Forums

Best pitch roof

Best pitch roof

What's the best pitch roof for a home in long island new york

sashton | September 29, 2017

There are many online calculators for this. Slotting in your latitude gives an ideal angle from vertical as follows:-
Winter 26; Spring/Fall 49 and Summer 72.
If you are simply going for the best annual yield then a figure somewhere between the Spring and Summer angle would work.
The actual angle is not that critical as the yield generally drops off on a cosine rule and then only really when dealing with direct sunlight. It is even less critical with diffuse light (cloudy / hazy days).

SMcDowell | January 4, 2018

Of course Tesla solar roof)
"Now the concept of an integrated solar glass shingle – the Tesla solar tile – is on everyone’s mind."

Mediumed | November 26, 2019

The optimum tilt angle is calculated by adding 15 degrees to your latitude during winter, and subtracting 15 degrees from your latitude during summer. For instance, if your latitude is 34°, the optimum tilt angle for your solar panels during winter will be 34 + 15 = 49°.

Passion2Fly | November 26, 2019

For a fixed angle, the latitude of your location is recommended. You can vary the pitch from winter to summer but it’s usually not practical.

gregbrew | November 27, 2019

In my location, the marine layer is worse in the Winter, so favoring the Summer sun would make sense. If I had a choice, I'd probably go with my latitude minus 7.5 degrees or so. As it is, I just slapped them on my South-facing roof, and let the existing roof pitch be in play. Meh.

Patrick | November 29, 2019

Local solar integrators in the Southeast US say south-facing roof areas with 8/12 pitch is pretty close to ideal for max generation.