Forums

Silver, Mrs. Silver & Mclovin trip to Maine and even got a couple of hummers in McLovin!! :)... OHHHHH YEAAAAH

Silver, Mrs. Silver & Mclovin trip to Maine and even got a couple of hummers in McLovin!! :)... OHHHHH YEAAAAH

George H's home in Kennebunkport
the new 40 tired...
had root beer here :)

scarborough
scarborough
scarborough
scarborough
scarborough cook and victims
Ogunquit. this is behind Beachmere hotel
Ogunquit. great place for coffee and dessert
Ogunquit, the lobster shack
Ogunquit, the lobster shack

Bighorn | September 12, 2016

Look for restaurants with "shack" in the title.

Run4Waffles | September 12, 2016

Love Shack?

Silver2K | September 12, 2016

is that where they catch fresh lobsters and boil them on the spot?
or does everything have shack in it!?

...baby, love shack!

So you're not shacking up?

oh we're shacking up alright!

txakoli | September 12, 2016

I haven't eaten in Kennebunkport, but I had a great meal at Fore Street in Portland, about 30 miles north.

If you're venturing even farther north, then Shaw's Fish & Lobster Wharf Restaurant (it's a lobster shack) in New Harbor is very good.

thanks tx

Bear in mind that I managed to eat lobster 9 meals in a row. With 3 days you'll have a tough time beating that:)

I wouldn't eat lobster 9 meals in a row. But if I'm being dared..... and I am staying in Maine 4 days (3 nights)... I still wouldn't do it :)

I would get sick of lobster if I did that.

KP in NPT | September 12, 2016

If you do make it up to Portland, I really enjoyed Central Provisions and Duckfat when I was there last year. I think we are going again next month, on our way back from Acadia.

If Elizabeth T. says it's good, I believe her! :)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/duckfat-portland?hrid=iSkW1AQuwgVSY1EEa1EYhQ&ad...

I have another question for you lobster freaks (looking at @Bighorn). Do you eat the whole lobster (guts included)?? I usually just focus on the tail and claws, but my sister in law eats the guts which looks disgusting!!

mp1156

that Cuban sandwich looks amazing!! is it authentic?

barrykmd | September 12, 2016

I lived in Portsmouth, NH for a short time in the mid 80s, so hopefully some of this still applies. More amazing restaurants per capita than anywhere else.

We used to go for Lobstah to Newicks in Dovah, NH, right on the bay.

Visting Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth is a worthwhile stop. If you're into shopping, there's Kittery.

I don't eat the guts - my husband does disassemble the body to get the knuckle meat (where legs meet body) but I can't be bothered - too much work and too messy. I don't know anyone who eats the guts. (And we go get lobster 3 blocks from our house, all the time.)

I did not have the Cuban - though I might next time. I had the confit and fries. Btw if you are a fois gras fan, you can get a whole lobe at Central provisions. I think it's $100. ;)

$100 for liver?
I hate liver :)

Barrykmd, is the lobstah riveting there?

WHAT?! I thought all tesla owners liked fois gras and caviar and grey poupon?! Imposter.

not this tesla owner!
I like to keep it simple and wallet friendly :)

vpoz | September 12, 2016

Go a little way down the coast to Ogunquit.. Park at the beach and walk the coast path to Perkins Cove.. Nice lobster places there!

wow!!

that a lot of restaurants!

there's a place for r4w!!

minderbinder | September 12, 2016

The "shack" comment was spot on - the "Clam Shack" is the place for lobster rolls, It's on the Kennebunk side of the bridge in the center of town. The only choice you need to make is butter or mayo on the roll (as it should be). Note that it is truly a shack, so no indoor seating - just a few outdoor tables.

Just down the road in Wells (about 10 miles) is the Fisherman's Catch - classic NE fried seafood and lobster in the true roadside style.

For those non-New Englanders chuckling over the town names - you may remember Kennebunkport as the home of Bush Sr.'s family compound. It's still there, and so are they.

When I'm working on world records, I tend to do lobster rolls and prepared dishes. A couple whole lobsters and your hands can get a bit beat up. I'll sample the tomalley if I'm hungry, but don't crave it. Bring warm clothes and be prepared to eat outside on picnic tables for some of the better places.

barrykmd | September 12, 2016

I also recall an excellent ice cream place on a hill in York, ME by a lighthouse. Unfortunately, don't remember any more detail.

my wife is asking now.

what is a must see and must do?

by the way, great suggestions!

jfemd.va.us | September 12, 2016

Clam Shack, Hurricane, Pilot House all good!

I'm really disappointed @Silver. I gave you a rundown of a number of places. Now I have to type them all out again on the phone. Ugh.

Grin

Shesmyne2 | September 12, 2016

tails, claws, knuckles, rolls, bisque..
If it's lobster I'll have it.

Still Grinning :-)

My recommendations - Cape Neddick lighthouse in York. The ice cream place "around the corner" is Brown's. It was rebuilt last year. You get to see more of the houses, the shore and the views of you walk a few miles. The Goldenrod for saltwater taffy made before your eyes. Decent food there too. There's other small shops the walk around too.

Stop at When Pigs Fly Bread for some incredible breads. All kids. It's a must do. Kittery.

All kinds of outlets in Kittery. You have to visit The Kittery Trading Post. Plan a couple of hours.

The Weathervane Restaurant is across for there. They were an excellent seafood place. I haven't been recently. Check Yelp.

Walking Perkins Cove as I mentioned previously and as @pvoz said.

I think of some others for you.

I think I'm bringing our bicycles. they should fit inside the car easily. they fold nicely

And don't eat the guts of the lobster. That's just gross. Do you eat fish guts?

ColonyGolfer | September 12, 2016

You cannot beat Joshua's in Wells.

that's what I thought R4W!

my sister in-law adds hot sauce to it and eats it. I tell her you know that's shit right? she says it's good...

If you bring the bikes, park at the south end of Long Sands Beach in York. The ride up to the Cape Neddick Lighthouse and then continue hugging the coast to Short Sands Beach. That's where Goldenrods is. Visit some shops and then bike back to the car. (We run that.) Some nice houses along the way.

ok I like that idea

are the bikes safe?

It's not shit, it's organs, but they can harbor toxins

there's definitely shit in there! :)

Silver2K | September 13, 2016

@bighorn

do you honestly believe the lobster takes it's last poop and wipes before being boiled or do you think the boiling water scared the shit out of it?

also, will the bikes be safe without locks?

Bighorn | September 13, 2016

The intestinal tract is limited to the tail--easier to devein than a shrimp. The green tomalley paste isn't considered waste.

wow, never knew that poop was limited to the tail. learn something new every day!

Half Dollar Bill | September 13, 2016

Maine Diner in Wells. Homestyle cooking and great pies.
Condon's Doughnuts in Wells. Donuts for sure, but also a breakfast and lunch place. Chocolate covered bacon. Yum!
Barnacle Billy's in Perkins Cove. Deck overlooking the only pedestrian drawbridge in Maine (I think).
If you're going up to Acadia, Jordan Pond House. Pop-overs with ice cream.

It is truly a super-human feat to resist getting in the car and driving up right now after typing the above.

Half Dollar Bill | September 13, 2016

Old Orchard Beach has an amusement park on the beach.
The Delorme Map Store in Freeport has a huge rotating replica of the Earth, and is a map-lover's paradise.
Agree on visiting Cape Neddick Lighthouse and Marginal Way in York/Ogunquit.
The Stonewall Kitchen corporate store is right outside of Kittery.
If you're a lighthouse nut, Maine's your place.
If you go to Acadia, take the horse-drawn carriage ride through the park.
Margaret Todd schooner in Bar Harbor. 4 masted boat taking an hour or so tour around Mount Desert Island.

I'm getting my suitcase out.

Run4Waffles | September 13, 2016

Breakfast at the Purple Palace in York is a hoot. There original owners still work there and are like in their 80's or something. Cash only. It's always a treat and always await. Unless you get wicked lucky. Which we do! GRIN

And of course @BH is correct about the tomalley. Why wouldn't he be. :-p

Don't eat that crap! Unless you eat cow tongue and pigs feet that is.

hah! I'll see you there on Friday @Dollar!
some really nice tips! thank you!

@r4w
also a great tip! I like waking up early and i'll try to get the wifey up, but I gotz this feelin' she's going to feast on the hotel breakfast... I will try my best to get her there!

I'm going to print this thread and have wife yellow out what she wants

Checkout Josie's Sweetshop in York. It has a soda fountain in the back.

Bike locks - I wouldn't take a bike anywhere without locking it. That's not to imply it's not safe. It is safe.

Pages