Forums

How noisy will it be?

How noisy will it be?

Just drove the X 2 days ago and to my surprise I was disappointed. It drove fine, but the road noise was far louder than on my Opel Ampera (Chevy Volt). I think it's because the huge glass and now I'm wondering, can the Model 3 be quiet with having a lot more glass?
To me the biggest reason to buy an expensive car is the comfort and luxury, and a big part of those is a quiet ride. If the Model 3 is not quiet, I have no reason to buy. I can get loud cars fo far cheaper.

KP in NPT | March 5, 2017

How could we know how loud it will be since it doesn't exist yet.

minervo.florida | March 6, 2017

WHO ever called the model 3 a luxury car, please show me the link.

I do not believe you that the Opel is quieter unless maybe the X had the 21 inch performance tires. Those tires would be louder.

dsvick | March 6, 2017

It's an electric car so there will always be things that the engine in an ICE will cover up that you'll hear more of in a BEV. If the noise level of the car is your sole criteria then maybe you want something else.

On the other hand, like KP said, no one really knows since it doesn't exist yet.

andy.connor.e | March 6, 2017

All ambient noise will be much louder now that there is no ICE engine. Thats something that we like to call 'different'

lilbean | March 6, 2017

It's actually not expensive with the base price at $35K.

Might i suggest a bike or scooter? I hear they are quiet.

kkallioj | March 6, 2017

There's no engine noise in the Opel either, so nothing new there. The difference was clear even at low speed.
At highway speed ICE noise isn't a major factor , so EV's don't have an advantage there, like at low speeds.
Unfortunately the X was no match in that area for a Range Rover or Mercedes E-class. I believe it was because the noise coming through the windshield. If that's the case, then it doesn't look too good for the 3.
I'm all for Tesla's mission and would like the 3 to be the best car I've ever had, but if it's no match even to cheap cars in road noise levels, then I'm seriously considering cancelling my reservation.

How many of you have this same principal of "it better be exactly what i want" to the other car companies?

Red Sage ca us | March 6, 2017

OP: The decibel level within a Tesla is no higher than that within a Lexus. But you hear different things inside an electric car. Once you have become conditioned to perceive certain sounds as 'good' others become 'bad'. There is sound in the world. Just because you may ignore some of it, doesn't mean it wasn't there all along. Yes, even in your Opel.

kkallioj | March 6, 2017

I wouldn't buy any other make either if it was noisy. It's not like I'm demanding something extaordinary, just that the car is on par with the competition. As in value for money. I hope Tesla will deliver.

Opel drives on electricity, so I'm plenty used of not hearing the ICE.

RP3 | March 6, 2017

@RedSage: OP said they were comparing it to a Chevy Volt. Does the Volt always have ICE noise? I was assuming the Volt was all electric until some point when it needed to recharge the battery...

KP in NPT | March 6, 2017

I just rode in a friends brand new Lexus yesterday. I was shocked at how loud the wind noise was in her car, compared to my 10 year old Lexus and certainly compared to our model S.

Badbot | March 6, 2017

get in your current car.
drive at 75 mph.
put it in neutral.
turn ice off.

is it now quieter than the tesla x was ?

PaceyWhitter | March 6, 2017

I assume you are joking, but someone's going to take you seriously and get hurt. Do not do this!

bj | March 6, 2017

In my Leaf what I notice is how noisy all the cars around me are.

Carl Thompson | March 6, 2017

Badbot:

"get in your current car.
drive at 75 mph.
put it in neutral.
turn ice off."

As he said multiple times he drives an Ampera. It runs completely on electricity until the battery is drained so he does not need to turn off the ICE because it wasn't on in the first place.

Carl

tstolz | March 7, 2017

Use a DB meter ... you can download an app. MS is similar to other cars at speed and much quieter around town ... wind and tires make the most noise at speed. The biggest difference in driving enjoyment re EVs, apart from the instant torque thing, is no vibration from the engine! You arrive at your destination relaxed.

matt80206 | March 7, 2017

This person sounds like Eagle under a different screen name LOL... Opel/GM? I would think any M3 owner would rate road noise pretty low on the list of must haves compared to having a lot of tech features.

Carl Thompson | March 7, 2017

@matt80206

I'd rate low road noise pretty high on my list of features.

Carl

pavel | March 7, 2017

It's possible you drove a very early stage Model X, where insulation was not quite perfected and this does resulted in higher noise levels on highways. This has since been corrected and I can assure you there is no place for comparison between the noise levels generated in a ICE car and the sexy hum of the electric motor of a Tesla!

akgolf | March 7, 2017

I just test drove a Model S and it was impressively quite. My wife was very impressed.

dd.micsol | March 7, 2017

completely depends on your tires! It's that simple.

3dwin | March 7, 2017

What type of tires would make a quiet ride? @dd.micsol

andy.connor.e | March 10, 2017

My guess is that the sound level will be noisy enough to hear the annoying annoyance of the noise.

janendan | March 10, 2017

New tires can cause greater sonic vibrations and reduced range. Fifty yrs ago we always sprayed a thick sound coating in the wheel wells before delivery. MS check ride was quiet, right KK? I think M3 will be as well.

After that, your Tesla Aeropod(2025) will be quiet up to about 200kts. 250kts with multi-pane. Limit below 10000'.