Forums

The use of cameras for Fully self driving

The use of cameras for Fully self driving

All,
I have watch the video so many times. It is so cool. But I have a question for you all to weight in on.

First AP2 has 8 cameras. This video is only utilizes 3. And it is not only 3 cameras that I am curious about. It is the 3 specific camera that I have question on. There are 3 cameras on the back of the rear view mirror, it only uses the medium range came, why not the other 2 too? makes sense, right? Then why use the 2 right and left rearward cameras? Wouldn't it make sense to use the 2 forward cameras (on the B-pillars) instead of the rearward facing cameras (on the Tesla badges)? Keep in mind that through out the video, the car is only driving forward. Parallel parking toward the end is using mostly ultrasonic sensors.

or maybe it does use all 8 cameras but this video only shows us 3 views? Of course, I limit the discussion on cameras only, not talking about radar and sonic sensors.

Your thoughts?

elguapo | December 25, 2016

I don't think they're showing all of the cameras it is actually using. Also, they don't have a use for all 8 right now. They don't have the software for it.

poloX | December 25, 2016

I know they don't have the SW yet, but posting a video using the rearward camera while driving forward is strange.

mathwhiz | December 25, 2016

Watching videos is good, but one must read...

Excerpted from - "Learn more about Camera Views, Radar and Ultrasonics":

Wide, Main and Narrow Forward Cameras
Three cameras mounted behind the windshield provide broad visibility in front of the car, and focused, long-range detection of distant objects.

Wide-
120 degree fisheye lens captures traffic lights, obstacles cutting into the path of travel and objects at close range. Particularly useful in urban, low speed maneuvering.

Main-
Covers a broad spectrum of use cases.

Narrow-
Provides a focused, long-range view of distant features. Useful in high-speed operation.

Rear View Camera-
Not just for backing up safely, the rear view camera is now a contributing member of the Autopilot hardware suite with enhanced optics. The rear view camera is useful when performing complex parking maneuvers.