Forums

Really? A used-to-be good decision now turns to be stupid for early customers supporting Tesla's software development?

Really? A used-to-be good decision now turns to be stupid for early customers supporting Tesla's software development?

https://www.tesla.com/blog/upgrading-autopilot-and-full-self-driving-cap...

Please correct me if I'm wrong. For those who purchased EAP when FSC was not even available, now they need to pay total $7000 ($5000 when buying the car + $2000 for now FSC upgrade). However, for those who never buy autopilot, now only $5000 total to get the FSC? I wish my calculation was wrong. Please advise.

lifu119 | 5 March 2019

This is too terrible to be true. Isn't it?

TeslaTap.com | 5 March 2019

EAP is no longer available. There is a new more limited feature called AP. So new buyers can get AP for $3K, and FSD for $5K more ($8K in all). What I suspect you and a few others misread on the order form is it shows FSD for $5K. If you click on it, it also turns on AP (which is required for FSD). This adds another $3K for $8K total.

lifu119 | 5 March 2019

"TeslaTap.com | March 5, 2019
EAP is no longer available. There is a new more limited feature called AP. So new buyers can get AP for $3K, and FSD for $5K more ($8K in all). What I suspect you and a few others misread on the order form is it shows FSD for $5K. If you click on it, it also turns on AP (which is required for FSD). This adds another $3K for $8K total."

Thanks for your input. I know the new price of 8000 total. I meant the upgrade toward FSC from "zero" and EAP for customers buying Tesla before price change. It looks like total 5000 (or 6000?) upgrade fee for those who chose not to buy EAP, while 7000 for those already bought EAP. There are indeed too many numbers around, quite confusing.

jimglas | 5 March 2019

you cannot buy FSD without first purchasing AP
$8k total

There is a small number of people who ordered and paid for the car prior to Feb-28, but hadn't taken delivery at that time. With the price reductions, Tesla is offering some discounts to AP/FSD for these select purchasers.

If you already have your car, and bought EAP, you can get FSD for $2K ($1K less than it used to be).

I'm less clear if those that bought a car a while back can get the new deal. You may be right that older owners without EAP/FSD can get it for $5,000, but it's not clear if that is open to all prior owners. Sounds like a great cash generator for Tesla, as the incremental cost is very low to turn on the software. Those that bought EAP a while ago have enjoyed the use of the features during the last few years, so there is value to having it longer than an old owner that now activates the feature. As for FSD, not so much value since it doesn't do anything yet.

TAC | 5 March 2019

I am in the $10.5k FSD/EAP package club. Buying EAP for $5.5k after trial and then $5k for FSD. While this was 100% my decision my faith and trust in Tesla was strong. The lesson I learned is that the ones who supported less now get exactly what I purchases for way less. Yes the early access program sounds great and I welcome that. However it is not enough for my $5k FSD purchase +$5.5k eap. I bought FSD within the first month of taking Delivery of my model 3 and they would not honor the 3k on delivery purchase. So I came to terms with that. And now this is the the final burn giving me a sick feeling in my stomach pretty much all day. If I would have waited, I could have gotten FSD for $2k. Via Tesla phone call with me today they are no issuing any refunds. He said, maybe next month they will issue a refund. So dangle more carrots in front of me?. There is no clarity even on the early access program. Do I just get software updates early or am I getting HW3 early also? I am honestly considering doing a chargeback for FSD and then repurchasing for 2k. What I really want is FSD for $3k and the early access program. I have no problem paying the 3k after delivery purchase of FSD. Why they won’t price match a pre order for something that doesn’t even exist yet is beyond me. It feels totally wrong and unethical without some proper compensation if they don’t want to offer a refund / price match. It would be a totally dif story if it was just EAP changing its price. I wouldn’t gripe a bit since I actually had something tangible in the system. A preorder is gaming changing on how it’s handled in my book.

How I feel right now:
Punished for supporting while the hold outs, naysayers are getting rewarded with a 2k FSD purchase who had the now defunct EAP pilot package.

While always hard to say why various choices are made by owners, I generally do not recommend buying items that have no clear delivery date (i.e. FSD). Even at $2K (for those that have EAP) I suggest a wait and see.

The best example I can give is if your car is totaled tomorrow, while the insurance will pay it off, the FSD stays with the car. Generally all options are severely discounted in a resale or totaled situation - so you really would get zero value in this situation.

Now it's always possible once FSD is fully available, Tesla could raise the price. We really don't know and it's a gamble both in pre-buying such a feature or waiting until it provides some tangible benefit.

lifu119 | 5 March 2019

@TeslaTap.com | March 5, 2019
"I'm less clear if those that bought a car a while back can get the new deal. You may be right that older owners without EAP/FSD can get it for $5,000, but it's not clear if that is open to all prior owners......"

I guess the following statement from Tesla clarifies the issue? If I understand the "Any customers" right. In my point of view, all interests of buyers before the price change have been hurt by this price reduction, somehow.

"Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000)....."

lifu119 | 5 March 2019

@TAC | March 5, 2019
"I am in the $10.5k FSD/EAP package club. Buying EAP for $5.5k after trial and then $5k for FSD. While this was 100% my decision my faith and trust in Tesla was strong......naysayers are getting rewarded with a 2k FSD purchase who had the now defunct EAP pilot package."

Really sorry to hear your situation. I was a Tesla fan. But I really don't give that the same now. Good EV maker, but amateurish business.

Yodrak. | 5 March 2019

"Punished for supporting while the hold outs, naysayers are getting rewarded ..."

Call me a cynic, but you and many others who bought Tesla cars didn't buy them because [collective] you wanted Tesla to become a successful car company that would change the automotive world. On the contrary, you bought the Tesla because you like what the car and the company has to offer and you hope that the company is successful because you own the car and need the company to be there to service it, and because no other company can offer a comparable product.

All car companies, all companies that provide products of any kind, adjust their pricing and their offerings from time to time. You chose when to by - you could have bought sooner or you could have bought later. Accept the decision you made..

TAC | 5 March 2019

I am responsible for my decision and accept the outcome they decide.. I am glad to be part of it all and will concentrate on the positives to come of it all.

lifu119 | 5 March 2019

Certainly we pay for our prices. But companies disappointing customers won't last for long. No exception for Tesla. Market and competition will tell. For those who seems to have better cake today will be disappointed eventually if Tesla keeps doing so.

TAC | 5 March 2019

I am redacting most of what I said early and am in the position of extreme gratitude for the vehicle I have. Although I paid $5k for FSD and $5.5k for eap I have to remember the original reasons why I did so in the first place. I am looking forward to the early access program and I hope it includes early hardware 3 in April as I presumed along with FSD in the alpha / beta stages. Thank you Tesla you have changed the world and mine! LET’S DISINTIGRATE THESE ICE CARS INTO OBLIVION!

rxlawdude | 5 March 2019

@Ttap "Generally all options are severely discounted in a resale or totaled situation - so you really would get zero value in this situation."

I think one with documentation of the fee paid for FSD that an opposing party (IOW, the at-fault party) is obligated to pay for a comparable vehicle with comparable features. And that would include FSD.

Now, if the totaled vehicle was your fault and you're dealing with your own insurance, all bets are off.

bp | 6 March 2019

For those of us who've already purchased both EAP & FSD, and won't benefit from the 1/2 price activation sale, Tesla is going to "give" us an invitation to join the Early Access Program, essentially paying them to help Tesla find bugs before the software is distributed, in exchange for getting less stable software earlier.

Should current customers be frustrated about the price drop? Yes...

But despite that, we still greatly enjoy both of our S/X vehicles - and despite the impact of these changes on current customers - this is what Tesla needed to do at some point to bring their prices down and be able to more effectively compete against ICEs and the new EVs, especially without the US tax credit.

lifu119 | 6 March 2019

I love Tesla and own an AWD Long range M3. I believe all owners definitely wish this company to be good and last for long. That's why we should just point it out when Tesla is doing something not right.

I think, to every early buyers, Tesla tried to send a massage that the earlier you put money in, you save. It doesn't matter if you wish to save or not. One could easily tell this when Tesla stated $5000 for EAP before delivery while $7000 after delivery. It looked like a both win. Early buyer saved $2000 while Tesla got the quick money for development.

Now? The both-win brakes. The early buyers pay more to get FSD because you chose to support the development with or without awareness.

Tesla could just move forward without doing anything. But how would this affect model Y? Or Pick up? How many percentages of potential buyer will hold and wait? Does Tesla really do itself a favor?

With all other brand like BBA jumping into EV market, will all of those fooled early customers buy Tesla again? Or maybe give other brands a chance?

I don't think it is only about refund and money. It has come to a point about how to do the business in the right way. I wish Tesla could think twice.

El Mirio | 6 March 2019

@dorisxian you are right, Tesla shouldn't promise an advantage to buy early and change goal posts eliminating that early buyiers advantage, this has nothing to do with product advancement but staying true to the initial promise.

This is specific to FSD, buying the car as an early adopter didn't promise any advantage.

EVolution | 6 March 2019

yes, they screwed up

weluvm3 | 7 March 2019

I agree. Tesla should fix this.

18393738bc | 7 March 2019

nice

SO | 7 March 2019

As people can see, a LOT of changes are happening at the moment.

For those disappointed, discouraged, etc. just wait a bit for things to settle down.

SO | 7 March 2019

On my 2017 S90D with HW 2.0, I didn’t buy any form of Autopilot at time of purchase.

Yesterday, the price for AP and FSD was 11k. Way too much. Now it is 5k. Reasonable IMHO.

I think many will buy at this price. If this helps make TSLA profitable this quarter, that should also help the SP.

For the others who spent 8k at time of purchase for FSD because it was encouraged, I do think Tesla should reward you for that more than just the early access program. We shall see. Give it a bit of time.

finman100 | 7 March 2019

this chart kinda helped me. I at least know what column I'm in, haha:

https://imgur.com/2ajuJyy

JDubs | 8 March 2019

I paid for FSD last year when I bought the car and agree with all the has been said above.

I am very hopeful that by lowering the price Tesla gets a lot more purchasers of both AP and FSD and uses some of the proceeds to refund those of us that pre-paid before March. Pushing the software updates to the new buyers costs Tesla ~$0, so refunds could be issued without hitting Tesla's pockets.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

rajatgaikwad4950 | 8 March 2019

Nice information. Thanks for sharing this informative blog with us. I really need this type of blog and I’m so lucky to found this. also visit . https://www.smvinfotech.com/software-development-company-patna.php http://www.spmindia.org/packers-and-movers-in-Darbhanga.html