Forums

LTE signal strength

LTE signal strength

With my recent MCU1 replacement, I went from 3G to LTE. Though I haven't driven much since the replacement, I've notice that the LTE signal appears fairly weak, per the bar meter, at times in the metro area. Though I haven't lost service, I see 1 bar in areas where it should be full scale or close to it (within a few miles of home where there are cell towers everywhere, and it's flat). Wonder if anyone' else has noticed this (BH?) Or maybe they forget to reconnect the antenna. Thoughts?

NKYTA | April 1, 2020

Barry, I assume you tried your reboots? Since I got the LTE upgrade, there have been just a few occasions where LTE signal strength was zero bars when my iPhone had two bars. Road trip fun is coming over a hill on the Interstate, seeing a cell tower, wondering if ATT has a presence and boom! all bars. ;-)

Bighorn | April 1, 2020

Signal is pretty variable, though I haven't tracked it.

Is signal strength affected by how many people are using the source?

RAR | April 1, 2020

Signal strength should not be affected, but performance would be.

Bighorn | April 1, 2020

@RAR
I didn't know if it was a stupid question. I don't know how the signal meter works or if reduced throughput due to shared bandwidth would affect it. Thanks.

RAR | April 1, 2020

@Bighorn I consider a question stupid when it is asked the third time without saying the person didn't understand the answer the first two times. A medical education would not include electronic field theory.

Note that sometimes an antenna's radiation pattern is adjusted so that when a receiver is too close the signal strength is weak because the strongest signal passes above the receiver.

barrykmd | April 1, 2020

BH - I've noticed no performance issues, just signal strength. My cell phone is Verizon, so no correlation to car.
I'm pretty sure I did a reboot since the last update, which came a day after I got the car back from service, but will do it again to be sure. Since getting the car back, I haven't had the opportunity to drive up to the mountains or foothills where there are some fringe coverage areas.

TeslaTap.com | April 1, 2020

This has come up before. It appears showing 1 bar in the Tesla may be similar to 3 bars on a phone. Really nothing to worry about. The Tesla meter shown is just not as sensitive as some phones and 1 bar works fine.

NKYTA | April 1, 2020

It is pretty easy to notice that Slacker stops working when on a road trip. Sometimes that happens with 1 bar, but usually with none.