Forums

Have you lowered your battery charge level due to less driving during coronavirus?

Have you lowered your battery charge level due to less driving during coronavirus?

Since a lot of people are staying home are you lowering your charge level? I lowered mine. Might as well preserve battery longevity.

Joshan | April 1, 2020

nah, just drive it and enjoy. People way overthink this shit.

kevin_rf | April 1, 2020

Dropped from my usual 80% winter SOC to summer 70% SOC early. Day 20 of working from home and have barely put any miles on it. Just groceries and Dunkin....

Joshan | April 1, 2020

Guy posted a video on Twitter last week, I linked it here in some post.

He said over 90% super charging only and has 103k miles. 1% degradation... just relax and drive and enjoy.

Magic 8 Ball | April 1, 2020

Cool, that would be some random guy on the internet, correct?

Kary993 | April 1, 2020

Too much thinking here....charge the car and drive it when you need it.....Best EV in the world today!

Joshan | April 1, 2020

video proof, not opinions. Why are you trolling?

gmr6415 | April 1, 2020

No change here. I eventually landed on 85% down to around 30%. I charge every 5 to 10 days depending on amount of driving.

Proof from some random guy on the internet, that is rich.

Seems to me you have issue with others that post things from random guys in the internet so keeping things square.

How is your son doing?

vmulla | April 1, 2020

This random guy on the internet with 57K miles suggests the car pretty much takes care of itself - do your thing and if something is not right the car will suggest better charging practices with onscreen messages.
Want video proof of how my battery is doing? ;-)

TickTock | April 1, 2020

No change here - I was already charging to 60% before to maximize battery life and even that is more than I need.

Joshan | April 1, 2020

Did you forget your not logged in as Fish?

You are the guy that beat up the guy complaining about no homelink jumping to calling him an entitled prick without any prior dialog with him, correct?

How is your son doing?

coleAK | April 1, 2020

I did same as ^^^ Keven. Dropped from my 80% winter max to 70% summer early, even though it’s still <10F in the morning.

dimitri.anast | April 1, 2020

Lowered it to 50% since I haven't driven in weeks. Not sure why some people think that sliding the little bar in the app down from 80% to 50% is "overthinking". If you consider that overthinking then you have some larger issues to worry about haha

Joshan | April 1, 2020

sorry for the derail all,. I will just stop replying to M8B it serves no purpose. Back on topic :)

I have set it to 90% since the day I got the car and have never changed it myself. Thus far I have not seen a real reason to sweat the small stuff.

WW_spb | April 1, 2020

Just adjusted to 50% since car just sits in garage past two and half weeks.

nick-r | April 1, 2020

Car insurance companies must be making a fortune. Hardly anyone is driving, fewer accidents, yet they are collecting full premiums.

Running ads on TV non-stop.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | April 1, 2020

No, no need.

spuzzz123 | April 1, 2020

I don’t understand this infighting. I generally agree with both of you guys but now you’re at each other’s throats. Why are you asking about his son m8b? Is that a mean jab(I hope not). Anyway I set mine to 50%. Joshan may be right but I plan on keeping mine for a long time so no sense risking any degradation. Every expert seems to say you want to average about 50% so that’s where i set it while I’m quarantining. 160 miles is more than enough range even for unexpected local travel.

@spuzzz He has been attacking me for months for things he does himself.

He was here last week talking about nobody can get tested and his son having 104 Temperature and I was/am genuinely concerned/curious about how his son is doing is the root of "how is his son" but not one peep about that since his rant.

I have always been a fan of keeping the battery topped up to as high as Tesla recommends especially in uncertain times.

sixstring09 | April 1, 2020

Since I only lose 1 mile every 2-3 days of non-use, there is no need to keep it plugged in for me.

Batteries only have so many charge/discharge cycles before they die. That is what ages batteries.

I want to preserve my battery longevity by not charging unnecessarily.

Joshan | April 1, 2020

@spuzzz I don't wan't to waste more time derailing or discussing it. I just won't reply to anything he posts any longer. Issue resolved. personal attacks based on peoples children and making fun of sickness is never good humor...

Joshan | April 1, 2020

Since I only lose 1 mile every 2-3 days of non-use, there is no need to keep it plugged in for me.

Batteries only have so many charge/discharge cycles before they die. That is what ages batteries.

I want to preserve my battery longevity by not charging unnecessarily.

Just trying to understand this logic. If you charge every 5 days for 50% of the battery or charge every day for 10% of the battery. How would that be more charge cycles?

Sorry if you took me attempting to funny about your son but that was never intended nor implied. I even posted several times I was sincere with my inquiries. I don't care who you are but if you post you are having those types of issues it is strange not to follow up with a progress report.

When I got suspended people that did/do not like me inquired where I was and some expressed concern. I felt bad I was not allowed to rest their concerns during that week.

Joshan | April 1, 2020

Sorry if you took me attempting to funny about your son but that was never intended nor implied. I even posted several times I was sincere with my inquiries

If this is true, thank you. I did not feel you were being sincere but is admittedly hard to tell on a forum. I will stop being a dick to you.

wiboater4 | April 1, 2020

Well since Tesla's message on your phone asks "Would you like to lower your charge to extend battery life" I'd say there is an advantage to not charging a lot more right now than you really need to unless you expect an emergency where you'll need full capacity. My point of the post was for those people like myself who are staying safe during the virus and are not driving our usual miles to take a half second and slide the slider down to what is comfortable for them. Why not since it is so easy to do?

So how is your son, did he eventually get tested and/or is he on the mend?

Joshan | April 1, 2020

he was never able to get tested, his wife finally called 911 and took an ambulance to the hospital so they tested her.

They are both on the upswing now as young and no pre-existing conditions. his wife still is not allowed to go to the baby doctor for now. Hopefully there is no emergency issues while she is in quarantine.

bjrosen | April 1, 2020

I dropped it from 90% to 80%. This is the time of year when we usually start doing road trips every weekend so 90% makes sense under normal conditions. But we won't be going anywhere for a long while so there was no downside to lowering the level to 80%. It's diminishing returns after 80% so there is no reason to go lower.

Sorry to hear that it had to be a visit to ER good to hear they feel better. I presume she tested negative or are results in yet?

As I said from the beginning if you are really sick go to the ER do not listen to a run a round. This advice is the same advice a Stanford cardiologist gave me on Sunday. We have a friend being treated with the Malaria drug approach right now, she seems to be doing better but, of course, without a controlled study it is an unknown as to what is what.

>>> Just trying to understand this logic. If you charge every 5 days for 50% of the battery or charge every day for 10% of the battery. How would that be more charge cycles?

A battery starts losing life once it has been manufactured. Because every time you charge a battery it creates heat in the cells. This heat is one of the factors that effects battery longevity along with charge rate, discharge, discharge rate, depth of discharge, temperature, etc...

I don't have any problem keeping my batteries between 80% and 20% capacity. That is their sweet spot.

I'd much rather have my battery go from 80% to 40% (over a 3 month period) and charge back up to 80% one time, than have the charger kick on and off 40 times keeping the battery at 50% for that same period.

T_Scheen | April 1, 2020

Instead of the usual 90%, I have now lowered to 70%.
https://blog.chargemap.com/coronavirus-how-to-deal-with-your-electric-ca...
70% is good enough for my bi-weekly shopping.

Joshan | April 1, 2020

There are signs at the ER in Illinois (at least around me) telling you do not enter the hospital if you have covid symptoms. You have to call ahead. This gets back to where I started :)

Joshan | April 1, 2020

>>> Just trying to understand this logic. If you charge every 5 days for 50% of the battery or charge every day for 10% of the battery. How would that be more charge cycles?

A battery starts losing life once it has been manufactured. Because every time you charge a battery it creates heat in the cells. This heat is one of the factors that effects battery longevity along with charge rate, discharge, discharge rate, depth of discharge, temperature, etc...

I am admittedly FAR from a battery expert. I am a battery noob... Can anyone tell me if this is accurate? I have seen the myriads of posts about charging limits, but have never seen anyone talk about how often you charge affecting battery health.

Side issue, but the times I have not charged daily is when my rated range gets out of whack (got down to 262). If I charge daily it stays between 275 and 279 at 90%

vmulla | April 1, 2020

BTW - I'm observing lower estimated mileage during this period of low usage, which seems to be a normal recalibration of the battery for the altered usage patterns.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/estimated-mileage-low-usage

That sucks. Not to belabor this any longer but when your son had 104 temp and they gave him the run a round it just does not sit well with me. I guess we are lucky out here. The cardiologist I spoke with said they had some covid patients but for the most part it is business as usual there. The hospital my wife goes to for cardio therapy is the same story except they have blocked them from doing the therapies there for now.

Joshan | April 1, 2020

ya not happy about having to pay ambulance costs to get past this, but what are you gonna do. Its cheaper than chartering a plane for... what was it 22k? lol

You can probably get a better deal now. Trumpcare not working out for you? /s

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | April 1, 2020

The following information I learned from a tv show, Nova I think.
This is about charge cycles in Lithium batteries. Lithium ion batteries can be charged from 0-100% 1000 times. If it is only charged by half of its capacity, for example a 100kwh battery receives 50kwh charge, it could be recharged 2000 times. So, according to this, a 100kwh battery would accept a maximum lifetime charge of 100,000kwh.
I’m sure things have improved since this aired a couple of years ago and it doesn’t take into account other factors such as cell temps, charge/discharge rates, etc.
Back to OP’s question, I was charging from 20-90% when supercharging ( until this January). Now that I’m charging at home, I charge to 80%, no change due to sequestration. I charge when it gets down to about 50% for now, normally I’ll go to 20%.

jamespompi | April 1, 2020

Man this forum has gotten odd. I don't think its a bad idea to just leave it plugged in at 50-60% if you're not really using it. I have a wall connector and a supercharger in town so if I need any additional range to go anywhere I can get it with short notice.

wiboater4 | April 1, 2020

@jamespompi Yeah it seems a lot of posts get sidetracked to a completely different subject.

Joshan | April 1, 2020

I am half to blame, my apologies again...

I only have you down as 42% of the blame, you give yourself more credit than you deserve.

RES IPSA | April 1, 2020

I charge mine to 60% and then recharge to 60% when it reaches 40%

40% to 60% SOC range. Although there are differing opinions, some credible experts have concluded that lithium ion batteries do best around 50% SOC

Joshan. Think of a battery as a heart. It only has so many beats. If you abuse it, it has a shorter life. It is made to only last so long.

Same with a battery. Normal discharging and charging is optimal.

Keeping a battery at a constant charge percentage by constantly charging to keep that percentage is not normal and will effect the longevity of the battery system and charger.

The battery system is rated for what, 400k miles? Nobody in this forum will see that mileage.

I'm not saying that keeping a vehicle on charge is going to have a noticable effect in the near term, but I know that this behavior will have consequences on the battery and charging system long term.

That's all. :)

teslamazing | April 1, 2020

No.

adoh2010 | April 1, 2020

I charge to 80% usually so there's no need to lower it. Wear and DOC are not linearly related, dropping your usual max SOC from 100 to 95 will make a lot more difference than 95 to 90 and so on. Just follow Elon's advice and never charge above 95% because it's never necessary. Reduced regen and higher phantom drain at >95% makes the extra 5% equate to ~2% more range from what I saw.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | April 1, 2020

"I don’t understand this infighting. I generally agree with both of you guys but now you’re at each other’s throats. Why are you asking about his son m8b? "

For the back story, see this ridiculous thread: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/sterilizing-model-3
BLUF: Joshan expressed frustration about the availability of C19 testing and its affect on his son's wife's prenatal medical visits. It was deeply misinterpreted and blew up into absurdity, and is now leaking into other discussions.

I think everyone’s under a lot of stress. It’s nice to see two of the good guys mend fences.

Pages