so what you have said is to "quarantine and event cancel" , and you like the idea of banning all international travel. So quarantine what? Everyone? Should we declare martial law too?

FISHEV | March 12, 2020

"So quarantine what? Everyone? Should we declare martial law too?"

You might want to read the link above on how Wuhan handled it and kept infection rate to 0.6%. That's a very encouraging result.

@Derotam. What we need is testing. And we are way behind the rest of the world. And those infected should be quarantine. As regards what we should do without testing I leave it to the experts. And indeed in the absence of strong direction from Trump and Pence responsible states and businesses are adopting responsibly measures. The idea is to slow the spread so we do not overwhelm the medical system. Banning large gatherings such as sports events and cruises and closing theme parks are all good ideas. Whether we ban flights is a different issue. The virus is already here. But on flights people are crowded together. Perhaps they should fly half empty so people are not crowded together but I would leave that to the experts. They will plan rationally unlike Trump who makes irrational unscientific decisions.

WW_spb | March 13, 2020

Atlanta metro area schools closed effective Monday.

derotam | March 13, 2020

@SCCRENDO:

Yes, I agree that we need more testing kit capacity.

Yes I agree that those infected should be quarantined, BUT that becomes an interesting issue in the U.S. What kind of quarantine do you want? voluntary or Mandatory. Voluntary is easy, Mandatory via use of force/legal measures is harder and time consuming...in the U.S.

In the U.S. I think there are a lot more legal issues that have to be thought about before a government tries to do something lest they create a liability on themselves. Governments can't just do things without a legal authority or they open themselves up to all kinds of legal issues....no matter how right the decision is.

andy.connor.e | March 13, 2020

This link is making me want to play Plague Inc.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

derotam | March 13, 2020

Its a great game!

Later this afternoon, i am going to vanquish the human race

Neomaxizoomdweebie | March 13, 2020

@andy,
Use the common flu. It’s pretty effective. See data below.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

i usually start a virus with zero symptoms and wait for it to get into every country, then i add sneezing and coughing. wait till every single person is infected and then enable organ failure and such

SCCRENDO | March 13, 2020

I personally feel that people who just had contacts should consider voluntary quarantine. Those that have active confirmed disease should undergo mandatory quarantine. In reality people with similar viral disease could be just as dangerous except there is likely more immunity to flu because of vaccines etc. If this was ebola or smallpox I would recommend mandatory testing and isolation. As discussed above only a minor perecentage get very sick and the mortality of those may be around 3%. The idea here is to slow the spread but not necessarily prevent the spread.

jimglas | March 13, 2020

my wife and I are self quarantined out f caution
We are fortunate to both be retired
we have enough food and wine for a month and a nice TV with a firestick for entertainment
cheers!

so far daily infection increases are about double in European countries than in the US. If we keep up the good work of preventative measures, we can contain it to not infect half our country.

I am continuing to see patients with obvious precautions. I have had more no shows. I have cancelled all flight. We have just suspended our twice weekly soccer games

jimglas | March 13, 2020

we dont know how many are infected because we dont have adequate testing available
perhaps trump should not have gutted the pandemic response team and the CDC 2 years ago?

Neomaxizoomdweebie | March 13, 2020

Please stop with the misinformation.

False Claim About CDC’s Global Anti-Pandemic Work
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/false-claim-about-cdcs-global-anti-pan...

rxlawdude | March 13, 2020

@Neo, you ignore the FACT that CDC's budget was decreased by ONE BILLION DOLLARS between FY18 and FY19.

sabbia | March 13, 2020

WW[©_©] and qi should understand the consequences of political, not scientific talking points when it comes to life and death matters. As a result of purposeful dissembling more Democrats than Republicans are taking health precautions. Significantly more precautions from simple things such as hand washing to social distancing. Source: https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-democrats-coronavirus-1491075

I personally haven't seen WW[©_©] on these forums before. The first thing I see is an ad hominem attack on someone who is very well educated and informed. Shame on you.

WW_spb | March 13, 2020

Glad Florida didn't elect this guy to be Governor 2 years ago. Such a great guy .
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cnn-contributor-andrew-gillum-found-...

WW_spb | March 13, 2020

sabbia, shame on you for smoking crack.

jimglas | March 13, 2020

looks like a russian troll has arrived

sabbia | March 13, 2020

I encourage WW[©_©] to continue posting. Nothing shows their absence of thinking skills, their absence of decency as does their posts.

WW[©_©] posts help the rest of us to understand the validity of those writings. WW[©_©] : please post some more. Do not restrict yourself to this thread. Chime in on climate change, please.

WW_spb | March 13, 2020

Stay safe and stay healthy.

+1

Stay safe and make good decisions. If your area is not already affected, get ahead of the curve. Its not going to get better anytime soon.

TabascoGuy | March 13, 2020

@jimglas "we have enough food and wine for a month and a nice TV with a firestick for entertainment"

Sounds fun, can I come visit for a couple weeks?

Ross1 | March 13, 2020

USA doesnt necessarily have lower infection, it has lower reporting.
And because it has no infrastructure to deal with it, no test kits, the important thing is to flatten the peak, delay onset. The travel ban should help the delay.

2 high profile cases in Aus involve people travelling FROM USA. Peter Dutton, Federal Minister for Home Affairs, and your own Tom Hanks.

jimglas | March 13, 2020

@TG: Sure

jimglas | March 13, 2020

the travel ban is useless
The virus is already here and spreadig unchecked

Agreed Ross

Pages