Forums

2.0 autonomous capabilities?

2.0 autonomous capabilities?

Will 2.0 eventually (with repeated software upgrades) be fully autonomous in which the driver does not have to hold the steering wheel or even sit in the driver's seat? Could the driver eventually sit in the rear seat? Could the driver eventually go to sleep on a mattress in the rear hatch and wait until his Model S arrives at its destination?

Anthony J. Parisio | October 30, 2016

That is the goal for it.

kagai | October 30, 2016

Yes - it will be able to do all that - but I think it's fair to say that it won't be LEGALLY allowed to drive without someone in the driver's seat - certainly not in within the next year.

So, once you have all that functionality - all you need to do is figure out how to nap in the driver seat without accidentally touching the steering wheel or pedals and causing it to veer off course

murphyS90D | October 30, 2016

There are lots of edge cases. There is an intersection a few miles from my house where the traffic lane becomes the right turn lane. The through lane requires steering to the left. It is well marked with a right turn arrow in the center of the lane. 1.0 always gets it wrong and I have to force it into the through lane.

kagai | October 30, 2016

@murphyS90D

I don't know how soon Tesla algorithms will improve to account for such conditions, but all that is programmable.

I read about a Google car demonstration that showed that it could actually read the portable road signs that Road Construction workers use (Stop/Go), in sections of the road that are temporarily shared by traffic on both sides due to construction.

kevin | October 30, 2016

Autonomous trucks are legal in Nevada.

brando | October 31, 2016

Reminder: Don't order what is not currently offered. If there is some feature you really want, wait till it is offered, already working in the car. Don't purchase "hoping" some feature will arrive in a software update. Of course if you want perfection, look to the after life, perhaps. Tesla's are a journey on the road to perfection (continuous improvement). And NO, you will not get a road map of future development plans and it would not have definite/accurate time tables either.

Dreaming is good. Just don't confuse dreams with your current reality and we still don't know if we are in a simulation. Elon claims even he is not sure if he is in a simulation (sorry an insiders joke, I guess).