Forums

Summon from Driveway

Summon from Driveway

Anyone has issues with using Summon to park the car in the Garage?
My driveway has minimal slope into the Garage and the vehicle doesn't move at all and the Summon keeps failing.
It's a straight line from the Drive way into the Garage.
I have a 2016 Model X. Is this expected?

Redmiata98 | 15 March 2019

Some garage floors are slightly higher than the driveway. It is designed to keep water out of the garage. Look at the floor where it meets the closed garage door. You might notice the rectangular depression. If this is true, it explains the reluctance of the car to move forward.
When I first got my X in 2016, I built a small incline to make the difference not as abrupt. That helped a bit but required numerous “Summon” commands. I eventually removed the ramp and found little difference in the number of commands required. It was working with only 2 or 3 commands from my fob. Then there was an uodate that made the sensors more sensitive to the clearance between the garage door frame and the vehicle.
I now rarely use the “Summon” command to park the car in my garage. When I do, I find that I can eventually coaxe the car into the garage but it requires numerous commands. The fob requires less number of inputs than using the phone app. It will eventually park.
HOWEVER, I use the fob command every day for exiting the garage due to the small clearance with the garage door frame. It usually only takes 2 or 3 fob commands to make my exit. Use the fob rather than the phone app.
My problem appears to be the clearance, perhaps yours is a higher garage floor?

Makemark | 15 March 2019

I wouldn't call the driveway steep. Its not flat. There is some slope. Also, I have the same bump between the driveway and the garage floor. It works intermittently. Maybe I should have the Tesla Tech come over and have it checked.

Redmiata98 | 15 March 2019

Let me know if they are able to do it with only one try. Bet it takes them numerous times and they use the more responsive fob. You might make it a bit easier by turning off the require continous press option. The note on page 108 says: “Note: Use Summon on flat driveways only where a raised concrete edge does not exceed approximately 1 in (2.5 cm).”