Forums

2020.12 Fixes voice command issues.

2020.12 Fixes voice command issues.

Many months and updates ago I lost much of the functionality of voice commands. I've been patiently expecting and waiting for a fix and the fix has now arrived. With this last update, they've smoothed out the bugs. When giving a voice command you only have to push and release the steering wheel button then give the command. You don't have to hold the button down anymore. Even with holding the button down voice commands were really hit and miss for me before this update, now they seem to work 100% of the time. I am very pleased to have this feature back and working correctly. Now I can't wait to see what functions they add to voice commands going forward.

roger.klurfeld | March 17, 2020
Daryl | March 17, 2020

I'm sure that at one time last year I could say "Tune radio to ninety one point five FM" and it would do it. Now it tells me it hasn't learned how to do that.

Seems like a very basic command.

M3phan | March 17, 2020

2020.4.1 fixed them for me

rob.van.olst | March 18, 2020

I don't think the software version inside the car has anything to do with it. My voicecommands went from working perfectly to a situation where theywere totally not recognized, however they were written on the screen perfectly only not understood. And all of a sudden it started working again and all that time I'm and still are on version 2020.4.1.
I can come to only one conclusion and that is that the interpretation of the commands is done 'out of car', probably on some server at TLSA headquarters or may be even that this service is bought by Tesla from some other supplier.
A friend of mine that drives a BMW 540 has had the same issue.

EVRider | March 18, 2020

@rob: Tesla does process at least some voice commands on the server (just like Siri and Alexa), but there have been differences between one software version and the next that are unrelated to server-side processing.

Family.Joules | March 18, 2020

I've had my M3 for 10 days, and the voice commands have never worked for me. Same as above, it correctly transcribes what I say, but then it doesn't seem to be able to interpret the command; it just repeats "try again".

FISHEV | March 18, 2020

Is there a Tesla list of voice commands? Appreciate the owner developed Wiki but Tesla should provide it.

EVRider | March 18, 2020

@FISHEV: Agreed, but Tesla doesn't provide such a list as of yet.

spuzzz123 | March 18, 2020

You walked into that trap evrider.

EVRider | March 19, 2020

Not really. I agree that Tesla should document the voice commands.

die2win | March 19, 2020

With the voice commands, it does seem to be haphazard as to what works, our M3 is now on update 2020.8.1 and it doesn’t recognize anything but the most basic commands, turn on drivers seat, set temperature to...forget setting the mirrors or turning on off the radio changing channel etc...

gparrot | March 19, 2020

To our French & German brothers out there, do any commands work in your language?
And to the Brits out there, does your car understand your accent to American commands? ;-)
I guess that last question should also apply if you’re from Alabama or Missouri...

Joshan | March 19, 2020

it understands me saying things in Spanish like "Navigate to Bien Trucha" It understands that perfectly, same with other requests. Apple and Amazon could learn a lot of Tesla of voice recognition.

TeslaTap.com | March 19, 2020

Here's a list of voice commands by software version: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v4m7aHk__KdfkoedDsiChxilbTvSg9Ak...

(I did not create this).

nnguyen72 | March 19, 2020

Even when the voice command feature was originally implemented you weren't supposed to hold down the button and speak the command, right? You were only supposed to press and release the scroll wheel then speak the command, at least that's how I did it and worked for me...

pmagid | March 19, 2020

Elevem..... EEleven..... EEEEEE...LEV....UHN.

FREEDOM!

jlbonham41 | March 19, 2020

After the most recent voice command update, I tried setting the AC temp and it worked. But it never has again and the only command that works consistently is "navigate to..". Is there something I'm missing?

jlbonham41 | March 19, 2020

Also, how do you access release notes on software updates in the car? Just tried, but no luck.

EVRider | March 19, 2020

You can press the Tesla logo on the touchscreen to display a screen with a release notes link. There might also be a release notes link on the Controls > Software screen, but I’m not sure about that one.

CYIMBRK | March 19, 2020

Siri does a better job and she's an old woman!