Forums

Version 9.0 locks up twice on morning commute

Version 9.0 locks up twice on morning commute

I have a 15 Model S 85D and recently updated the software. While commuting to work on a busy Mass pike the software locked up on me twice while at high speed!

1. I changed the screen from Night Mode to Day mode, while it was flipping I accidentally touched the screen again and it locked up with a opaque modal over the whole screen. The MCU then rebooted itself, luckily the car still functioned fine.

2. Second time, I changed it from ABC news to a streaming music station and about 3 min into the song the MCU locks up and the speakers start playing an awful skipping sound at around level 7. I have no control of the screen or volume controls on the wheel. It was extremely disorienting while driving at 70mph. I didn't know what to do because the last time I force restarted my MCU it bricked the car and they had to replace it!! So here goes nothing, pull over and reset the MCU...it came back, thank god.

Not impressed with this update, seems rushed...I should have waited for 9.1. Now I can't trust this damn car, what else will bug out!??!

NKYTA | 9 October 2018

They replaced the whole car, or just the MCU?
Bricked means the High Voltage Battery was drained completely - really hard to do unless you are trying to do it.

grins.va | 9 October 2018

Your Model S "bricked" and Tesla replaced it? Free? Wow. How did I miss that event on this forum?

RayOnTheRun | 9 October 2018

"It" refers to the MCU. The MCU bricked making the car unusable. They replaced the MCU. The battery did not drain. They said the firmware version that I had caused an issue that could not factory reset the MCU as the previous driver's profiles would not delete. When I tried performing a reset as instructed by them the car never responded...hence "bricking" the car.

carlk | 9 October 2018

How did you change from night mode to day mode?

From the display submenu in controls. It was a cloudy and foggy so I switched Manually to night mode. Then when the sun broke through I set it back to Auto, which switched it to day mode and it locked the MCU.

NKYTA | 9 October 2018

"the car never responded...hence "bricking" the car."
Yeah, that is not what that means.

Sounds like you have had a problem with electronics in the MCU. It is certainly possible it was exacerbated by V9, but I wouldn't make that leap. Likely electronic components. Still under warranty? Get 'er fixed.

"Bricked" was the term used by the service center. The car had to literally be pulled out the garage because it would not respond to any actions hence turning the vehicle into a 5K LB brick.

Not sure what you mean because the MCU is now brand new. Are you saying other components within the car? Yes it's under warranty and I took video of the incident for the Service Center.