Forums

The X has landed at last!

The X has landed at last!

The Culmination of Plan B!

On April 22, 2014 I test drove a Model S in San Luis Obispo, CA while on a trip. On April 23 I reserved a Model X, RN 9378. I was 77 years old at the time so I didn't want to wait too long. I joined the Tesla Forum and learned a lot. It later became clear that the X was not going to be available any time "soon". I began to work on plan B, the acquisition and use of a Model S while waiting. I thought about buying. I thought about leasing. Then, one of the many brilliant forum contributors suggested that I purchase a demo model that I could later trade for the X, should it ever be completed. Why I dedicated myself to buying a 7 seat MX is a long story unto itself.

What a great idea! I traded a 2012 Honda Odyssey for a white S85 in February 2015 that was shipped from Maryland with 4400 miles on it. I named it Whitey. It was indistinguishable from new and had a new car warranty. It was built in November, 2014 and had the autopilot hardware. I put 11,000 miles on Whitey, including a couple of road trips, over the ensuing 15 months while waiting for the X. I had a blast. The car was perfect. The only issue was a cracked windshield caused by road debris, replacement paid for by insurance company.

As a retired electrical engineer, I enjoyed doing the math to determine the optimum road trip strategy subject to the constraints of rolling friction, air friction, battery capacity and charging profile and Supercharger limitations. I also had fun deriving what it would take for a Model S to compete with a gas-powered car on a road trip: weight reduction from 4800 to about 3200 pounds, battery capacity of about 135 kWh and Supercharger operation at 150 kW.

I am now 79 and have finally received my X90D (Whitey, jr.), albeit with some suboptimal design decisions (nonfolding second row and self-presenting front doors being most prominent). I am lucky to be in good health enabling me to outlast the many delays. I sold Whitey to a local Honda dealer after receiving the $7500 income tax credit plus the deduction of the residual sales tax after a trade. The dealer offered me enough more than Tesla to make a net $2,000 difference after taking into account Federal taxes. Next year I will receive another $7500 credit, this time for Whitey, jr. and another sales tax deduction. The economics of my sojourn through Teslaland have actually been quite favorable, all things considered. I essentially got to drive the S for 15 months for free, considering the added depreciation of the Honda over another 15 months. I'm a lucky guy. I just hope that Whitey, jr. is as solid as his predecessor. I know he will be quicker.

Thanks to all the Forum members who suffered through my many posts while waiting interminably for my X. I have enjoyed the interactions, the humor, the shared knowledge and the wisdom of you all. For what it is worth I will present a review of the MX in another thread,

jamesmd | May 31, 2016

Congrats George. Hope you enjoy it for many more healthy and happy years

georgehawley.fl.us | May 31, 2016

Go ahead. Make my day. Hit me in the head.

socalsam | May 31, 2016

Congrats George! Very happy for you.

carlk | May 31, 2016

Congrats George. I know you're the type of person who will enjoy the car and life better than most of us. Take care of yourself and Whitey, jr.

aesculus | May 31, 2016

George: Congratulations. I think you were one of icons here before I even made my reservation. Glad to see you finally getting your car before you move to the rest home. :-)

I've always dreamed of being an icon someday. 😜
😜

Oh, that's an emot-icon.

elguapo | May 31, 2016

Congrats George! Can't wait for the review. For now, drive and enjoy!

lilbean | May 31, 2016

Congrats George! Yay! So happy for you. May you be blessed with many more years ahead.

ernie | May 31, 2016

Way to go! Enjoy...

madodel | May 31, 2016

Welcome to the X Club!

Mom2Dancers | May 31, 2016

So happy for you, George! I hope you and Whitey Jr. get to enjoy many memorable adventures together. Congrats!

jjs | May 31, 2016

Congrats to the King. Long live the King.

Very happy for you George. I hope the road ahead is long and eventful.

DarthB | May 31, 2016

Congrats! May the X be with you!

David N | May 31, 2016

Congratulations

Triggerplz | May 31, 2016

Congrats George ENJOY!!!

jwh8000 | May 31, 2016

Congrats George from one old timer to another old timer. I'm about two weeks from my 90X delivery and looking foreword to it.

jestah | May 31, 2016

I vote George Chief Forum Electrical Engineer

Congrats !

dortor | May 31, 2016

Congratulations George - I hope you enjoy your X!

eric.zucker | May 31, 2016

Congratulations George! There is hope after all! Many safe journeys!

Frunkensteen | May 31, 2016

Awesome arrival of Jr -- Enjoy the X-hilera8ing feeling! We are all jealous of your Tesla grin.

rossRallen | May 31, 2016

Congratulations, George. It's been a long time coming. I hope you enjoy your X.
BTW - you can turn off the self-presenting door in Settings, so this should not a point of frustration. My own door is sometimes too eager to please.

lar_lef | June 1, 2016

Congrats, George, from another 79er.

sdj | June 1, 2016

Spectacular, the best laid plans ........... come to fruition. Well done.

Gert van Veen | June 1, 2016

I hope you enjoy the X, looking forward to your review.

jpboyerva | June 1, 2016

You're lookin good in that picture George. I'm 69 and Looking for FALCNX which should arrive in 3 weeks or so. Should look about like Whitey Jr. Cheers from Northern Virginia.

georgehawley.fl.us | June 1, 2016

Thanks, all. I like the car so far. It's better than expected, although I haven't "blown away" as predicted by Kimbal Musk a few weeks ago. Still, it is a very road-worthy car despite the goofy doors and second row "sculptures".

Had one minor flaw, a misaligned joint where the left front fender meets the headlight. I pressed it with my hand and it popped into place. No longer flawed but mysterious...

EternalChampion | June 3, 2016

It has been fun sharing your ride while enjoying my own experience with Apollo (P85D) and Artemis (X90D). Hope to read your stories for many years to come.