Forums

How scientific literature works

How scientific literature works

Experts recommendations are level 5 evidence and includes a lot of uncontrolled bias.
Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs) are level 1 evidence and excludes risks of bias by randomization and blinding the evaluator and the person received the treatment.

To confirm or infirm the effectiveness of a drug, we need to look at Level 1 evidence including unbiased Randomized Control Trials with double blinding. This will give you an unbiased scientific answer with a pvalue of 0.05 if you select a confidence Interval of 95%.

1 well designed RCT will have more effect in the scientific litterature than 6500 experts recommendation or case reports on drug use or techniques of surgical intervention. Experts opinions or recommendation has little to no value compared to a well designed unbiased RCT.

This is how scientific litterature works and how we base our practice in medecine. Everything we do in our practice is based on well designed Randomized Control trials RCTs such as orthoevidence.com

Ross1 | April 29, 2020

:)
I cant spell medecine either. Medecine medicine medecene. I think it is medicene.

Ross1 | April 29, 2020

medicine.

derotam | April 29, 2020

Great info Orthopod...can you please tell everyone what level a news article is on that scale since there seems to be a lot of people around here going to news articles for their information and not looking at any published trial information...

SCCRENDO | April 29, 2020

Can you tell everyone what level a post rom derotam is

derotam | April 29, 2020

ohhhhh!

Orthopod | April 29, 2020

New article is unclassified evidence level 6

Since it’s not even an Expert opinion

Since journalists do not have expertise from an education and field expertise in the subject

Unless the article was written by a professional who worked in the field and has reviewed litterature and his giving his advice that becomes level 5

Which is still full of biases

Donal Trump is offering level 7 evidence, which is evidence going against scientific literature and against common sense

Even if there is no such thing as anything above level 5 evidence, since it’s not even worth reading for scientific purposes.

Anything you read from public opinion on social media falls in that unclassified, not to be ever read, category.

Orthopod | April 29, 2020

If you wanna read about the 5 levels of evidence, in a world where 99.9% of the shared evidence is not even Level 5.

https://www.orthobullets.com/basic-science/9081/level-of-evidence

derotam | April 30, 2020

@Orthopod: When you mentioned it the first time I looked it up. Thanks for the info, it would be helpful for lots of people around here...though a lot of people around here don't really care about that and simply parrot news headlines without looking at the source info.

Way too partisan around here, which causes people to not do their research.

SCCRENDO | April 30, 2020

Good start derotam. Keep reading.

derotam | April 30, 2020

You too!

SCCRENDO | April 30, 2020

I do

derotam | April 30, 2020

...hey you got jokes! You don't even read the study that is the bases of a news article that YOU post and that contradicts your statements in regards to said news article. I don't even think you read the story and just relied on the headline.

Orthopod | May 1, 2020

Derotam might have some level 5 evidence if he’s an engineer