Forums

The Wait is Killing Me

The Wait is Killing Me

I ordered my MS on 1/15 and can't stop obsessing about it. I thought I could wait, this but this is TORTURE!!! I do realize that if there ever was a first world problem this would be at the top of the list but I've done everything I can think of

Install garage charger - check
Read Owner's Manual Companion / FAQ page - Check
Obsessively check the Google Spreadsheet on Order/Delivery (average delivery time from Order to Delivery in US for Jan to Mar 17 50.85714 days) - Check
Read everything I can find on the AP 2.0 saga - check
Spend endless hours on this forum - check
Follow Musk's Twitter account - check
Watch tons of Tesla videos on Youtube - check
Only reserve hotels with destination charging available for all my trips coming up - check

Every time I see a Tesla on the road I'm tempted to follow and talk to the owner, then I realize that might be borderline stalking (I even looked it up.....it's on the "Are you a Stalker Checklist"....and now I know why they have that checklist).

After all that, it's only been 19 days 3 hours and 6 minutes since order confirmation. AND production has been shutdown this week.....sigh!! How did you all cope with the wait?

KP in NPT | February 10, 2017

Ha welcome to the club and the wait every single one of us has obsessed about.) I went on vacation during the wait as a distraction. ;)

You could slink around superchargers to chat with owners. :)

-Gman- | February 10, 2017

Enjoy these pre-Tesla halcyon days!

The obsession doesn't stop post-Tesla.
You'll become more invested in this forum.
You'll talk non-stop about all things Tesla.
You might become "that Tesla guy".
Your friends and family grow sick of hearing about it, and prohibit the T-word at meals.
Your wife will get impatient as you answer all questions by passer-bys, long after your supercharging is complete.
You sole confidant will be your strong, silent, electric friend (it gets you like *she* never could!)
You might decide you're better off on long road trips.
You'll start shopping for air mattresses that fit in the back of a Model S, and electric shavers that plug into USB ports.
(Here the story turns really sad and lonely) you start a blog to chronicle your trips, in excruciating detail.

ACH | February 10, 2017

haha @ Gman....I'm already "that Tesla guy" at work and have already had multiple discussions about well to wheel efficiency. Maybe I should start thinking about the name of my blog....

KP in NPT | February 10, 2017

My husband eye rolls me every day. And technically it's "his" car, even though I drive it 10x more than he does.. You should have seen him when I told him to book me a hotel near our service center so I could get in line before dawn for my model 3 reservation. (But....he did it.) LOL!!!

croman | February 10, 2017

The obsession gets worse when you get your car but this stage is frustrating because you can't drive the dream. In a month or so you'll enjoy. I've bought like 5k worth of accessories since I got my car. Storage and new wheels and winter tires. Finally getting to the point when maybe I can relax a little.

RedJ | February 10, 2017

I gave up after a week and switched my order to an inventory vehicle even though I had to pay more for features I hadn't planned on getting. Even then the 6 day wait for the vehicle to be shipped from LA to Fremont was torture :)

murphyS90D | February 10, 2017

You have it easy. The first purchasers waited years. My first car took 4 months.
You didn't mention reading the Owner's Manual in addition to the companion.
Five times cover to cover, not skimming, is about right.

Chavo60 | February 10, 2017

Same boat as you... ordered confirmed on Jan 14th and every day seems like an eternity! I've started a YouTube video since about.... you guessed it... My Tesla car.... but the star of the show is missing lmao

NKYTA | February 10, 2017

@murphy nailed it. ;-)

White epoxy on your garage floor? That'll take some time. :-)

MidLifeCrisis | February 10, 2017

We are in the same boat and I have done everything on your list! Except I DID stalk a few people at the closest SuC.
They were super nice and seemed to enjoy waxing poetic about their vehicles. I JUST CAN'T WAIT! My husband thinks I am having the old "mid-life crisis", but is okay with is because he says that even though this car is expensive, it is still cheaper than me leaving him for a " younger model". Hee Hee. I love that man.

ACH | February 10, 2017

The closest Super Charger is 50 miles away for me. I don't think "Hey Hon you want to drive a 100 miles to go stalk some strangers" will work very well....:).

I think I see what Gman said earlier ......this can get lonely really quick.

SamO | February 10, 2017

@ACH,

Find a bar/restaurant near your closest Supercharger. Then you have a friend captive to preach the gospel of free (then cheap) electrons.

Have you bought TSLA shares yet? That's when obsession can get weird. ;-)

Jama | February 10, 2017

Patience- not check

Newampster | February 10, 2017

I owned a retail furniture business for 25 years. The happiest clients were those who were willing to take the time and think through the options, order and wait for what was "just right" for them. Think of the frustration people feel when they know exactly what they want and wander through retail outlets hoping to find it. Sad. Most car salesman earn their money by selling cars that are "almost" what is requested. This beauty has almost everything you wanted, except it is purple, but I will give you a good deal ( if you will buy what no one else wants). Tesla's model is the best. You think about it and you get exactly what you want. I did that in May 13 & and I am now just days away from delivery of my new S90D. The anticipation builds as we wait, and that is a good thing. If you can't stand the pressure and want to compromise, select an inventory car. My feeling is increased satisfaction is worth the wait.

Wprather | February 10, 2017

You mentioned watched "Tesla Videos". There are hundreds of customer videos you can subscribe to that are fantastic. Just search Youtube for Tesla and see what you find. I follow probably 30 different users included Tesla. Lots of great customers VLOGing, most trying to get you to use their referral code but in doing so producing some great videos. You may have already found these.....

jman | February 10, 2017

Congrats !!!! Have your phone or camera ready for photos. Figure what kinds of shots you want when you get the delivery. Video of first drive from passenger perhaps. DON'T see a music playlist for first drive, that is a MUST !!! Creating that alone will be fun. I created one for each of the first few drives with particular people in mind.
Your timing is perfect btw, with new autopilot features and front as well as many other upgrades, little ones but still, over past year, you will be having one amazing automobile.
Don't see the name you will be giving your baby....if you ask you will get suggestions or what people name theirs, I drive the batmobile, I know not original but I like it...
Enjoy the build up, as painful as it may be, and you will surely enjoy every drive going forward more than you ever have in any other vehicle....

kevin | February 10, 2017

One thing to do is to add your car to the Model S Delivery Spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XZiDkogRyBqHMEnlWJT4HA8BKxYjR5J-...

I assume you're reading Electrek.co daily.

I don't know which videos you watched, but Bjorn Nyland has a ton of them on YouTube. Start with the first one with his Model S. https://youtu.be/aZNlG4V4Pl8

Install Tesla app on your smartphone

Check eBay for a good price on a Tesla Owner's Club hat.

Pick a name for your car

Plan some road trips with the various trip planners.

ACH | February 10, 2017

Thank you guys for all the feedback and great suggestions!!
@Newampster I definitely plan on waiting to get the MS, just wish the wait was not as long.:)
@jman I'm going to get started on the playlists...thanks for that suggestion. Kids are debating names, will see how that goes.
@Kevin I did add my car to the Google Spreadsheet and thanks for the link to Nyland. Started planning trips with EV Trip Planner. Electrek and Teslarati are now on my daily reading list.

RNEberun20 | February 11, 2017

I cant even imagine your level of anxiety. I have obsessed over Tesla for years and finally put in down payment on a CPO. I anticipate ordering one in a couple years but the car I want will be over $100K and I can't quite stomach that yet. I am writing this one week into my wait for inspection and delivery. I have never sprung for vanity plates but since we are getting a P85 I am really pushing the wife for something like "RACE ME" or "BUH BYE" or the ironic "VROOM" but she is being very resistant.

BigD0g | February 11, 2017

Congrats!!! My wait just ended yesterday, and hopefully it will help to know it was totally worth the two month wait!! Best car ever, just a marvel of engineering!!

sunnyvale45 | February 11, 2017

I order my cpo on 1/8 and think it about daily!!!!!

bp | February 12, 2017

I've had my S P85 for 4 years/80K miles. We placed an order for a new S 100D on the first day (in production now!). The plan is to trade in my wife's ICE; she'll get the "old" S P85 and I'll drive the new 100D.

At this point, I think she's more excited about getting to drive a Tesla every day, then I am in getting a new Tesla with longer range and many features that weren't available on the early cars.

murphyS90D | February 12, 2017

@bp

Who leaves first in the morning? If it's your wife you may find that she took the 100D and you get the P85.

NKYTA | February 12, 2017

:-)

bill | February 12, 2017

No you can join us in waiting for AutoPilot!

ACH | February 13, 2017

For those of you through the wait, do you guys remember what time of the day you got your "car is in production" email? Just curious if that always happens in the middle of the night or it could be any time of the day?

ken.hixson | February 13, 2017

I went almost from "In Production" to Delivery in 2 days. Biggest problem with Tesla (good from them but not always for us) is they time deliveries to maximize end of quarter results so the first cars are those that have the longest shipping times. The closer to the factory you live the later in the quarter they put your car into production.

When I ordered in Oct 2016 they showed Nov 2016 delivery. I took delivery 12/26 (yes it had arrived prior to Christmas but they wouldn't let me have if until the day after Christmas!

It was agony checking status every day and seeing no movement, especially when November came and went. I think it finally showed in production on 12/21 and Delivery on 12/22. They refused to schedule the delivery until the detailer finished with it.

It was beautiful when we did pick it up the night of 12/26 and we could only drive it home and in the morning had to drop it off at the tint/wrap shop all day to have the windows and paint protected. The time has flown by now that we have it and it has new rims and ceramic coating over the clear wrap. It is definitely the prettiest car we have owned - and the most expensive.

Was it worth the wait? Well I can now say yes but not during the wait - that was painful.

BigD0g | February 13, 2017

@ACH, i'd put 0 stock in the emails, I got my your car as entered production email on a teusday and on wednesday my DS was saying my car completed production and was being prepared for delivery. Your DS will have the most up to date information. My car apparently entered production 1.5 weeks before as I asked for my production date to see if I got the seatbelt fix or not that occurred on all vehicles after 1/23.

MV | February 13, 2017

Ordered MS on 12/31. ETA Feb or Early March. Gone thru the complete checklist many times. Garage painted white except floor which is light gray already. Thinking about Lic plate. One trip to MTN View Superchargers on Sunday. They are pretty busy. Only one open slot at that time. Got email from DS "...we should have you behind the wheel by March.....Your Model S is estimated to enter production early-March..".

bp | February 14, 2017

Ordered my S 100D on the first day it was available.

It went into production a few days ago, though I only received the "in production" message late yesterday afternoon. And a few minutes ago (14 hours after the in production message was sent), the car is now complete!

When my S P85 was shipped to me 4 years ago, the nearest service center was 1000 miles away. So Tesla had UPS deliver my car (which they subcontracted). Their truck hit a deer on the way, but my car appeared to be OK - and they delivered it to my front door (no one from Tesla was there).

I suspect the delivery process will be much better this time around, since I'll be able to pick it up at a Service Center...

thegangler | February 14, 2017

Wow, did I write this post? This must be a common effect because it's literally my life right now, delivery in April.

ACH | February 14, 2017

As per the Google tracking sheet, it looks like they are making a batch of the 100s. Every car that went into production recently is either a 100D or P100DL.

avesraggiana | February 14, 2017

I just put in my order for a Model S 75D last week. I clip past the Point Of No Return on Thursday, when any changes I make will cost me.

Can anybody guess when my car will be ready? I’ve heard about the factory shut down, but never heard about this Google tracking sheet.

ckcland2 | February 14, 2017

Looking at the google sheet it appears as though this quarter is running between 35-70 days from confirmed to delivery. It would be reasonable to assume about 45-65 days. The sheet is here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XZiDkogRyBqHMEnlWJT4HA8BKxYjR5J-...

@ckcland2 Thank you so much. Just opened up the link. Will need to take a closer look after breakfast since I don’t have the first idea about how to read it.

Your material point is the estimated delivery times that you’ve offered. Thanks again. Sometimes just knowing ABOUT when helps - but not much. Still agonising.

ACH | February 14, 2017

Based on the spreadsheet, the average time from confirmation to delivery for all cars delivered in the US (for which data is available) in Q1 2017 is about 51 days.

malken00 | February 14, 2017

Ordered in Nov, delivery in late March. :(

sunnyvale45 | February 14, 2017

my due date is early march. Quick question, do you any of you know if delivery is on a weekday? or can be on a weekend, we want make this the whole family event
thanks!

cmacd200 | February 14, 2017

Order confirmed Jan 6. Our MS is in transit! Expected delivery Feb 22 to March 1. We live in NH so will be a home delivery. Wife and I are so excited, I need some sleep:)

@ACH So that would put my delivery date April 1st. April Fool’s Day! Yay for me!

Thanks for your informed and informative comment.

dowscanner | February 14, 2017

Tesla wanted to rush my car through production in late December. They sent me an email at 6pm that it went into production and one at 2am that it was complete. Trouble was I ordered a 2017 not 2016 manufacture date.

Receintly they sent a notice that it want into production and 5 days later I am still waiting.

ACH | February 14, 2017

@downscanner did you order a 100D?
@Dan that really sux and the sad part is there's really nothing you can do about it.

Run4Waffles | February 15, 2017

Congratulations and welcome all of you.

The wait and anticipation is part of the whole wonderful experience. It's like being a kid waiting for Christmas.

Grin

Nexxus | February 15, 2017

@Bigd0g,

It only takes 17 hours for production, from welding to finish. The pre-production days are for body stamping parts and battery assembly coordination after your confirmation date. So to go from entering production on one day to your car is being shipped the next isn't surprising.

steven | February 15, 2017

@dan: are you in Europe? That's common then. My P85D was ordered mid October and had delivery end of March (first batch of the P85Ds that came to EU). Now ordered P100D mid-November and delivery in first week of March.

malken00 | February 15, 2017

@steven To Tesla's credit I asked my car be held, so I could get a 2017 manufacture date, but still wanted to get in, in November before the $2k price increase.. best of both worlds. They've actually raised the prices on several options I ordered as well, so saving the several thousand dollars was worth it. It feels like it is taking forever though! Ha. Worth the wait, I just keep clicking refresh on MyTesla to see if anything changed once a day. :)

BruceR61 | February 15, 2017

I'm in the same club as ACH. Ordered on January 15, confirmed on January 22, yet I have no vin Number assigned. A MS 75 for me. According to the spreadsheet I'm one of the only non-all wheel drive cars order and that might explain why no Vin number. My DS says all is good and I'm looking at mid to late March. I just wish it said this on my Tesla page instead of the generic in production note.

Boonedocks | February 15, 2017

Ordered 100D on 2-8 and confirmed 2-15. Email for confirmed followed by an email saying I had a VIN in less than 90 minutes.

mm | February 15, 2017

I ordered a 75D on January 14th. I got a vin a week later. Upgraded my order to 100D (losing SC for life :( oh well) over a week ago yet my "my tesla" page still shows I have a 75D on order. My DS says all is good to but can't give me an updated delivery time. The wait is horrible but the not knowing is the worst!!

Mchenry7 | February 15, 2017

I ordered mine on Dec 2, 2016. Still hasn't arrived. Confirmation said January - Early February. Last time I checked Feb 15 was Mid-February. The excitement of the wait has long past. Now it is just frustrating to receive zero news or feedback other than, it's in production (entered production on Jan 29th), you will receive an e-mail when it is complete, then you can set a delivery date.

I was told Northern California deliveries are fast because I live near the factory ad can pick it up there. Apparently not. It's too bad that consistent delays and poor communication can take so much away from the excitement of finally placing the order.

Pages