Forums

Kentucky registration.

Kentucky registration.

Mdeb | 17 October 2018

Just leased a new Model X and since Tesla isn't licensed to do business in KY I had to register the car in Florida where I have a vacation home. Now we're selling the home and have to move the car's registration to KY within 30 days. To do this KY requires Tesla to provide proof of title (no problem I presume) and something called a U-Drive-It permit which allows me to pay sales tax on the lease payment monthly and not the sales tax on the market value of the vehicle which would be 6% of $115,000 or so, as if I bought the car here. Does anyone currently lease a Tesla registered in KY and how did you get around paying the sales tax on the market value (sometimes called a use tax)? I can't believe I'm the only one in KY that is leasing a Tesla, but Tesla is saying they've never heard of a U-Drive-It permit.

bjhinkle | 20 May 2019

Did you ever find an answer to this? I was trying to figure this out as well. I have a workaround in mind but I don't know if it's strictly legit. I'd like to be legit.

blue adept | 20 May 2019

Shouldn't it work the same way as with any other leased vehicle no matter whatever state you're in?

I don't understand the complication(s)...???

Since when does a company have to have a 'place of business' located in any given state in order to do business/distribute their products there?!

This all sounds...fishy.