Forums

Just purchased 16’ X 75D, battery question

Just purchased 16’ X 75D, battery question

Hi everyone,

I truly love my Model 3, but couldn’t pass up the great deal I found on a 11/16 build X with EAP and free supercharging. In the Dropbox pictures, it looks like the battery is in the yellow but it’s pretty blurry to see. I was going to have them charge it to 90% to see what degradation it’s showing. Is there any other way to test for battery health to show the last owner didn’t abuse it? I will have check in hand and I want to make sure the battery is healthy after I look over the exterior before handing it to them. Thanks!

Model - X | 18 February 2019

I would be more concerned about windshield ghosting than the battery.

Makemark | 18 February 2019

Yeah - I agree. I purchased one similar and the windshield ghosting is bad! Any ideas how to make a compelling case?

Wingz4life | 18 February 2019

Thanks for the replies... I just looked this ghosting up and a couple forums said Tesla had a fix coming and the owner said Tesla was covering it. This was 2 years ago. What has Tesla told you guys? Do the replacement windshields fix this issue?

hoffenberg | 18 February 2019

What is windshield ghosting?

Uncle Paul | 18 February 2019

A slight refractive error due to the slant of that giant windshield.

Can make head and tail lights (especially LED) have a slight ghost over the light. Not a big deal, but some have issues with it.

Service center can check it out, and have replaced some that fell outside parameters.

Uncle Paul | 18 February 2019

A slight refractive error due to the slant of that giant windshield.

Can make head and tail lights (especially LED) have a slight ghost over the light. Not a big deal, but some have issues with it.

Service center can check it out, and have replaced some that fell outside parameters.

wang5150 | 18 February 2019

I have Aug 2016 X75D and don't have any windshield ghosting issue. Not sure how an owner can "abuse" the battery pack... but mine was uncorked to get higher performance from the drive units.

Abusing the battery pack as in constantly charging to 100% and leaving it charged at that state for long periods or leaving the battery near 0% for long periods. This would cause faster degradation according to Tesla. Mine was uncorked as well.

So what’s the average SOC at 90% for a 75D? I am in the minority if I consistently see 203 at 90%?

I’m guessing that’s about a 5% degradation....How many miles on the car?

I have purchased it at about 30k miles on it. And it’s been that since.. right now, I have 35k

bjorn | 18 February 2019

Isn't more like 7/234 = 3%.
My 12/18 has about 1.1% range loss at 4k miles, so I might end up there as well.

Solarman004 | 18 February 2019

I have an Aug 2016, 75D, 40000 miles.
- No ghosting
- Seeing 205 miles at 90%

rexarat | 18 February 2019

Uncorked X75D 2016 AP2 EAP purchased used as well. I posted similar question about a day ago. Mines reading 198mi at 90% with only 17K miles on it. I spoke with the Tesla ranger today and he told me that there could be an issue with balancing the battery from the previous owner not charging correctly. He suggested draining the battery to a comfortable low level, like 40mile range and charging back to 100% to see the real degradation numbers.

On charging correctly, he mention that Tesla used to say to plug and charge the car nightly, but that has since changed. He suggested that it isn’t necessary to charge every night but when you do charge make sure to charge to 90%. Any other charge limit may unbalance the battery and display a lower range.

Currently in the process of trying this out. I will update my findings once I do it. Hope this helps!

Wingz4life | 19 February 2019

Thanks Rex!

bonhari03 | 25 February 2019

I’ve got 19,000 miles on our X75d and get 203 with a 90%charge. Only charged to 100% once. But charged mostly at Superchargers. Not sure if that is good or bad. I usually look at % charge rather than miles. It’s more accurate and keeps my mileage anxiety at bay.