Forums

Will LCD air bubble affect the display's function?

Will LCD air bubble affect the display's function?

My husband noticed just this week that there's an air bubble on the right side of the center LCD. It's about 1.5x0.25 inches. It doesn't affect the color of the display. I had to look closely to see it. Just wondering whether other owners have had air bubbles which eventually rendered the display useless or whether the LCD can be expected to operate fine for a long time.

TeslaTap.com | November 8, 2016

While rare, it has occurred to other owner's cars. The display should function fine, but I suggest contacting service. You might schedule it with another event such as a tire rotation or annual service. Also check that they have the MCU in stock before you go in.

ssarker | November 11, 2016

After 3 years, my 17" monitor has developed 2 little bubbles (about 5 mm each) right next to the T emblem, so, no, they don't affect function, yet. I am monitoring the little guys to see if they start growing. I am going in for my 62.5 k service in a week and plan to mention it.

Tâm | November 11, 2016

@EESROCK

Get some paper tissue ready to catch leaking liquid from the dispaly!

It's LCD which stands for LIQUID crystal diode.

njelectric | November 12, 2016

Service told me it was the glue that laminates the screen. Mine started out as some bubbles on one side and then some on the other side. The screen was always fully functional but the goo started dripping out of the bottom of the screen. It took several months for this to start to happen but once it does it is kind of a mess. Service replaced the screen.

Silver2K | November 12, 2016

It actually add functionality! When you're board at the SC, you can play with the bubbles :)

I would get it replaced if you have a warrantee.

Dramsey | November 12, 2016

It's LCD which stands for LIQUID crystal diode.

Um, no. It stands for "Liquid Crystal Display". In fact there are no diodes in the display itself. Lots of transistors, though.

AoneOne | November 12, 2016

@Tâm: Nitpick: LED is Light Emitting Diode, but LCD is Liquid Crystal Display.

Polybius | August 21, 2019

#drivegate

Polybius | August 21, 2019

#drivegate