Forums

Shell is deploying charging stations at their gas stations

Shell is deploying charging stations at their gas stations

I always thought it would be smart for gas stations to offer charging stations too. Drivers are already conditioned to think of gas stations as places to go to refuel so it makes to take advantage of that. Plus, it will add an extra stream of revenue.

Well, looks like Shell is doing just that by starting to offer charging stations at their locations:
https://electrek.co/2017/09/27/shell-new-electric-car-charging-gas-stati...

Captain_Zap | September 28, 2017

Now my question is whether the pricing will be fair and reasonable.

hoffmannjames | September 28, 2017

The article states that it will cost $0.34/kWh, a bit more than Tesla superchargers.

carlk | September 28, 2017

I will not go charge there until they removed gas islands there.

TabascoGuy | September 28, 2017

Shouldn't the price at

TabascoGuy | September 28, 2017

Shouldn't the price at a Shell station station be $0.349/kWh?

@carlk yeah, you bring up a good point. I had not thought of that. It kinda ruins the charging experience if you have loud, smelly gas cars refueling right next to you. The whole point of getting an EV is to get as far away from an ICE car as possible.

rxlawdude | September 28, 2017

"$0.34/kWh, a bit more than Tesla superchargers."

That's equivalent to about $3.75/gallon gasoline.

RedPillSucks | September 28, 2017

@hoffmannjames The charging stations will probably be in a separate section from the gas stations instead of being interwoven. I don't think it will be that bad at all. Having charging stations where gas stations are hastens the ubiquity of the charging stations and gas station owners can feel less threatened by EVs to the point where they can seamlessly phase out gas stations as EVs become more popular

@Red I hope they do separate the EV charging from the gas area. I do agree that long term, I hope gas stations transition to becoming EV charging stations.

Seriously, why would anyone want to recharge at a place dedicated to ICE-generated pollution, fracking, and other environmental atrocities, ESPECIALLY when they are apparently pricing the EV charging at a significantly MORE EXPENSIVE price than their mainstay product?

PrimeTime | September 28, 2017

rxlaw: I would do it in a pinch.

@PrimeTime, sure, desperate times call for desperate measures, but it would be the absolute last place I'd consider, and there are a lot of places! :-)

Earl and Nagin ... | September 28, 2017

some people really like to look gift horses in the mouth.
- give them credit when they do good things
- At $0.49/kWhr, I"m sure Shell won't make any money so it will be subsidized by the sugar for sale at the mini-mart.
Now: Whether it is worth stopping to charge at 50 kW vs going to a Tesla Supercharger is a much more reasonable question. I don't see any reason to go out of ones way for this but, more is definitely better.

$4.00/gal. gas equivalent is hardly a gift.:-)

And these won't be Tesla compatible DCFC chargers.

@rx,
CHAdeMO is Tesla compatible.
I've been places where $4/gal is a welcome sight (ever bought gas at Catalina Island or in the middle of Iceland?). I've also paid $35 to get about 30 kWh at an RV park when there was nothing else around. Considering that I pay nearly nothing most of the time for my solar generated electricity, it really isn't particularly expensive for those occasional necessary times. I'll appreciate their offering it to me. It is, of course, up to them to make it worth my effort. If there's a free Supercharger a mile away, they're wasting their time but, if this is some remote small town that Tesla hasn't reached yet, it sounds quite good.

I just looked at the Tesla Supercharger map and it seems there is no Supercharger near Warlingham, UK. This means that the Shell station with a fast charger, even at $4/kWh, would be a welcome relief to avoid having to drive into London for a charge if you're visiting folks in the area.

rxlawdude | September 29, 2017

@E&N, well, $4/gallon in UK is a bargain. In the US, not so much. :0)

Earl and Nagin ... | September 29, 2017

@rx,
It would be if the nearest other gas station was an hour and a half drive away (the nearest Supercharger) in downtown London.
You've spent too much time in CA.
Remember, you aren't paying for the electricity, you're paying for access to a (relatively) quick source of it. They could charge you $40 for the charge and $0.10/kWh for the electricity or they could just charge you a loaded cost for electricity. Either way, I doubt it will be profitable any time soon.
Whether you're happy about it or not, it isn't a bad deal. Of course, for Shell, they shouldn't count on this price forever since, as soon as someone else builds a DCFC nearby, suddenly, the price may not look so good and they might never recoup their investment.

SamO | September 29, 2017

Tesla is generating electricity and selling it in Hawaii for $0.139/kWh. This is the most expensive price anyone should have to pay, anywhere in the world.

Shell charging $0.349 or $0.49/kWh is normal business practices . . . but won't cut it with Tesla owners (or anyone who starts to hear about Tesla's break-even Supercharging).

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/8/14854858/tesla-solar-hawaii-kauai-kiuc...

And prices are only coming down. Tesla will be able to pass those savings along to owners OR will be able to offer a wider variety of services with charging.

#GoTesla

@SamO,
You're clearly another spoiled California kid like Rx. Did you see how far away the nearest Supercharger is from that one Shell station mentioned?
I doubt that even you would bother to drive an hour and a half for a free Supercharge.

"Spoiled California kid like Rx"
????

I don't called you spoiled because you have government health care. :-)

Oh, and E&N, make sure you pick up that extra cost, big, unwieldy CHAdeMO adapter, because that's the ONLY way a Tesla is "compatible" with that form of DCFC.

(Ok, maybe too dramatic to say "unwieldy" but have you seen one of those honkers?)

@rxlawdude,
I've seen and used those honkers. They are incredibly ugly and obnoxious. I was absolutely thrilled when Tesla made them available and even more thrilled about their reasonable price. You should see what I paid for my first mobile connector for a Tesla that maxed out at 10 kW. It was the first one ever made and it was a huge improvement over the 120v one that came with my car. It enabled me to drive to Harris Ranch to convince them to put in their first EV charger. I'm sure you've benefitted from the ranchers' conspiracy (Tejon and Harris) that followed from that relationship.
I've also sat around for 5 hours waiting for a Roadster to charge at an RV park when the outside temperature was 115F in the shade and dug a J-1772 charger out of the snow when the temperature was -8F to sit in a Model S for a couple hours to have enough charge to make it to a Supercharger. $0.49/kWh for 50 kW would have been a blessing compared to the $0.49kWh for 6.6 kW.
We didn't get to where this wonderful infrastructure is today overnight or by quibbling about start-up costs. We got it by recognizing the first principle issue of products and infrastructure.
Imagine you're visiting relatives in Warlingham, UK in your Model S and will be driving around the local area during your visit. Would you rather pay Shell $0.49/kWh for a nearby CHAdeMO or drive an hour and a half to central London to a Supercharger? I don't know what you'd do but I'd be very appreciative of the CHAdeMO, pay the $0.49/kwhr (about $30 - $50), and thank the manager for supporting me (I might buy a pack of M&Ms if I didn't find anything I really needed at the mini-mart too). It would save me 3 hours and the misery of having to drive a dumb ICE on my trip.
Spoiled isn't the health care, its that you feel entitled to only pay commodity price for electricity without having to pay for the charging infrastructure. I heartily encourage you to enjoy and make good use of your wonderful infrastructure but, also recognize and appreciate it.
You see, things don't happen because people whine about what they have to pay. They happen because people recognize what is really important -- and do it.

Most places price distribution and infrastructure into their rates.

@rxlawdude,
So why are you grumbling about Shell selling at $0.49/kWh? Do you really think that isn't the price with baked in distribution and infrastructure?
I think it is a bit low and they'll lose money on it if you assume the charger probably costs more than $50K and installation is probably another $50K. At $0.49/kWhr, it will take a lot of use to pay off.

I've driven 7600 miles for a "free charge" so you never know ;-)

@SamO,
Ok, I stand corrected ;-)

E&N, I'll vote with my wallet, and you do the same.

Peace out.