Forums

What percentage of Tesla owners experienced DMV registration issues?

What percentage of Tesla owners experienced DMV registration issues?

How many people had to get temporary tag extensions because Tesla didn't register their car quickly or didn't provide the necessary documents to do it yourself?

On other Tesla forums I am reading LOTS of people experiencing trouble getting the title of their car from Tesla or getting their car registered. Are you one?

TeslaTap.com | 18 December 2018

I've not had any problems with multiple Teslas. I've see a couple of issues in the past on the forums, usually with states that do not allow Teslas to be sold within that state. Even then is seems quite rare, but perhaps I've missed the posts you are referencing.

acerfacer | 19 December 2018

Purchased new S 100D on 9/9/18, one week before free supercharging expired. Madhouse atmosphere at SC, thus DS forgot to provide copies of title/registration. Also forgot to affix temp tag to rear window. Got a call to return to SC to pick up paperwork and get tag taped on window. A dif DS located my paperwork and, instead of also locating the missing window tag, generated another one. DMV now had two temp tags in their system for the same car. That's when the fun really began ...

Vegan | 21 December 2018

"usually with states that do not allow Teslas to be sold within that state."

Registration problems can happen in any state. My issues are in a state that has a special carve-out to allow Tesla to do direct sales. There's no issue selling cars in my state. The issue is that Tesla can't get me the title to the car they sold me a month ago. I need the title to register it, plain and simple, per DMV regulations regarding the type of sale.

I think the main issue is that the volume of sales for Tesla this year exceeds their capacity to handle the process efficiently and with good customer service.

MilesMD88 | 21 December 2018

Only problem was at GA DMV office in 2015. She kept asking “how many cylinders?” I said “none” She says ”well it has to have cylinders”
Tesla’s were so new back then, they didn’t know how to do it. A supervisor came out and got me on my way.

marychristenson | 22 December 2018

Delivery on 11/08/18 in MN, now on 4(?) extension. State says no paper work from Tesla.

red.nixen | 22 December 2018

Hello, I also read some problems about the ban on the sale of Teslas in some states

Yodrak. | 22 December 2018

"How many people had to get temporary tag extensions because Tesla didn't register their car quickly or didn't provide the necessary documents to do it yourself?"

Recently, or over all? I suspect that the answers will be quite different depending on the time frame.

wisam.alrawi | 22 December 2018

I live in San Diego, CA. I got the temporary tags then the license plates and registration in approx 3 weeks. They were quick.

wisam.alrawi | 22 December 2018

I got my car in September 2018.

reed_lewis | 1 July 2019

Here in Massachusetts, there are no temporary tags at all. But the good thing is that Tesla can register the car for you. The only negative when picking up at the end of the month in June was that there were no EV plates for EV cars. So I got a regular plate which sucks.

rxlawdude | 1 July 2019

@asshokk - FLAGGED.