Forums

Model 3 Manufacturing Site...at Gigafactory from the Start?

Model 3 Manufacturing Site...at Gigafactory from the Start?

Where do you think Model 3 production line will be set up?

At first, I believed it would be in the 80% of the Fremont factory that isn't currently used.

However, in speaking with an unnamed Tesla manager, I learned that the Gigafactory might be the initial and ongoing site.

If you have heard anything that sheds light on this, please post below.

Thanks!

Red Sage ca us | May 5, 2016

Elon was pretty clear that though they have some ideas about eventual expansion elsewhere (different continents), he believes that Fremont will be sufficient for some time, perhaps through a 1,000,000 unit annual capacity.

Bluesday Afternoon | May 5, 2016

Just read that Tesla is relocating their R & D and warehouse from Fremont to Livermore to make more space for Model 3 production lines.

carlk | May 5, 2016

I believe it will still be in the Fremont plant. Nothing else has been mentioned. However Motor Trend recently took pictures of a M3 there in the Gigafactory so there might be some activities there too.

SV Az | May 5, 2016

I thought motor trend requested for shoot at Gigafactory. They wanted Elon to be there to but that didn't work out.

JeffreyR | May 5, 2016

Paint shop was updated/expanded last summer to account for 500K units/year. Large amounts of raw materials go to GF. Lots of stamping and molding takes place in Fremont. No reason to replicate that in Sparks, yet.

yongliangzhu68 | May 6, 2016

Lets not forget that you probably don't have a large enough skilled & experienced work force for a large scale car production in Reno.

Red Sage ca us | May 6, 2016

Not everyone can do George Jetson's job.

Bluesday Afternoon | May 6, 2016

Good news for Nevada employment is the needed ramp up of the Gigafactory. If Tesla is to reach 500,000 delivered cars per year by the end of 2018 (truly hard to wrap my head around) then the Gigafactory transformation as a battery facility is the highest priority!

Badbot | May 6, 2016

Gigafactory is for battery production! from mined ore all the way to finished battery packs. remember 7000+ cells for each of a few hundred thousand cars comes to BILLONS of cells. and do not forget tesla energy, the power wall is likely 5000+ cells alone and the 2 meter commercial battery units hold 70,000 each and they have acres of these for leveling use for solar.

Freemont is auto assy. Auto production beyond its capacity will be Europe expansion to cut shipping cost across the pond.

Dithermaster | May 7, 2016

There is lots of room at Fremont, a plant designed to make 500K (more complex) cars/year.

david.jones24 | May 7, 2016

My guess is that the next factory built to assemble vehicles will be in EU or China. That's a long way away, though. The next 24 months are going to be critical for Tesla. If they can drop the price of the battery packs as forecast at the GF, and demand remains at its current levels, then it will literally change the world.

sbeggs | June 10, 2016

Based on visit to Reno last week, production for Model 3 definitely won't take place at Gigafactory.

CraigW | June 10, 2016

Production for the Model 3 will take place at the Fremont factory. The Giga factory is for battery manufacture.

IMO - wherever Tesla decides to build their 2nd production factory, they will also build another Giga factory nearby.

Red Sage ca us | June 11, 2016

The only question is, will it be East or West of the Pecos?

CraigW | June 11, 2016

Heh! heh! heh!

My guess it will be Europe first, then China, then another factory pairing in the U.S. - probably the south.