Forums

The Virus: The Science

The Virus: The Science

Just science.

AN HOUR AGO | 11.28AM
Australia’s virus testing ‘very accurate’

The federal health department says the test used for coronavirus is very accurate, as concerns have been raised in the US about the quality of its testing.

Media reports have suggested some forms of testing used by US doctors have high rates of false negatives — as much as 70 per cent compared with the best tests.

But a health department spokesman told AAP the test used in Australia — nucleic acid amplification (polymerase chain reaction) — is “very accurate”.

During testing, a swab specimen is collected from a patient’s throat and nose. If the patient is producing sputum, a sputum specimen is collected. In hospitals, specimens from the lower respiratory tract may be collected. The time from the specimen arriving in a pathology laboratory to when a result is authorised by a pathologist is usually in a few hours for a negative result. Positive results can take longer because confirmatory testing is performed. The time it takes from testing to the patient being made aware of the result can vary.

The spokesman said false negative and positive results can occur “for reasons not associated with the test”.

“For example, poor specimen quality is a common cause of false negative results. It is best to collect specimens from patients with symptoms.”

LACHLAN MOFFET GRAY
2 HOURS AGO | 11.02AM

Ross1 | March 12, 2020

Please explain: how sanitiser destroys resident virus. How wiping surfaces sterilises. The virus is not bacteria.

FISHEV | March 12, 2020
Xerogas | March 12, 2020

@Ross1: "Please explain: how sanitiser destroys resident virus. How wiping surfaces sterilises. The virus is not bacteria."
------
You’re conflating antibiotics with alcohol. It’s true that antibiotics don’t kill viruses, but alcohol is quite adept at it: https://www.livescience.com/hand-sanitizer.html

SCCRENDO | March 12, 2020

@ross. Great question. Having practiced outside the US for many years and within the US fro more years the answer is simple. In a great democracy like our every idiot has an opinion and the power to vote. The rules are in place and we have a clown running the circus. What this will take is a dictator for a day to say screw the rules and this is how it should be done. problem solved
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/12/21175034/coronavirus-co...

Ross1 | March 13, 2020

you are welcome lol

Ross1 | March 13, 2020

Can a/ or the virus spread thru aircon?

How long can it live on surfaces?

Can it be mailed by Ebay purchasing?

derotam | March 13, 2020

dictator for a day...dictator for a week...dictator for a month...great idea!

While mandating a martial law scenario as China did would be good in terms of helping to control the spread of the virus, it isn't so easy to accomplish here in the U.S. for many many reasons. From a medical standpoint, sure quarantine everyone, cancel everything, martial law everyone into their homes...from a societal standpoint...in the U.S. that will turn ugly very quickly and there is not enough enforcement to actually accomplish it, nor is there the general willpower or common good mentality for the people to do it willingly on their own.

Ross1 | March 13, 2020

In AUS we just mandated no gatherings of more than 500 people, cancelled all sporting events incl F1 Grand Prix, Footy, Comedy Festival, Dark Mojo... everything.

But back to the science.
I will flag rubbish btw.

SCCRENDO | March 13, 2020

@derotam. I was just being illustrative. I got this from Thomas Friedman in his book "hot flat and crowded" talking about climate change. You need to read the book to get the full context. But he stated that the solution in the US was to become China for a day. But just one day.

jimglas | March 13, 2020

it might have helped if the orange shitgibbon had not gutted the pandemic response team and the CDC.
I know, her Emailz ........

jimglas | March 13, 2020

Its a danger to society even if YOU dont get very sick:
https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-no...

And on the topic of science. How effective is a ban of flights to and from Europe while exempting England and Ireland
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/coronavirus-europe-travel-ban-us-tran...

jimglas | March 13, 2020

the travel ban is useless, the virus is already here and spreading. act now:
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-...

sabbia | March 13, 2020

Thanks @Jim. Someone else send me the medium.com link. Very thorough. It got good reviews from those whom I know who are medical professionals.

Those who ignore it and follow the shuck and jive Josef Goebbels approach do so at their own peril.

TabascoGuy | March 13, 2020

"How effective is a ban of flights to and from Europe while exempting England and Ireland"

I wonder where Trump has resorts?

Xerogas | March 13, 2020

@Ross1: https://i.redd.it/f55f3qq48gm41.jpg shows answers to some of your questions. I hope they were serious questions, and not trying to stir up trouble.

Ross is ok. He understands science

Orthopod | March 13, 2020

In Quebec

Schools, daycare, libraries, municipal buildings closed for 2 weeks minimum.
No gathering more than 250 people’s
14 days self quarantine for anyone coming back from travel after March 11th

Neomaxizoomdweebie | March 13, 2020

Why would anyone coming back from travel need to quarantine? You mean like if they went to Europe? That’s kinda pointless unless you ban travelers from Europe oooohh....

Orthopod | March 13, 2020

Well you can travel anywhere but when you come back you have to sign an agreement at the customs that you will self quarantine at home for 14 days

Probably 95% of the travelers will comply but this will greatly reduce the transmission peak and will not overwhelm the respiratory machines in the hospitals

Neomaxizoomdweebie | March 13, 2020

No, I think that is an excellent idea. Self quarantine is a smart move if you’ve been exposed. And not allowing those in high risk areas to vacation in your country is also a smart move. You may soon hear from some of the “smart” people on this forum that once your nation has infections there is no longer a point in restricting foreign travel. I call those “smart” people idiots.

andy.connor.e | March 13, 2020

@bumble

thats an awesome thing right there. Im seriously thinking of suggesting that my company mandate that everyone work remote. Our work can essentially operate without an office without any issues. Any company and organization that has the ability to work remote should absolutely be doing that NOW. If we intend to prevent this disease spreading like in China, we need to act BEFORE it becomes a serious problem. We need to be building hospitals at mach 10 speed like what China did. We need them NOW, and not 2 years from now. Cut the disease's throat right now and prevent it from going parabolic. Amazon should step in with remote package delivery. Businesses can keep a few people stocking and unloading, and there is never any direct human contact from store to driver to citizen. Put the supplies outside the building, driver picks it up, delivers it and rings door bell and leaves before they come get it. We're big boys and girls in this country, i think we could handle doing what it takes to prevent this from going parabolic. Its good to see this though:
"The measure includes two weeks of paid sick leave and up to three months of paid family and medical leave, enhanced unemployment benefits, free virus testing including for those who lack insurance, additional food aid and federal funds for Medicaid."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/world/coronavirus-news-live-updates.html

This kind of thing is exactly what we need. Just send everyone home for a month or 2, and we could prevent it from getting uncontrollable. Probably the most important reason to prevent its spread is the potential collapse of the medical help. Only so many hospital beds, and you'll have the disease for 2-4 weeks. The time for people in and out is not long enough for what our medical system has to offer if the number of cases goes parabolic.

What other things can we do?

Ross1 | March 13, 2020

You are forgetting? that the disease is so painful and stressful it can kill you.
And if you are contemplating a roadtrip, write your will and stow a coffin or body bag, and directions to please look after this bear (or bull).

andy.connor.e | March 13, 2020

Just thinking about the disease makes me want to go buy toilet paper. Is this a neural parasite?

Ross1 | March 13, 2020

Do your writing without thinking then...oh, duh.

noleaf4me | March 14, 2020

Travel Ban: Frankly not many people were going anywhere anyway -- so putting in a ban allows the government to support the airlines. The airlines would have been losing a lot of $$ flying overseas 2/3 empty anyway. Actually it was a decent move so the industry doesn't totally collapse.

SCCRENDO | March 14, 2020

I have been reviewing a lot more stuff overnight. The reality is that it is everywhere. The true incidence is unknown because we we are not testing everyone everywhere. If everyone got sick it would be easier. It seems like the majority of people do not get sick and of those who get sick only a small percentage die. Also this is winter and we have other viruses like flu that kill. People who die don’t particularly care if they died from Corona or flu. This causes confusion because we have a good immunity to flu because of vaccines etc but not to Corona. Certain contacts are mandatory. I as a physician need to go to work. The question arises through whether I need to see all patients or just those who need some sort of help. Routine physicals etc should likely be postponed. If the medical system is overwhelmed I as a physician who normally does not directly treat flu and pneumomia will need to step up and help. Ideally we should ban all non essential travel. But there do need to be options for those who need essential travel. That is why I belive the European travel ban to be BS. You should either ban all flights with exceptions for not bother at this time. Just being on a plane is a risk although not as risky as being on a cruise

I do need to say that Trump has been behaving professionally and presidential the last few day. On Friday while he was talking the stock market went up 1000 points. So the market recognized the improvement in behavior. Previously it crashed every time he spoke. I am listening to him now today. He is still behaving presidential. He wore a USA hat rather than a MAGA hat which is an important message. I am putting more trust in him and Pence for the moment as regards their management of this crisis going forward

Neomaxizoomdweebie | March 14, 2020

@SCCRENDO,
"I do need to say that Trump has been behaving professionally and presidential the last few day."
Are you Okay, is someone else in the house forcing you to say these things? Blink twice if you need us to send help.

jimglas | March 14, 2020

I am more worried about hourly workers without sick pay than I am about the airlines
but thats just me

@Neo. You are a fucking idiot. For a change start thimkimg with your brain not your MAGA hat. A pandemic has nothing to do with politics. My criticisms of Trump has always been that he is an incompetent crooked buffoon who is not fit to be president. And his initial approach was dangerous to the country, He has made many moves that cost lives in other spheres. However since yesterday he has stepped up to the plate and is providing great leadership in this crisis. He deserves full credit for doing his job for once. A good sign was that he wore a USA hat and not a MAGA hat. I still think he needs to be voted out of office in November. But in this crisis we need to rally behind him and trust his leadership for the moment.

@jimglas. I agree. And indeed the Dems under the leadership of Pelosi got Trump to sign on to their bill which focuses on the workers rather than the corporations

jimglas | March 14, 2020

I dont see how bragging about the private sector stepping in 3 months late is "presidential"
And most of his comments were again lies
And he said nothing about what citizens should do to slow the spread of this pandemic, he simply crowed about increased testing that is still not available.

I didn’t say he was Abraham Lincoln. But his approach to addressing the pandemic these past 2 days is appropriate and we need to all get on board.

jimglas | March 14, 2020

He wasn't telling peope to go mingle aymore, but all I saw was bragging about testing that still isnt available and wont be even close to adequate for more than a month

They are going all out to ramp up testing. I think getting people to limit unnecessary contacts is critical particularly until we can ramp up testing. Just heard Dr Ben Carson. He thinks we need a national day of prayer. Reminds we what they are doing in Jerusalem. They called for a prayer night and 100,000 people showed up. LOL

jimglas | March 14, 2020

what rotted bens brain?

rxlawdude | March 14, 2020

@jim, exposure to anesthetic gasses?

jimglas | March 14, 2020

or huffing glue

blkice | March 14, 2020

Ass Kissing & Boot Licking can cause uncontrollable brain damage . Ample proof on this forum

@blkice. I think the MAGA hats interfere with logical thinking. LOL. Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

Some statements by both Ben Carson and SCCRENDO prove that medical doctors are capable of being fucking idiots.

rxlawdude | March 14, 2020

While some posters here (@Neo, e.g.) are fucking idiots without being capable.

blkice | March 14, 2020

@scc I have been totally amazed at how well the propaganda and brainwashing works in America. If you get infected it wipes out any critical thinking and I haven’t seen anybody recover

Sure, tiger. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Critical thinking. For example, if a country is fighting to keep their rate of infection as low as possible why would they allow people to fly in from other countries/regions with a much higher infection rate than their own?

blkice | March 14, 2020

Tiger killer , I agree with you but the fight should have started a month ago, That’s the ass kissing and Bootlicking that’s going kill people that Maybe would have had a chance. Keep up the critical thinking it might help the recovery

A month ago. When we stopped flights from China and were accused of racism?

sleeper service | March 14, 2020

The schools are closed in Maryland for the next two weeks.My county is providing free bag lunches during that time for the students that had free lunches when the schools were open.

blkice | March 14, 2020

This fight requires more than Stopping flights. I have the FLU and can’t get tested. Why ? maybe you could figure it out

Pages