Forums

California Governor Signs Executive Order to Keep EV Incentives Alive and Well

California Governor Signs Executive Order to Keep EV Incentives Alive and Well

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/01/30/california-wants-5-million-zero-emi...

In brief:

- Goal of 5 million zero-emission vehicles on the road by 2030 (up from 350K today)
- Raise charging stations from 14K to 250K ... fast charge stations from 1.5k to 10K
- Beefing up incentives and rebates
- This is a separate initiative from bill to ban ICE by 2040
- CARB (California Air Resources Board) chief says that means 40% of cars sold by 2030 must be ZEVs

mntlvr23 | January 30, 2018

Niiiiiiiice.

akgolf | January 30, 2018

Thumbs up!

kj5hp | January 30, 2018

Filed my refund with CARB last week... 35 day processing times right now but still good news.

gwolnik | January 30, 2018

California is going to have to find new ways to fund road construction and maintenance because gas tax revenues are going to plummet. A flat registration tax on EVs will be unfair to those of us who don't drive a lot of miles, but I don't like the idea of having a monitor installed that will track how much I drive on California roads. A simple odometer check each year doesn't show how much was driven in the state. A tax on public chargers would be like a gas tax, but many of us have or will install home chargers. If they require home chargers to report usage, they won't be able to force a retrofit on people like me who already installed one. What solution will preserve privacy in the same way that paying cash for gas does now when the gas tax is included and proportional to road use in the area where the gas was purchased?

Coastal Cruiser. | January 30, 2018

And to go further, why is the current revenue not maintaining the infrastructure properly? I move that voters should see a full accounting of every dollar spent that is (or should be) earmarked to go into road repairs, before shelling out another dollar in taxes. There's a leak somewhere. Whether it is fat contracts, overpaying state workers, funds being funneled into other programs, or whatever, let's find out.

By the way, I just incurred $2800 damage to my Prius due to poor road maintenance on a state highway. I am choosing to pursue a remedy with CalTrans rather than file an insurance claim. Wish me luck. I'll need it. ;>

cornellio | January 30, 2018

Sweet!

Jerry Brown is awesome.

amebcia | January 30, 2018

While the article does mention beefing up incentives, I could not find anything in the executive order that would clearly say that.

?

coolnewworld | January 31, 2018

California has heavily taxed gasoline as it is. On 11/1/17 it went up another 12 cents to pay for road repair, etc. If you want a lot more EVs on the road, don't penalize them with comparable taxes. EVs should be taxed much lower or not at all until EVs become commonplace and more the norm.

We already have a $6 billion+ budget surplus. Spend some of that money that's supposed to be spent on taking care of roads and infrastructure. The freshly added 12 cents per gallon will only add to that surplus. (Other than Arco piss gas, prices are climbing past $3.49 or more per gallon as it is.) There's plenty of money there without hitting EV owners up for anything more at this time. Some day? Yes. Today? NO.

gjli888 | January 31, 2018

Of equal if not more significance regarding impact to the environment, California should put in place some legislature measures to either reduce gas emission from lawn mowers, or gradually outlaw the use of such.

One effective way is to provide continued (attractive) incentives to homeowners and businesses who replace grass lawns with artificial turfs.

Thoughts?

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a new gas powered lawn mower produces volatile organic compounds and nitrogen oxides emissions air pollution in one hour of operation as 11 new cars each being driven for one hour.

sabentz | January 31, 2018

perhaps incentives for electric or battery powered mowers? I have replaced my lawn to reduce water usage, but some refuse to do so

stevenmaifert | January 31, 2018

@coolnewworld - That would be California SB1 which also imposes an additional $100 per year on the registration fees for zero emission vehicles starting in 2020. How's that for an incentive!

Coastal Cruiser. | January 31, 2018

If I was ever elected "king" one of the first things I would do is ban gas powered leaf blowers. Get a broom and dust pan, instead of blowing your clippings and dirt from you yard into my yard!

(I guess with that logic even electric leaf blowers would have to go)

Danakazam | January 31, 2018

I went to the california website and read the wording. There are no specifics in terms of the rebates; the executive order says it will be "...continuing vehicle rebates for consumers". So perhaps the exact details have yet to be worked out, but current rebates, at least, will be continued.

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2018/01/26/governor-brown-takes-action-to-increas...

As best I could tell from googling 'executive order', if the state process works as the Fed process, an executive order is not immediately binding on the people, as a law is. Rather it is something of a directive to the legislature, instructing them to enact a bill to fulfill the order. Or, the legislature can enact a bill to overturn the order.

It would be interesting to the track record of how the law makers have reacted to Jerry's orders, as there seems to have been a slew of them.

If our resident attorney at large open this thread he may be able to enlighten us further. ;>

johnmann | January 31, 2018

CC - "If I was ever elected "king" one of the first things I would do is ban gas powered leaf blowers. Get a broom and dust pan, instead of blowing your clippings and dirt from you yard into my yard!"

Hear hear!

They are one of my pet peeves. In fact I hate them. The motors exhaust a tremendous amount of pollution, they are noisy, and people just blow their detritus out into the street and the wind eventually brings it back so that they have to blow it away again the next week.

What ever happened to using a broom? Quiet, effective, and provides a little bit of exercise. And sometimes you actually get to have a conversation with a passing neighbor while sweeping.

John, do you use an electric or a mechanical can opener?

If we all replace our grass turf with artificial turf, there will not be any more discussions on gas or electric, mower or leaf blower.

Just like many other things in life, some kind of financial incentives, either from the government or from the utility company, will motivate those who stuck out.

"If we all replace our grass turf with artificial turf, there will not be any more discussions on gas or electric, mower or leaf blower."

I see. So trees do not drop leaves on artificial turf. ;> ;>

globalMan | January 31, 2018

CC: Nope. But I cannot do all the thinking for you.

stevenmaifert | January 31, 2018

Gov. Brown is termed out and will be replaced this November. His successor will likely be of the same political party, but that Executive order could be cancelled if the new person thinks we should all be riding high speed rail or better yet... Hyper loops :)

carlk | January 31, 2018

There was a bill introduced a few months ago in CA assembly for new extended EV rebate but withdrawn for whatever reasons. That bill was more or less to make up for federal tax rebate which many at that time thought will be elminated. My guess is a new bill like that is likely to be introduced this year.

johnmann | January 31, 2018

CC- “John, do you use an electric or a mechanical can opener?”

Hand cranked of course. And I use a push mower for the little bit of grass I have left.

Ha ha. I just wanted to see how close are sensibilities line up. You probably use the staircase in lieu of the elevator at times too.

EM34ME | January 31, 2018

"One effective way is to provide continued (attractive) incentives to homeowners and businesses who replace grass lawns with artificial turfs.

Thoughts?"
"If we all replace our grass turf with artificial turf, there will not be any more discussions on gas or electric, mower or leaf blower.

Just like many other things in life, some kind of financial incentives, either from the government or from the utility company, will motivate those who stuck out."

Artificial turf is one of the most environmentally unfriendly materials on earth. It is an environmental disaster. I have the professional credentials to back my scientific conclusion. I look forward to the day when artificial turf is banned in California.

There are a number of green ground covers that are drought tolerant and look good year round. We have an award winning landscape at our home and we use 1/3 the water of the average family in our area. Oh, and we wash dishes by hand and use a mechanical can opener and use an electric mower powered by Solar City PV. Personal water conservation can be done without hardship, it just takes a personal commitment.

Bri | January 31, 2018

Cannabis, the “other” grass. I hear it’s quite drought tolerant.

LOL.

EM34ME | January 31, 2018

"Cannabis, the “other” grass. I hear it’s quite drought tolerant."

Cannabis sativa will survive in some drought conditions but does best with moderate water. It is not a "grass" but a shrub and certainly not a ground cover in the traditional definition. You can use it for ornamental purposes, but is not generally recommended. there will always be some clown who will try to push the limits. And Cannabis is more environmentally friendly than artificial turf.

ReD eXiLe ms us | February 1, 2018

I was surprised to realize how many people plant Rosemary in their yards for ornamental purposes and have no idea how great it is as an herb for cooking.

Tropopause | February 1, 2018

All of my yard machines are Li-ion powered. Tesla Solar has been ordered. I appreciate the help received from CA to switch to BEV automobiles and solar.

johnmann | February 1, 2018

CC - “You probably use the staircase in lieu of the elevator at times too.”

Guilty as charged.

Almost all of our lawn has been replaced by landscape shrubs and ornamental grasses. Not so much to conserve water though since we usually have no shortage of it in Seattle. Almost all garden tools are muscle powered except for our gas powered chipper/shredder. I’m sorry to say I’ve had to buy two gallons of gas for it in the past six years. Some day it will be replaced.

Coastal Cruiser. | February 1, 2018

Keep the chipper. They come in handy for all sorts of things. Just ask the guy in Fargo.

(I'm a desert landscape man myself. Joshua Tree motif. And succulents).