Forums

Summon feature failed on my new Model X and hit the garage wall

Summon feature failed on my new Model X and hit the garage wall

I recently bought Model X on July 2nd. I am using "summon" feature to park the car in my garage. It was perfectly working fine until today. I used the summon feature to forward the car into my garage and I couldn't believe and it hit my garage wall. Drive side mirror broken and garage wall damaged too. I am in a big shock, can't believe this. I have called Tesla customer support, they advised me to take the service center for the diagnostics. Please advise if anyone went through similar experience and how did you managed to take care of this issue. Thanks in advance!

tommyaros | 18 July 2018

Never used that feature for that reason.....sorry for your pain....

Wilber | 18 July 2018

Raavi - Sorry to hear about your experience. That is a very concerning failure of summon. I dont use summon so cant help you with that. But, can you please provide us with what firmware version you are running and when you installed it?

raavihari | 18 July 2018

Thanks for your responses. Here is the version: 2018.24.1 12dd099. We just got this car delivered on July 2nd. Driver side small auto glass broken completely and left side mirror has a dent. Do I need to go to Tesla service center first for the diagnostics or get it repaired at the body shop? Not sure how much it costs?

dmanincali | 18 July 2018

Is it just the mirror and the chrome like piece underneath? If so you don't need body shop work -- although if the colored cap was damaged they'll need to order you a new one. They can just replace the motorized arm. If damage is on the side of the vehicle then you may need body shop work.

raavihari | 18 July 2018

Thanks! Mirror is working fine. It’s just chrome like piece broken. Also, side small glass next to mirror broken into pieces.

Wilber | 18 July 2018

Raavi - thanks for the info. I assume that the firmware version you are running is what was delivered with the car. I just wanted to rule out a recent download/install that you might have done the night before the summon problem happened. But, that seems not to be the case.

So, kind of strange that summon was working fine for about 2 weeks and then it didnt. Will be interesting to see if others have had summon problems with version 2018.24.1

Gee, it seems you should probably phone the SC to see how to proceed. But, i havent had to have bodywork done on my X, so i dont know when/how the bodyshop comes into the process. Others can answer that question for you.

Vawlkus | 19 July 2018

I use summon regularly, although not daily, and this is something I cannot fathom happening. If I stand within a foot of the front quarter panel the car will detect me and either try to avoid me or stop, thinking it’s blocked.

jjgunn | 19 July 2018

I don't understand how this happened? When I've used it the car stops as soon as it detects any objects in it's path. Doesn't make any sense.

Sorry this happened. Maybe the SC can find something in the logs

raavihari | 19 July 2018

Brought the car to the service center today. Will keep you all posted.

avesraggiana | 19 July 2018

@raavihari. Yes, please keep us posted. Both my elderly parents routinely use Summons to pull their cars out of the garage, as well as bring them in. Never had a problem.

raavihari | 20 July 2018

Service center is working with out field engineers to get to the bottom of whatever happened. It may take few days for them. SC gave me a loaner car in the meantime. Great customer service!

Redmiata98 | 20 July 2018

I am running 2018.26 and use summon to back my car OUT of the garage daily. I can not reliably get it to park, it consistently stops partially in so I drive it in. My clearance is very close on either side of the doorway but has always cleared the entrance BUT I have to make sure I manually fold my mirrors when driving in. (The summon command on my X usually closes the mirrors automatically but a few times it did not so I always check.)
Did you close your mirrors or did they auto close BEFORE the car started moving? Would the damage have occurred if the mirrors had been folded or were they folded?

davidahn | 20 July 2018

Which wall did it hit? The left side wall or the exterior wall/garage door frame? Can’t be the front wall (nearest the frunk), as that wouldn’t damage the mirror.

renovations4u | 21 July 2018

Hi all, yesterday after the update our summon which was not working before started working however at one time taking it into the garage the car started to go towards the edge of the door and I stopped it at only one inch from the wall, it was scary.

With sensors I have another issue and that is while driving on highway, if in a construction lane a pylon is placed inside my lane, Tesla failed to recognize and was almost hitting the option before I took over.

Lastly it does not recognize the lane ending.

Can Anyone throw light on auto park in garage.

Anyone feel different? Pls advise.

renovations4u | 21 July 2018

Hi all, yesterday after the update our summon which was not working before started working however at one time taking it into the garage the car started to go towards the edge of the door and I stopped it at only one inch from the wall, it was scary.

With sensors I have another issue and that is while driving on highway, if in a construction lane a pylon is placed inside my lane, Tesla failed to recognize and was almost hitting the pylon before I took over.

Lastly it does not recognize the lane ending.

Can Anyone throw light on auto park in garage.

Anyone feel different? Pls advise.

raavihari | 21 July 2018

@renovations4u, Mirrors auto closed BEFORE the car started moving.

raavihari | 21 July 2018

@davidahn, it hit the left side garage door frame. Left mirror chrome plate broken and the small glass on the left side broken into pieces. Garage door frame broken as well.

georgehawley.fl.us | 21 July 2018

Tesla summon moves the car in a straight line.

If you start the car on a slight angle off 90 degrees with respect to the plane of the garage door opening, the car will continue in that direction until it senses an obstacle in front of the car. The Model X has ultrasonic sensors on the sides for rhe FW doors but they are behind the side view mirrors and will not help avoid a door frame.

If you start the car so that it is offset with respect to the opening, it will continue in a straight line on that offset.

Either way you can scrape the side of the car that protrudes the most. I.e. The side view mirror as you learned.

There is a sensor on each corner of the bumpers front and rear. Don't know why those don't seem to come into play. It could be that they sense the proximity to the door frame as they pass it but then see the side garage wall that is further away.

davidahn | 22 July 2018

@georgehawley, god point... I'd forgotten summon can only go straight forward and backward, it's not self-parking. And there are limits to how much the sensors can do.

Ohmster | 22 July 2018

I use Summon twice daily. To park and back out. It does not simply go in a straight line. I angle the car toward the left wall before I get out and engage. The car will steer and adjust itself to compensate for my inconsistencies. I have a pylon placed on the right side as a guide. The car will steer away from it and the left wall to park properly.

‘17 S75 & X75D: Uncorked AP2.5 18.26x2. Grin on!

georgehawley.fl.us | 22 July 2018

@Ohmster: you are right. The car can maneuver a little but tends not to stray much from a straight line. Sometimes it just aborts. Summon is nothing like self parking where the pre-defined task causes the car react to a defined space between two vehicles. In that case the steering wheel spins like crazy and the car maneuvers aggressively this way and that. Summon is kind of open ended hence the tendency is to generally go in a straight line if possible with a preset distance limit when backing up.

In your case your car is reacting to a wall and a pylon inside the garage. In the OP's case it is not reacting to the door frame. If the wall inside the garage is say 18" off to the side of the car's trajectory and the door frame is 3" to the side, once the front end of the car passes the door frame, the wall, being a safe distance to the side presents no stimulus to turn the wheels. That's my surmise. I am too chicken to test it.... :-))

Here's the warning about narrow openings in the Owner's Manual:

Warning: Parking in a narrow space limits the ability of the sensors to accurately detect the location of obstacles, increasing the risk of damage to Model X and/or surrounding objects.

The owner's manual also says the following:

"...Summon moves the vehicle along the original path provided the environment has not changed (i.e. no obstructions have been introduced). If obstacles are detected, Summon attempts to avoid the obstacles while staying as close as possible to its original path."

So, if you start the car on a path that is not perpendicular to the plane of the opening, it will maneuver to avoid obstacles but it will try to keep going in the direction that it starts on.

davidahn | 22 July 2018

I wasn't aware that Tesla now has summon auto-park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CylGBz4Tj94

You can see the steering wheel actually turning to get into the garage in the example videos.

@raavi, did you have the MX partially in the garage? If so, the sensors would not have been able to see the garage opening and was probably looking at the inside left garage wall and thought it had room to move left. If that's not the case, you should definitely take it to the service center and see if they can access the logs to see what went wrong. Sensor calibration might be needed.

In any case, we should always be ready to step in at any moment rather than simply trusting this beta software.

Ohmster | 22 July 2018

^Yup. After 8 months of use, I still watch it closely with the FOB in my hand ready to abort. I'd say it works perfectly 90% of the time and allows the car to be inches from the wall (where I wouldn't be able to get in or out). The other 10%, it stops, but will resume if I initiate Summon again. And a few times it has gone completely brain dead and driven over the base of the cone, which then tips the whole thing and if not stopped crams the top of into the wheel well.

To me it's not a gimmick, but allows the S to be as far left in the garage as possible, giving us about 3 feet between it and the X (which we never use Summon for).

'17 S75 & X75D: Uncorked AP2.5 18.26x2. Grin on!

davidahn | 22 July 2018

@ohmster, any reason you only summon the S and not the MX? I just tried the key fob summon on my MS and apparently it's only for the MX?

georgehawley.fl.us | 22 July 2018

@davidahn: thanks for the link to the excellent video about the summon function.

It is interesting that in my AP1 MX, Summon appears in the settings menu under Autopark. Autopark must be omnipresent because I find no way to turn it off or on unlike the Summon function. The guy that narrated the video uses the terminology "Autopark Summon". But in the app it appears as Summon. Either way, he reinforces the dependence of Summon on a straight line path.

I have asked Tesla on several occasions to implement software that would enable me to train the car the execute a complex maneuver when it is summoned from the garage. I need an S turn--
Left turn leaving the garage and right turn after completely out of the garage. Then make a sharp left turn to be able to proceed.

Ohmster | 22 July 2018

@davidahn.

1. It's the wife's car and I drive it maybe once a week.
2. The tolerance on both sides is significantly higher than for the S, therefore negating the need (3-5' left, 4-5' right)
2. I made an elaborate setup to 'guide' my S on the left side. This includes pvc pipes with reflectors along the left side and a reflective cone on the right. Too lazy to do for MX.

'17 S75 & X75D: Uncorked AP2.5 18.26x2. Grin on!

davidahn | 22 July 2018

@georgehawley, programmability would be amazing... but probably not gonna happen due to the small segment of the Tesla market that would benefit.

@ohmster, thanks! Glad to hear it’s your specific situation rather than something technically wrong with the MX.