Forums

42% of New Car Sales were EV*

42% of New Car Sales were EV*

*In Norway

Last month was another record month for the country with electric cars representing 42% of its new vehicles being registered.

That’s a significant jump from their last record in January when they reached 37% of new car sales.

The country’s EV incentives, like the 25% VAT tax exemption, are helping maintain the rate of adoption about 10 times higher than most markets.

In June, all-electric vehicles also reached a record 27% of new car sales with plug-in hybrids making up the difference.

The record was helped by a big boost in Tesla Model X deliveries which had a record month in Norway with 609 registrations in June – enough to make it the second most popular vehicle in the country. The Model X contributed only 238 units to the last record.

https://electrek.co/2017/07/04/electric-car-norway-tesla-model-x/

Tesla-David | July 4, 2017

Thanks @SamO, Norway is very impressive in not only EVs but renewable energy adoption. "In Norway, 98 percent of the electricity production come from renewable energy sources. Hydropower is the source of most of the production.May 11, 2016"

ObieX | July 4, 2017

I was in Norway last month and saw plenty of Teslas.

Tropopause | July 4, 2017

Soon the headlines will read similarly about one of the largest, wealthiest, most powerful countries in the world... China.

SamO | July 4, 2017

Soon the headlines will read similarly about one of the largest, wealthiest, most powerful countries in the world... California. :-)

David N | July 5, 2017

Any info on what sales of ICE have been over last 5 years?
Same, increase, slight decrease, major decrease?
I would think that what ever happened in Norway will eventually happen here in U.S.

Silver2K | July 5, 2017

Norway fuel prices are sky high and electricity is dirt cheap. Tesla made them realize they can dump gas with electric cars that travel more than 85 miles without recharging.

on the flip side, gas prices are very cheap in the USA and adoption will be slower than Norway(hopefully I'm wrong). The other reason is our economy depends on oil.

SO | July 6, 2017

The US will NOT be leading the world on many fronts anytime soon.

TeslaTap.com | July 6, 2017

Perhaps in 2020 with a new strategy - Make America Smart Again. We can always hope!