Forums

Analysts Predict Increase In Hatchback Sales In US: "A vehicle that “can carry my stuff".

Analysts Predict Increase In Hatchback Sales In US: "A vehicle that “can carry my stuff".

Sedan = "Dead man walking".

Trends in the auto industry change as often as preferences in the world of fashion. IHS Automotive tracks changes in the industry. It divides the automobile marketplace into 6 basic body styles. It says the hatchback is poised to make the largest percentage gain in popularity in the near term.

Right now, hatchbacks represent only 4.8% of light vehicle sales in the US, but IHS says that number will grow to 6.6% by 2020. That’s a 37% increase. The hatchback is the most popular light vehicle choice for Europeans. Almost 40% of new passenger vehicles on the continent are 5 door cars. That means most manufacturers already have hatchback designs in production. Most could be easily adapted to the American market if the demand from customers is there.

Honda is expected to offer a 5 door version of the Civic beginning with the 2017 model year. “Development of a hatchback for the Civic would happen with or without the U.S. market,” IHS analyst Stephanie Brinley says. “If it can help increase sales, it can be worth the effort and cost to bring it here.”

Chevrolet is also preparing a hatchback version of the Cruze for next year. The Mazda 3 and Ford Focus already are available as hatchbacks. Toyota will slap a new badge on the former Scion iM hatchback and market it as the Corolla iM. Last week, Volvo showed off two new small car designs. both of which are 5 door designs.

Many electric cars feature a hatchback, including the Toyota Prius, Chevy Volt, and the Nissan LEAF. The new Chevy Bolt is a 5 door car and the Hyundai Ioniq, which arrives later this year, will also be a hatchback. As excited as people are about the upcoming Tesla Model 3, there many were disappointed that the car is not a hatchback design and has a rather small trunk opening.

After studying potential Honda Civic buyers, Honda determined that “there is a growing market for [hatchback s], so we want to be on the forefront,” says Jeff Conrad, general manager of American Honda. The company’s research found more and more customers telling product planners they want a vehicle that “can carry my stuff.”

Buyers are showing a strong preference for smaller, more nimble crossovers with higher fuel economy. Models such as the Mazda CX-3, the Honda HR-V, and the Jeep Renegade are increasing in popularity and blurring the line between a hatchback and a crossover. Edmunds analyst Jessica Caldwell.

“Practicality and flexible cargo space are the big selling points of small crossovers,” says Jessica Caldwell of Edmunds.com. “That same reasoning can apply to hatchbacks.”

http://gas2.org/2016/06/06/analysts-predict-increase-hatchback-sales-us/
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160605/OEM04/306069959/is-the-hatch-back

cephellow | June 6, 2016

OP,
Back to beating that dead horse....
Yes yes, you are right. But it's not going to happen on the first model 3.

Drdpharris | June 6, 2016

But very likely the Y. So 'soon'.

dsvick | June 6, 2016

I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove ... they should change the design of the vehicle based on less than 5% of overall car sales in the US? As Drdpharris said, most likely for the Y but not the 3, at least not before 2020. If you don't want to buy the car without a hatch then don't, invest your $1,000 until they announce one you do like then buy that one.

Not only is the horse dead, but the stick is broken.

FREE ENERGY | June 6, 2016

dsvick...its like a dead man walking...its simply a design flaw ! In Europe extremly difficult to resell...no one buys trunks over here anymore. You are simply looked at as an idiot.

SUV + Hatchbacks out sells sedan in US as well.

DTsea | June 6, 2016

Ah, the old percent growth from small number conundrum typical phi.

Look... 1 in 25 cars in the US are hatches. It is really less because that doesnt count pickup trucks. They forecast growth to 1 in 17. Yippee! So phi declares it a design flaw not to tailor the car to 1 in 17 buyers.

How about this phi..... don't buy a model 3. Problem solved!

oh my, oh my...read the article one more time, look at the graphs %%%%% , and the text in particular, clear as pure water...SUVs + Hatchbacks out sells sedans, awith increasing numbers. Honda understand this, they all do. sedans are dead man walking :-)

Buy a 3 ? I will wait and see what Elon has promissed om Twitter...changes will come...to me a need a vehicle that “can carry my stuff.”

DTsea why pick on me, I have not written this article, call him instead !!!

yongliangzhu68 | June 6, 2016

Ø: So a car that doesn't conform to your specific wishes is "simply a design flaw"? :) How many threads variations on the M3 not having a hatchback will you post? You must be well into double digits by now. Are you shooting for 100? Also how many times must you keep reminding us how intelligent and sophisticated hatchback loving Europeans are compared to us ape like Americans who aren't smart enough to open one. We are so sorry we don't worship the almighty hatchback yet. Hopeful we will evolve up to your level one day and realize the world was created by the all knowing and powerful hatchback and anything else is a sin. :) :)

sp_tesla | June 6, 2016

"DTsea | June 6, 2016
don't buy a model 3. Problem solved!"

Take or leave it princess my way or the highway post,

dsvick | June 6, 2016

@phi "...its simply a design flaw ! In Europe extremly difficult to resell"

It's only a design flaw to someone that wants a hatchback, for the other 19 out of 20 people in the US it is not a design flaw. It may be more true in Europe but Europe is not where they sell the most vehicles.

carlk | June 6, 2016

"In Europe extremly difficult to resell"

That's just great. People in the US and Asia will thank you for not buying the car.

SUN 2 DRV | June 6, 2016

Ø: Yes many people would prefer a hatch back. If 375k reserved a sedan, imagine how many will reserve a future hatchback!!!!! But it's way too late for the sedan to morph into a hatchback.

So yes you are right, but it makes no difference.

zakeeus | June 6, 2016

I don't think anyone in the US is cross-shopping hatchbacks and SUVs. Based on your logic, Tesla should only make trucks. The main reason hatchbacks are increasing in popularity in the US is that they can only get more popular from where they are. Everything Tesla makes doesn't have to be the same. Models S, X, and Y will all meet your needs, be patient.

zakeeus | June 6, 2016

And I wouldn't call something that makes the vehicle more aerodynamic, increases rear head room, and gives you better rear visibility a design flaw.

JeffreyR | June 6, 2016

Requirements flaw, not a design flaw. If you want to get technical.

kwoo4424 | June 6, 2016

okay on this subject : now it's "dead horse walking"...

BTW me thinks Tesla makes a hatchback already .... it's called Model S ....

yongliangzhu68 | June 6, 2016

As many times as Ø has beat and will continue to beat that dead horse it MUST be a zombie horse. :)

KP in NPT | June 6, 2016

Ø I really think you need medication. There is help for you if you're willing to accept it.

bj | June 7, 2016

Welcome back Ø, we've missed you. You just can't let this go!

deeageux | June 7, 2016

Electric vehicles have horrible resale value.

Model S is the resale value champ for its category.

I am sure Model 3 resale value will do just fine including Europe.

FREE ENERGY | June 7, 2016

bj

hehehehehe yeppers, Im on a mission, a mission ensuring Teslas growth :-)

FREE ENERGY | June 7, 2016

Model s, in fact I do have 2 :-)

Bill Korea | June 7, 2016

An SUV is a hatchback that has been raised a few more inches off the ground. Extra ground clearance is useless on the road, and it adversely affects aerodynamics and handling, but it is an appealing marketing tool. Can millions of people be wrong about SUVs? Yes, my lemming.

DTsea | June 7, 2016

Wj said it phi. I pick on you because you keep posting the same thing over and over. Tesla is obviously not going to change the design for you.

DTsea | June 7, 2016

Wj said it phi. I pick on you because you keep posting the same thing over and over. Tesla is obviously not going to change the design for you.

Tiebreaker | June 7, 2016

A vehicle that “can carry my stuff".... F250 all-aluminum body pickup truck.

alseTrick | June 7, 2016

I don't want a station wagon-looking hatchback and I will never buy a station wagon-looking hatchback. The vast majority of Americans share that sentiment.

Should Tesla eventually produce a model like that for the miniscule American market but the much larger Euro market? Absolutely.

Analysts predict hatchbacks will gain less than 2% of total vehicle sales market share? WHOOPTY DOO.

Ross1 | June 8, 2016

What good would a Model S be without the hatch?

Ross1 | June 8, 2016

You lot are so intent on bullying Q that you have lost the plot.
Internet bullying is a crime in many countries.

chris.penrose | June 8, 2016

If a hatch was on offer I would take it in preference to a sedan. Same looks, more versatile.
It isn't so I will just buy the Model 3 for the wife, (and go AWOL with it in the weekends).

yongliangzhu68 | June 8, 2016

Ross: When you post the SAME thread 15 or 20 times and it is NOT related to the M3's final design what do you expect. What if I posted 15 for 20 threads about why the M3 is a "design flaw" and should have been (past tense since we know what the M3 is NOT) a pickup truck and that Europeans are obtuse for not understanding this???? It is not bully to point out the absurdity of reposting the same exact 'disguised' threads over and over and over and over and over and.......

dd.micsol | June 8, 2016

Please delete this topic. This forum member will not give up on the hatchback. He has 17 topics on it. A complete waste of cyberspace.

Tiebreaker | June 8, 2016

Ross: Model S is not a hatchback. "Model S is designed from the ground up to be the safest, most exhilarating sedan on the road. " Just happened to have a liftgate in the back. It is as much a hatchback as Porsche Panamera.

DTsea | June 8, 2016

Cyber bullying? that is some hardcore crybaby talk about a simple disagreement over phi and his 17 hatch posts.

DTsea | June 8, 2016

Cyber bullying? that is some hardcore crybaby talk about a simple disagreement over phi and his 17 hatch posts.

DTsea | June 8, 2016

Dont know why the phone posts twice....

Badbot | June 8, 2016

to quote Teddy Roosevelt

Bully!

mwenn1 | June 8, 2016

Wheres @Mclary when you need him?

DTsea | June 8, 2016

But to TR 'bully' meant 'Terrific!'

Drdpharris | June 8, 2016

I have noticed that my phone sometimes posts with the first push of save button, and sometimes needs the second save button pushed. I watch the refresh bar to see if the first push is woking, and if not, I push the second.

yongliangzhu68 | June 8, 2016

Drdpharris: Could be Mollom fooling around just trying to find something to hinder your post with. :)

Ross1 | June 8, 2016

@tiebreaker:
"Model S is not a hatchback"

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

Fancy stuffing your kids into the back of a sedan?

Perhaps you could define "hatchback"?

Drdpharris | June 8, 2016

I would expect the designers to move onto the next project after the model 3 is put to bed. Best guess would be the Y. Other than body parels and a rear-door, what else would be necessary? +/- wing doors, larger battery? Would seem to be a quick win. Might increase the prrssurr and possibly cannibalize 3 sales, so timing is important.

Badbot | June 8, 2016

they started the x before the s was produced

Red Sage ca us | June 8, 2016

The Volkswagen Golf is one of the best selling vehicles in the world. During 2014 over 960,000 of them were sold world wide. Even more, over 1,000,000 units sold during 2015. It typically comes in second or third place behind the Toyota Corolla worldwide year in and year out. But it doesn't even crack the top 25 vehicles sold in the US.

In fact, the best selling Volkswagen product in the US is the Jetta, which was #36 overall, and #18 among passenger cars during 2015. Of the 131,109 Jettas that were sold, the grand majority were Sedans. Only 2,671 of them, or 2.03% of its sales, were the SportWagen version. Though, they did sell 160,873 Jettas during 2014, of which 19,519 were the SportWagen, for 12.1% of its buyership.

Meanwhile, the Golf was #73 overall, and #33 among passenger cars, with 65,365 units sold in 2015. That was an improvement over 2014, when Volkswagen only managed to move 33,675 of them. The Golf SportWagen sold only 14,009 units, 21.5% of all Golf sales, and 12,391 fewer units than Tesla Model S during 2015. Obviously, Volkswagen knows how to sell this little hatchback, and people absolutely love them -- somewhere. But it is not a head turner in the US. One could perhaps blame this on the US propensity for buying SUVs, but the Volkswagen Tiguan only moved 35,843 units, and the Touareg was even worse at 7,037 units during 2015.

Ultimately, having a hatchback does not magically equate to massive sales in the US. In the US, Tesla Motors must be successful if they are to be taken seriously. And with passenger cars, none of the top ten vehicles are hatchbacks. They were actually all notchback Sedans, which represented over 3,000,000 vehicles sold combined, and among those only two were available as Coupes. At #11 the Ford Focus appears, and it is available as a hatchback.

Tiebreaker | June 9, 2016

@Ross: is Panamera a hatchback?

Please you define a hatchback.

Red Sage ca us | June 9, 2016

Ross: The Porsche Panamera is a hunchback.

yongliangzhu68 | June 9, 2016

Red Sage ca us: Actually it is a crapback.

I have always respected Porsches but have never cared for their intense love of the sloping rear end (although I do love the boxer ICE design). The newest 911 and Boxster clean it (literally) up a lot. However the Panamera has always been the ugliest enigma of a design to me, especially the back. The only saving grace is looking straight own from the front. Any other angle and ..........I see that thank back there and wand how anyone could see that as endearing in any way.

Pages