Forums

SCOTUS

SCOTUS

Lately, Trump has been longing for those halcyon days when the parties worked together to move the country forward. He's been saying lately that if the Democrats would stop being obstructionists things would get done. It's laughable considering recent history.

However, if he's serious, and he wants to show the Dems that he can be reasonable perhaps he should nominate Merrick Garland should Kennedy retire this summer.

I can dream, can't I?

DTsea | June 25, 2017

Not gonna happen.

rxlawdude | June 25, 2017

JT, agree. Garland would be a logical and unifying choice. Exactly why the Orange-a-tan will not nominate him.

222 | June 25, 2017

DTs policy plan is to destroy every institution he touches.
He's following an extreme version of Grover Norquist's "drown government in a bathtub" policy.

Hence the EPA head that has a history of suing the EPA and wants it dead, AG that reverses race related police reforms, a sec of education that tries to kill public schools, a sec of state that received the highest awards from Russia and is an Oil magnate, etc

It wouldnt be a surprise if his SCOTUS nominees end up being someone horrific that the GOP senate confirms.
(Please dont retire Justice Kennedy!)

Dont ever expect normal or rational from this racist, bigoted, science denying, sexual assaulter.

RanjitC | June 25, 2017

You losers LOST. Stop whining. Even the stupid Republicans who are the other side of the same coin need to stop their whining and get with the program. The public want commonsense applied to our problems. The lawyers who have been running our Country into the ground with the help of the MSM need to be stopped. The EPA is out of control (56 MPG CAFE standard? By the way I bought a Tesla in 2012 and went solar in 2010). The public schools are terrible. President Obama and I sent our kids to private schools. The teachers association is only interested in lining their own pockets by buying the Democrat party.. I don't think we should be party to the Paris accord where other countries want us to decrease our carbon emissions while they increase their own while asking us to give them billions of dollars! Your sound bites lack any reasoning.

grins.va | June 25, 2017

@RanjitC - so you support Garland for the Supreme Court?

RanjitC | June 25, 2017

Ha Ha +1 grins

222 | June 25, 2017

It's not whining RanjitC
Tell me something that I said that was untrue.

Frank99 | June 25, 2017

Isn't it great that our country affords those in opposition to the government the right to freely speak about their opposition? As opposed to those countries where the opposition is told to stop whining?

I'm sorry, I have no desire to have the government of my country "drowned in the bathtub" as 222 noted. If you have specific complaints about the government, feel free to articulately describe them with a proposed solution. Please don't tell me that I need to stop whining about the indiscriminate destruction that's currently going on, the destruction that mostly seems to be aimed at anything the black man did and less about any articulable philosophy of government.

222 | June 25, 2017

@Frank99
+1
thanks for saying something that most people are afraid to say out loud -->

"...the destruction that mostly seems to be aimed at anything the black man did and less about any articulable philosophy of government."

It might annoy some people to say that, but hey, if the shoe fits......

RanjitC | June 25, 2017

@222 I never implied anything you said was untrue. I just gave you my view of the situation.
@Frank 99 asking you to stop whining is not asking you to shut up. There is a difference and I have the same freedom of speech that you have.
If you have any constructive argument against the points I have made let us discuss them.

222 | June 25, 2017

@Ranjit-ji
"The EPA is out of control "

I'm gonna try to back off this thread 'cause I sometimes get too involved but I will leave with this point...
If the US doesnt rapidly catch up to the rest of the world in terms of green technology and higher emission standards, then it will get left behind in terms of green jobs, manufacturing and technology, and even pollution related deaths/illnesses.

I really am pleasantly surprised to see Modi go for all clean cars by 2030 in India. That's the kind of policy decisions that could make huge investments in that economy.

Fossil fuel vehicles are a dying breed and we're stuck with an administration here that wants to feed on that carcass up to the point of getting us ill off it.

Frank99 | June 25, 2017

RanjitC -
Are you saying that the EPA is out of control in everything they do? Having grown up in the LA Basin in the '70s, and seeing it today, I'd say they were doing a great job on air pollution. Having read the stories about dead rivers, and flaming rivers, while growing up I'd say they're doing a good job on improving water pollution.

Do you have a specific concern, like 50 MPG cafe standards? Then let's talk about it. How many American lives have been lost fighting wars in the Middle East since Gulf War 1? How many Human lives have been lost in those same wars? Do you wish to argue that those wars were primarily about assuring oil flow to the US, much of which went to transportation needs? Do you believe that all those lives are worth less than a 50 mpg CAFE standard?

We can probably agree about the public schools - I'm not familiar with any work the DOEdu is doing that is improving the state of public schools.

We'll certainly disagree about the Paris accords. Do you have any idea what the US actually signed up for? How about (quoting Wikipedia): "In the Paris Agreement, each country determines, plans and regularly reports its own contribution it should make in order to mitigate global warming." So every complaint you have about the Paris agreement is what the Government of the United States came up with, and committed to doing.

And, we'll probably disagree about what "the public" wants. President Trump is the legally elected President of the United States of America. He was elected by a minority of the voting public, which was itself is barely a majority of the eligible electorate. It's difficult to take from this that he speaks for "the public".

RanjitC | June 25, 2017

Everyone starts with a good idea like improving the air in the LA basin where I live . However they then take it too far. Watch Steven pinker on youtube very sensible man.

Frank99 | June 25, 2017

So precisely what EPA policies need changing? What policy changes will be "not too far", but won't leave the LA basin gasping for air like Shanghai (where I was last month) or Beijing? What policy changes will be "not too far", but won't let Coal mines power plants dump lead, arsenic, and mercury into public waterways? What policy changes will be "not too far", but won't let them continue to externalize all unpleasant costs (like dead people)?

The EPA is authorized by acts of Congress. The purview of the EPA is likewise constrained by those very acts of Congress. If Congress doesn't like the way the EPA interprets the acts, they are free to update them.

You've asked for constructive discussions, but so far your contribution is a link to some fanatic on youtube. That's not precisely constructive in my book.

Frank99 | June 25, 2017

"Coal mines AND power plants"

Captain_Zap | June 25, 2017

Never forget Love Canal.

finman100 | June 27, 2017

FYD2017. this impeachment thing is WAY too slow. The US HAS to get on with it's business without donald. Let's start there.

Remnant | June 27, 2017

@finman100 (June 27, 2017)

<< FYD2017. this impeachment thing is WAY too slow. The US HAS to get on with it's business without donald. >>

It seems you may be basing your impeachment wishes on fake news of the kind just debunked by the White House, with respect to the CNN retraction of last Friday.

As widely publicized, CNN retracted the story authored by Thomas Frank, on account of "questionable sourcing", then accepted his resignation along with that of his editors, Eric Lichtblau and Lex Haris, apparently due to concerns that the article could be regarded as "fake news", then apologized to Anthony Scaramucci for the unfounded article.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-cnn-resignation-20170...

RedShift | June 27, 2017

@ranjit

"However they then take it too far."

Pray tell dear Ranjit what is 'too far'. It's not like our air and water are TOO clean are they?

SUN 2 DRV | June 27, 2017

Remnant: Thanks for the link. It's good to see CNN maintaining their high standards, I praise them for that.

BTW They didn't say the article was "unfounded" nor incorrect. They simply said it wasn't solid enough to have been published on the web (and was never showed on TV)

I might consider what YOU wrote to be "Fake news"...

Captain_Zap | June 28, 2017
Dramsey | June 28, 2017

"BTW They didn't say the article was "unfounded" nor incorrect. They simply said it wasn't solid enough to have been published on the web (and was never showed on TV)"

Also apparently not solid enough for three reporters-- one a Pulitzer Prize winner-- to keep their jobs.

SamO | June 28, 2017

Wah . . . really? Trump has lied 100 times in the last week, and you are worried about insufficient sourcing on a single piece which still may turn out to be true?

Run. Don't walk. Run away from this toxic shitbag as fast as you can.

That is all.

SUN 2 DRV | June 28, 2017

CZ: WOW! Excellent discovery, thanks for the link.

PhillyGal | June 28, 2017

@JT - Yes!
I think that could be a very good way to show goodwill and cooperation. Cooperation these days seems more common in the elementary school playground than in DC, unfortunately.

And if I'm not mistaken, some R members of congress even agreed last year that Garland would have been someone they would have been happy to confirm had he not been nominated by a President in his 8th year.

finman100 | June 28, 2017

nope, based on facts. impeachment needs to happen. somehow.

FYD2017

Nexxus | June 29, 2017

These magazine covers are available at some amusement parks for about $20. I had one made on the cover of "Runner" mag. My portrait and headline: "Amateur Sets New Marathon World Record" and other tidbits. But I'd never have made copies to put up in public at all my properties. LOL.

Captain_Zap | June 29, 2017

@Nexxus

I'm on the cover of Rolling Stone.

SUN 2 DRV | June 29, 2017

And he includes that fake Time cover in his count of how many times he was on the Time cover before getting into politics. He claims twice, truth is once. A simple distinction he should be able to keep track of...

... unless his staff created that fake Time cover and told him it was real, and he believed it and no one ever corrected him, until now.... either way he's a fake and an embarrassing buffoon...