Forums

Things you get used to...

Things you get used to...

I had to rent an ICE vehicle yesterday to make the agonizing 6.5 hr, 180-mile rush hour(s) round trip from Sacramento to SF and back (company policy to rent at >150 mls in a day). This corridor at the wrong hours is a notorious fuster-cluck, with scarce free-acceleration opportunities. After having driven my X90D for a month, the differences between ICE and X were stark and painful.

- The X, with its TACC is the champion of comfort. In the relatively lower-end ICE car, having to have the foot and right leg in the relatively the same position, doing the minor repetitive task of alternating brake and gas for 6+ hours is notably painful if you're north of 50. Mostly the hip flexor suffers; but also the back of the right heel. Lower back and neck follow, in chain-reaction. Auto-steer, which would have been mostly available on the trip, was really missed;
- Noise. I now can't help but notice the sound and feel of the ICE engine and its audible, spongy strain from each stop to higher gears as it spins into its comfortable ratios. At every new start, I had the sense that the car is just too heavy for its available power. Cabin noise in the X is basically road/tire noise and relative wind. Not bad at all; even pleasant with the radio off.
- Pick up. You really get used to the on-demand power/acceleration at any speed. ICE car's bleating response, "Really? Right now?". Even in my wife's newer MBZ SUV, the hesitation between punching it and actual reaction now seems like an eternity. A noisy, strained eternity;
- Ride. I've got the 20" wheels on my X. IMHO, the general ride and suspension are really as good as any car I've owned over 3 decades and compares to luxury German cars I've had along the way.
- Entertainment. It's not fair to compare the rental to my car. But, for what it's worth, I've grown quite used to the myriad features at my fingertips (and voice control) and really missed these features for half my woken hours yesterday;
- Fuel. Searching for a gas station near my dropoff was no more/less painful than searching for an SC. Obviously, the fill-up time was only a few minutes (compared to the 5-sec plug and walk away, each night at home for 99.9% of my regular driving days).
- Lastly, it's funny to now expect the dang door to open for me as I approach - and be irritated when it doesn't! Even having to fumble - briefcase and phone in hands - for the key fob and exert a button-push to unlock is now a minor insult.

darlin | March 3, 2017

Once you go EV, there is nothing else to see.

cica3838 | March 3, 2017

And it's like having your own "gas station" in your garage. What's better than that?!

MyXinTx | March 4, 2017

Well I had a different experience during a recent ICE rental.

While in N.C., I rented a Lincoln MKZ, since they were out of premium SUVs.

While there is no comparison in the auto-door present, huge display for Nav, powerful acceleration and the annoyance of the transmission shifting, I was remarkably impressed with the smoothness and the quiet of the ride on the highway above 65 MPH.

Between the soundproofing and the lack of the huge windshield, the highway ride of the suspension was much smoother than my Model X, and the lack of road and wind noise was a sobering reminder of the sacrifices made to own a Model X.

I even purchased Michelins after 2 months to replace the factory-supplied Continentals (with the foam liners, so "free" Conti-Silents), but this turned out to be no significant improvement. So essentially I just purchased my next set of wheels a few years in advance.

Still, I would keep my Model X and find contentment in the other features I have come to enjoy and cherish.

RealToast | March 5, 2017

@MyXinTx, good points. I should have made mention that I'm required to rent economy, standard, or intermediate cars. So, the best I can get into is, say, a Hyundai Elantra. Nonetheless, I prefer the ride, performance, and features to my wife's GLS 450 - a compliment to Tesla, not an insult to Mercedes.