Forums

Stats for Tesla (iOS app)

Stats for Tesla (iOS app)

I've just published my new app "Stats: for Tesla Model S/X"
Screenshots and video and link to the App Store here:
http://apps976.wixsite.com/quicktesla

In addition to the usual controls and stats, it includes the following unique features:
- Records statistics related to your charging sessions and your driving efficiency. You can also export these stats as a spreadsheet.
- Stats related to "phantom drain" (charge/range lost while car is parked)
- Climate scheduling
- Sends you a notification if you forget to close all doors (and trunk) and walk away from the car (which prevents the car from locking itself).

If you have feature requests, I'd like to hear from you.

mhxprs | January 26, 2017

very cool.

info | January 27, 2017

Why not for Andriod?

Leli001 | January 27, 2017

Andriod?

ajoshi84 | January 27, 2017

What kind of data/info is stored on your servers :-)

StatsApp | January 27, 2017

"Why not Android?"
Because I'm an independent developer who writes only iOS apps. This is not my day-job. I'm a new Tesla owner.

@ajoshi84: I don't have any servers and this app does not have a backend. All communication is between your iPhone and Tesla servers. One good thing about iOS is that apps go through a very rigorous review by Apple and they are very sensitive about security.

zubinanary | January 27, 2017

@Rezaii, Did you know that as an iOS developer, you have access to CloudKit? You can use that as your back-end, and for every user [aka Apple ID] that uses you app, you get free storage. Storage is divided up as public shared for your app (shared amongst all the users who use your app) and private space (space dedicated for that particular user of your app. With that, you really don't need any free cloud storage. It supports CoreData in CloudKit, so you can begin to store everything in there, plus you can use it as a way to backup local app data and restore it if a user resets their iPhone.

Take a look at the WWDC 2016 session on CloudKit. It can be very powerful if used correctly, especially since they provide free storage per app and incremental storage for each user of your app.

URL = https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/226/

StatsApp | January 29, 2017

@zubinanary Yes, of course. QuickTesla makes use of Apple's CloudKit. That's how you get the same stats on all your devices. I'm a big fan of CloudKit and use it in most of my apps.

When I said the app doesn't have a backend, I meant a non-Apple backend. Of course, only charging session stats and driving efficiency stats are stored on iCloud (all encrypted and in user's private database which is only visible by the user)

I'm adding new features to the app in the coming week:
- New feature: App reminds you if the battery level is low (user specified) and the car is at home (user specified location) and it's not plugged in. Of course, the feature is optional and can be disabled, if desired.
- New feature: You can change the cost for a charging session by tap-and-hold on the cost bar-chart
- User can now specify the unit of currency

Realure | January 30, 2017

As a feature request, programmable start/stop times for those of us that have TOU electricity metering.

mhxprs | January 30, 2017

I downloaded and once I connect to my cloud, it is keep crashing. What should I do? :)

@MaaDoTaa I downloaded and once I connect to my cloud, it is keep crashing. What should I do? :)

StatsApp | January 30, 2017

@reeler that's exactly what I'm working on for the next release. Specifically, the user can specify the end-time for charge and the app controls the start time so that the charge finishes at the user-specified time.

@mhxprs That was a bug in v1.0 of the app. Please update the app from the App Store (latest version is 1.1). It was released yesterday (Jan 29)

Leeo | January 30, 2017

I would buy it in a minute but it doesn't work with iOS 9

@MaaDoTaa Thanks. It updated by itself. Cool. Now it is fine

mhxprs | January 31, 2017

@MaaDoTaa How is the Driving Efficiency (%) is calculated on your app. My collected data indicate I have around 57 - 65 % efficiency, but you app show 82% which is much better than the one I have. Just curious.

StatsApp | January 31, 2017

@mhxprs Driving efficiency in QuickTesla is the ratio of the "estimated range" to "rated range". Both of these values are reported by Tesla. The "estimated range" is over a period of ~30 miles and it depends on your driving habits.

How do you get the "57 - 65 % efficiency" figures

mhxprs | January 31, 2017

@MaaDoTaa. I get my number from
actual milage / charged milage. Obviously, estimated milage is not appropriate. At this point, I can never reach 80% efficiency. Do they report actual milage and battery reading before and after charge? If not, the information is not very useful. thanks

StatsApp | February 1, 2017

@mhxprs yes, charged mileage is available and it is shown in the main screen of the app. But the corresponding actual miles is not available and I don't think it can be measured accurately because to do so requires you to measure the number of miles that you've actually driven to deplete the battery to the same level before the last charge. For one thing, you may never deplete the battery to the same level.
I think relying on Tesla's estimated range which is calculated algorithmically by Tesla is reasonable.

StatsApp | February 1, 2017

@mrrjm I may add ios9 support. I just doesn't want to deal with a two year old IOS as IOS 10 had been out for a while and IOS users typically upgrade quickly.

mhxprs | February 1, 2017

@MaaDoTaa Is the actual mileage displayed on Odometer?
Here is the link to my measurement.

date "Odometer" "start battery mile" "end battery mile" "charged miles" efficiency
1/2/2017 253 61 211 150
1/6/2017 339 62 187 125 57.7
1/12/2017 418 53 236 183 58.9
1/14/2016 479 144 184 40 Home charge 66.3
1/15/2017 557 84 84 0 trip to sfo 78
1/21/0207 643 118 198 80
1/25/2017 729 50 213 163 58.1
1/28/2017 793 115 213 98 65.3

Long distance always have better efficiency than local drive. But compare my data with Tesla data, Tesla always give better numbers.

Regards,

StatsApp | February 2, 2017

@mhxprs Can you please define these terms: "start battery mile" "end battery mile" "charged miles"

mhxprs | February 2, 2017

@MaaDoTaa that refer to the reading on Rated Range. What I did is I write down the reading of Rated Range before I charge, and when finished charging, I write rated range down again. The difference is the charged miles. Then I drive till next time to charge again. So I need to rows to calculate the efficiency. For example, on 1/2/2017, I have odometer reading 253 mile, I started at 61 rated range to charge, when finish, it is 211 rated range. I charged 150 miles rated range. Then I drove until my rated range reading is 62 (date is 1/6/2017). At this point, my odometer reads 339. The rate = (339-253)/(211-62) *100 = 86 / 149 * 100 = 57.7%. Regards

mhxprs | February 3, 2017

@MaaDoTaa what new feature are you going to put in the software?

StatsApp | February 3, 2017

Just added a new feature:
App reminds you if the car is not plugged in and the charge is below a certain level and the car is parked at home.
Use the link on top if you're interested in beta testing this feature.

StatsApp | February 4, 2017

Another new feature:
Integrated several Tesla forums and new sites in the app.
Also, you can search this forum from within the app

rossRallen | February 6, 2017

Great app! More useful information than the Tesla iOS app.

StatsApp | February 9, 2017

@rossRallen thanks much. More features to come soon.

StatsApp | April 16, 2017

Added a new feature:
Stats for :Phantom Drain". Phantom Drain refers to the charge that the car loses when it is parked. The app displays a chart that shows how much chart you have lost in what duration of time and where.

Also, all stats can be grouped as weekly and monthly (in addition to daily).

Upcoming feature: send an address from your iOS device to your car

StatsApp | April 23, 2017

Added another new feature: **Send an address from Google Map or Apple Map on your phone to your car**

You can lookup an address using "Apple Map" or "Google Map" app on your iPhone/iPad and send it to your car without any typing using my "Stats for Tesla" app. I added this feature a few weeks ago.

Video demo (scroll to the bottom of the page):
http://apps976.wixsite.com/quicktesla

francoisbitz | April 25, 2017

That alone is worth buying the app for!
Thanks and keep it up!

SteveMost | February 17, 2018

@MaaDoTaa - I love using your APP!
So great! Please keep the upgrades coming...

StatsApp | August 1, 2018

Thank you all for your kind comments and for using the app. New features are coming soon. iOS 12 also has an exciting new feature called "voice shortcuts" which I'm planning to add shortly after iOS 12 is released to the public.

If you have a suggestion, please send it to me using the "Support" button in the app.

FieldGuide | August 5, 2018

I was looking into your app and was wondering, does this fully log when the car starts/stops pulling a charge from your home unit and also how many kWh it’s pulling? Can you set some defaults such as custom monthly kWh pulled from home (ie electric billing periods such as aug5-sep5 2018 usage) and compare to supercharge etc?

reason I ask is because some people have noticed their cars randomly pulling electricity excessively throughout the night when the cars shouldn’t it helped pinpoint a problem with either the charger on the car or possibly their hpwc.

Gilles Concordel | February 22, 2019

Hello StatsApp,

I just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtqtWxdE_kk . This is just what I need!

I would love to use your app! However, I am an Android user. Any hope your lovely app might soon be available for those of us who live on the dark side?

Please let me know!

Gilles