Forums

VW taking lessons from Trump

VW taking lessons from Trump

"If I am correctly informed, Tesla each quarter destroys millions of dollars in the three digits, and it willy-nilly fires its workers. Social responsibility? Please. We should not get carried away and compare apples with oranges."

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/10/volkswagen-ceo-blasts-tesla-for-not...

If "destroys" means building the largest battery factory in the world while building out the largest fast-charging network (not by court order),

If fires "willy-nily" means after annual review it reduces 1-2% of the non-performing employees, and

If "social responsibility" means leading the worldwide transition to sustainable production, storage, and transportation,

then I'm pretty sure Tesla is an "apple" and VW is a lying, cheating, murdering dead-man walking "orange", that hasn't had an original idea in 50 years.

"The diesel emissions scandal is now in its second year, with arrests made in both the US and Germany. And while the fallout resulted in Müller getting his job, it has also cost VW Group tens of billions of dollars in fines, write-offs, and losses."

Go fuck yourself, Matias Mueller.

TeslaTap.com | October 21, 2017

That's really unfair. VW had the original idea to cheat on diesel emissions. Of course we don't know what else they've lied about... yet.

carlk | October 21, 2017

Wow..it's really feeling the heat isn't it? Lol.

rgrant | October 21, 2017

Talk about destroying billions of dollars and becoming known as a cheater and polluter!

Tesla-David | October 21, 2017

@SamO, +100, well said! ;0)

SamO | October 21, 2017

The bad actors haven't been dug out of VW . . . not by a long shot. VW is still 50/50 headed to bankruptcy.

Dramsey | October 21, 2017

Last year, Volkswagen sold 128 cars for every car Tesla sold. Their 2016 profit of $5.4 billion compares nicely to Tesla's 2016 loss of $773 million. In fact VW's sales are up so much that in February of this year, they passed Toyota to become the largest auto manufacturer in the world in both in terms of revenue and vehicles delivered.

Bear in mind that "VW" encompasses Volkswagen, Porsche, Audi, Skoda, Seat, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and Ducati. They are a really, really big company.

So, cheating scumbags they may be, but bankruptcy ain't looking too likely any time in the near future.

SO | October 21, 2017

If Tesla was operating at a loss to just “keep the lights on”, I’d be concerned. But they are heavily reinvesting in themselves and planning for the future. The gross margin on every Model S sold is one of the highest in the industry. Comparing the number of cars sold between a company barely over a decade old vs another almost a century old seems silly.

SamO | October 21, 2017

I love how Dramsey can't figure out the math to make renewables or climate change work, but he's sure that all the wrongdoing by VW has been totally discovered.

Lulz

Al1 | October 21, 2017

It is noteworthy that at a panel discussion on the future of the automotive industry Volkswagen CEO Matthias Müller felt he really needed to speak about Tesla.

Isn't it worrisome that out of 11 million cars and dozen of brands, that Volkswagen sold this year apparently none were suggested as cars of the future by the panel?

We all know how heavily unionized VW factories are. Steering this Titanic into the future must really challenging.

Wait, did I just say Titanic?

SamO | October 21, 2017

Hindenberg, not Titanic.

Al1 | October 21, 2017

If I am correctly informed, Tesla each quarter destroys millions of dollars in the three digits, and it willy-nilly fires its workers.

You are informed incorrectly Mr. Muller. Millions of dollars that Tesla spends brings the company year on year sales growth of about fifty percent. What looks like being destroyed is market share of Porsche and Audi in key US and Chinese markets.

And may we ask about return on billions of VW investment into R&D? So far diesel gate seems to be the only tangible outcome.

Al1 | October 21, 2017

You are right SamO. Hindenberg is a much more relevant comparison. Two technologies competing head on head, of which one has no chance in future.

rgrant | October 21, 2017

Steve Jobs called it skating to where the puck is going to be.

carlk | December 7, 2017

Even end results could be the same. People do go to jail for what they do.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/volkswagen-exec-gets-seven-years-092800305.html

Tropopause | December 7, 2017

Wow!