Forums

Ben Carson refers to slaves as immigrants

Ben Carson refers to slaves as immigrants

This administration gets more embarrassing by the moment.

Brain surgery can't be that hard if this idiot is a brain surgeon.

--------------------------------------------------------

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson referred to slaves as "immigrants" while speaking Monday to department employees.

"That's what America is about, a land of dreams and opportunity," Carson said. "There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less."

there is a video at the original link
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ben-carson-refers-to-slaves-as-im...

KP in NPT | March 6, 2017

They might dismantling his exhibit at the museum of African American history as we speak. ;-)

Silver2K | March 6, 2017

they might have dismantled it before he was done.

RedShift | March 6, 2017

Soft spoken psychopath.

Bighorn | March 6, 2017

Careful or he'll shiv you.

bigd | March 6, 2017

im·mi·grant
ˈiməɡrənt/
noun
plural noun: immigrants
a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

Of course bigd is the one to defend that language.

bigd | March 6, 2017

KP in NPT "A senior HUD official who spoke on condition of anonymity said no one in the room interpreted Carson’s comments as anything but a “heartfelt introduction to the HUD family.”
“He was making a point about people who came to this country for a better life for their kids,” the official said. “Nobody in that room put two and two together and came to five. Only the most cynical interpretation would conflate voluntary immigration to this country with involuntary servitude.” https://www.washingtonpost DOT com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/06/carson-compares-slaves-to-immigrants-coming-to-a-land-of-dreams-and-opportunity/?utm_term=.89925d99b397

Guess we know who the "Only the most cynical" are. sigh

Captain_Zap | March 6, 2017

@bigd

They didn't come here to live. They were brought here to be owned as property.

SCCRENDO | March 6, 2017

Ben Carson may have been a good brain surgeon but I reckon he should not have done a frontal lobotomy on himself. This guy could have been president!!! LOL.
@bighorn. Not sure if you are proud to belong to the same profession as him. I am certainly ashamed.

Bighorn | March 6, 2017

@SCCR
We were at Hopkins at the same time and he's not someone I particularly cared for. Not sure that he was above average in any way other than his celebrity. I had read his autobiography and realized long ago that he wasn't completely rational.

SCCRENDO | March 6, 2017

@bighorn. Thanks for the insight.

bigd | March 6, 2017

Captain- Rather than make up the meaning or put words into his mouth here is what was said“ That's what America is about. A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less, But they, too, had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great-grandsons, great-granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.” For those struggling to understand, even though they came here under horrible conditions they still dreamed of a better life for their kids, grandkids, etc. .

He did not say "They wanted to come here to live". Notice He said "they came here in the bottom of slave boats" I do believe that 97% of to the people understand that they were brought here to be owned as property.

Captain_Zap | March 6, 2017

@bigd

You were the one that used that definition above.

Slaves were not immigrants. Period. They did not come to America dreaming of a better life. Good god.

bigd | March 6, 2017

Captain Sorry, it does not say forced or voluntary. They did come here to live. Even though it was forced.

bigd | March 6, 2017

KP "They did not come to America dreaming of a better life." No one said they did. After they were here they dreamed of a better life. Good god what has happened to reading comprehension.

Dr. Carson clarified his comments later on Facebook.

"The immigrants made the choice to come to America. They saw this country as a land of opportunity. In contrast, slaves were forced here against their will and lost all their opportunities. We continue to live with that legacy."

I'm sure that's what you meant, bigd.

SCCRENDO | March 6, 2017

@BigD. They were not thinking about the future of their descendants. They were stolen from their countries, thrown into the hold of ships under unhygienic conditions. They hardly got food. Many died. Others got ill and were sold off as slaves. Seriously. If you defend this you are a bigger idiot than Carson
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/slaveship.htm

bigd | March 6, 2017

KP Some, as you notice a few post up I said they were forced.

SCCRENDO | March 6, 2017

Compassion is not a strong point of the new regime
Kelly: DHS is considering separating undocumented children from their parents at the border
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/06/politics/john-kelly-separating-children-fr...
Kelly: Separating families under consideration
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/03/06/trump-travel-ban-separate-...

@bigd - "KP "They did not come to America dreaming of a better life." No one said they did. "

Yeah, Dr. Carson said they did - I just summarized his words that you quoted and defended above.

"That's what America is about. A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less, But they, too, had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great-grandsons, great-granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.”

bigd | March 6, 2017

allcapsguy, you calling someone an idiot is hilarious as you can not even read.

PS "They were stolen from their countries" if you even understood what you are talking about you would know that 97% were enslaved by their own countrymen and sold to those who owned the "ships". I'm sure your history book did not have that part in it.

More defending. Who cares who stole them? In the end they were sold to white men to be slaves. It doesn't really matter why. The point is our country's love of slavery allowed it to happen in the first place.

You know, if you don't want to come off as defending his words, bigd, you could just agree that what he said was wrong. But instead you make excuses for him, while saying "but yeah, they *were* forced."

bigd | March 6, 2017

KP Gosh how can a logical person get that. "worked even longer, even harder for less," That means they are already here. I am pretty sure they were dreaming of a better life at this point.

Okiedokie, bigd. Guess I"m just not "logical"

bigd | March 6, 2017

KP Show me where I "defended him" I am pointing out that the media is making something out of this that just isn't there. Could he have said it better, sure, in this day and age where people misconstrue the staffs every word they need to be more elegant in their speeches.

bigd | March 6, 2017

KP No, that is what is frustrating. You and so many on here are highly intelligent and logical unless it comes to Trump and his staff. He is not my Favorite but he is the President. But some look for anything they can twist and turn to make it seem like they are BAD people. Most seem to be good people and will do a good job. If there was they same standards the last 8 years it would not be as bad but that is not the case.

Yeah see that's the problem. I watched the video. I saw him speak the words. And I gasped when he said them.

So I guess this is more of the media of reporting what people actually say and some people taking them for what they are, and others who are willing to dismiss them. It isn't inelegance. One would think that he, as an African American would have a different perspective. But for whatever reason, he did not. I'm not going to speculate as to why. But I can assure you he got plenty of pushback from his community over his inelegant words.

What he said was wrong. Even he realized it, and issued a statement on Facebook after. So lets not blame the media. Lets blame him, and accept his walk-back. But lets not deny there was an issue to begin with.

bigd | March 6, 2017

they=the

Bighorn | March 6, 2017

He said he was not qualified for the job--he's just providing incontrovertible proof.

SCCRENDO | March 6, 2017

@bighorn. Glad he didn't get surgeon general, education, EPA, homeland security, Secretary of State. Guess there are many other things he is not qualified for.

J.T. | March 7, 2017

It is amazing how much smarter and more qualified Ben Carson would appear would be if he had been a Democrat. :-)

Silver2K | March 7, 2017

we will always have a divided country when you make statements like that, even in jest.

J.T. | March 7, 2017

@Silver That sentence makes no sense.

carlk | March 7, 2017

J.T.
"It is amazing how much smarter and more qualified Ben Carson would appear would be if he had been a Democrat. :-)"

Just like we wish Trump is not Trump when he says I love black people.

Bighorn | March 7, 2017

@JT
Did you listen to what he's actually said? All his crazy bible talk despite having studied the sciences. Google pyramids and BC--I forget, but I suspect he also believes we once ride dinosaurs. There are plenty of people I respect on both sides of the aisle, but he's not one despite the white coat.

SCCRENDO | March 7, 2017

@JT. You got it the wrong way round. If he were smarter he would be a Democrat. LOL.

J.T. | March 7, 2017

@Bh I am not endorsing or supporting anything Ben Carson says. I never have.

I am poking fun at the "piling on" nature when either side smells blood in the water. You cannot believe for a second that if someone on the liberal side said the exact same thing, the libs would be, maybe not defending the words, but explaining it as poorly worded.

>>>>There are plenty of people I respect on both sides of the aisle,

Every day that goes by there are fewer and fewer on either side whom I respect.

J.T. | March 7, 2017

@SCCRENDO Good one!!

Bighorn | March 7, 2017

@JT
Totally agree--I should have appended that with "over the years."

Dramsey | March 7, 2017

Referring to slaves as immigrants? What a maroon!

But remember, it's OK when Obama refers to slaves as immigrants. As he has done, many times:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/07/11-times-barack-obama-compared-slave...

Silver2K | March 7, 2017

Obama said, they did not come here voluntarily. that would be key

J.T. | March 7, 2017

And you're saying that Ben Carson did?

J.T. | March 7, 2017

@Bh See? If a Democrat said it there are all kinds of equivocations.

Silver2K | March 7, 2017

Correction: I'm not a democrat, I am an independent.

Ben Carson didn't say "they didn't come here voluntarily"

And Ben Carson also didn't say "And they were able to "muster faith" that, here in America", but Obama did.
Which means they had no faith in America as slaves.

Is the Bush family democrat too now, because they don't like trump?

J.T. | March 7, 2017

@Silver No correction necessary. I didn't say you were a democrat, I said Obama is.

Silver2K | March 7, 2017

oh.
I thought you meant I was trying to give different meaning to what Obama said.

bigd | March 7, 2017

Silver, "And Ben Carson also didn't say "And they were able to "muster faith" that, here in America", but Obama did." However, from the 2nd quote from Dramsey he does not say anything close to that. "We say it so often, we sometimes forget what it means — we are a nation of immigrants. Unless you are one of the first Americans, a Native American, we are all descended from folks who came from someplace else — whether they arrived on the Mayflower or on a slave ship, whether they came through Ellis Island or crossed the Rio Grande." President Obama

Silver2K | March 7, 2017

bigd

Carson's speech sounds like they were coming here on their own on the slave ships looking for the American dream. in Obama's speech he just refers to them as slaves on a ship, not dream seekers. Obama in 2015 (before Carson's speech) expanded on it and made clear it was not their choice to come here.

Pages