Forums

wi-fi router problem

wi-fi router problem

My Model 3 refuses to connect with my d-link home wi-fi network. Tesla service made great efforts to solve the problem but their final answer was to get another router. What router brand/model do you find works with your car?

Magic 8 Ball | 12 September 2018

I switched from d-link to Netgear a long time ago.

jvcesare | 12 September 2018

I use Netgear
Linksys is also good.
D-Link is a low end Taiwanese brand.

Teslaguy | 12 September 2018

See if that will link with some other Wi-Fi system before you buy something new

roger.klurfeld | 12 September 2018

I have a TP-Link router. I have my Tesla on a 2.4 Gig guest network. No problems connecting to my car in the driveway next to my house. 2.4 gig signal travels farther than a 5 gig signal, but is slower.

majassow | 12 September 2018

Check your security settings. I had an AP using WPA-PSK (TKIP), and the M3 would not connect. Changing to WPA-PSK (AES) allowed me to connect. Better yet, use WPA2 if it is supported.

black_w34 | 6 October 2019

Most likely the problem is not in the car, but in the router itself. My friend recently tried to make some kind of network settings and eventually crashed the entire home local network. He was in a panic because he did not know what to do. I found out about his problem and looked for a solution on http://www.whatsmyrouterip.com. As a result, I repaired the entire network and now he has the Internet. This service is free and it helps to know the IP router, but in addition to this, there is a lot of information on the networks and settings of the routers. So if you have any problems with the router, then you will definitely find a solution there.

jrweiss98020 | 6 October 2019

My Linksys WRT3200 works just fine with the car and everything else I have.

I had a Netgear Nighthawk, but it failed in less than a year.

There should be NO reason to use any security encryption less than WPA2. All current routers, and most of them built in the last 5+ years support it.

SalisburySam | 7 October 2019

@drrock75k, any reasonably-recent router should work. Does your router work with all other WiFi devices? If so, maybe the problem isn’t the router. How old is the router? If more than, say, 5 years old, your entire home network would benefit from a newer one with better security features, more stable/improved WiFi, etc., etc. What is the strength of your WiFi signal at the car? You can test this by using your smartphone and any of the speed testing apps. So here’s what I would try, in this order, it is my 12-step program for WiFi connections:

1- Unplug your modem
2- Unplug your router, and any range extenders you may have
3- Go have a beer, take a leak, play catch with the dog, whatever to kill 3-4 minutes
4- Plug in modem
5- After modem boots completely, plug in router
6- Check to see if the rest of your home network is working properly
7- Go into your router’s settings and see if there is a firmware update. If so, apply it and reboot.
8- Plug in any range extenders you have, and wait until fully booted.
9- Test your WiFi with your smartphone again next to the car.
10- Assuming your signal is reasonably strong, try reconnecting your car to the network, first on the 2.4GHz band since coverage tends to be better.
11- If it works on 2.4GHz, then see if it works on the 5GHz. If so, leave it there.
12- If no joy, get a new router. I’ve used an Apple AirPort Extreme, Linksys EA9500, and a series of 8 eero Pro’s in a mesh network. My Model 3 worked well on the Apple and its Linksys replacement. I don’t have the mesh network available to my detached garage yet so cannot speak to that.