Forums

Suspected odometer defect

Suspected odometer defect

Not sure if this is a thing or not but it feels like my MX odometer mileage is not correct. It appears that I am piling on phantom miles (miles that I have not actually driven). I have had my MX for 10 months and never drove it more than 60 miles round trip and now have 14,900 miles on the odometer. My previous vehicle averaged 10,000/year of miles (had the previous car for 5 years). Has anyone experienced anything like this?

CrazyHorse | March 7, 2020

It’s a 2019 MX 100D (SW 2020.4.1)

plugzin | March 7, 2020

Have a teenager at home of driving age?

TeslaTap.com | March 7, 2020

@CrazyHorse - Never heard of this, but why not test it out. Easy to do - record the odometer and drive a measured route - perhaps a 100 miles or so. Then see what the odometer reads. If within a mile or two, It's working as expected (most routes are only accurate within a mile). If you see something like 140 miles, clearly something is wrong.

Two reasons that may contribute to your unexpected milage. One if you installed a different size tire with a smaller outside diameter, it would increase the odometer reading. That seems unlikely as I expect no tire shop would do this. The other reason is many owners find they enjoy riding in an EV far more than a previous ICE car. They then drive more than they did before!

Thanks I will try tracking the odometer, but it very well may be the fact that I love driving my MX far more.

T35LAX | March 7, 2020

Metric units?
Odometer in kilometers?

@plugzin I wish is was that easy....I could simply drop kick the kid and problem solved lol.