Forums

Keep a tent in your car

Keep a tent in your car

As many of you probably already know Most campgrounds had NEMA 14-50 plugs in every campsite for use of large RVs...

Nobody questions you if you go pay for a site as normal and put up a tent while charging if needed (including the people at the front desk) however I have had some issues in the past just asking to pay for a site to charge the car.

I find this a good backup in the off chance that your preferred charge location on a trip is unavailable for some reason

Bighorn | 19 April 2019

They usually charge a lot less for just a charge. My camping hammock takes up a lot less room in the frunk though.

ebmcs03 | 19 April 2019

This must be for road trips. As I can imagine that’s more convenient than going to a supercharging station.

cliffordsf | 19 April 2019

Great tip as an emergency charge option.

finman100 | 19 April 2019

I think there is still a mentality out there that electric cars MUST be elecron hogs and will blow my circuits. but campers with electrical cords are a known quantity and therefore are not scary.

So, if you are "just camping" then it's not so worrisome to the camp owner.

YMMV

Just another electric car myth that haters really worked hard to promulgate.

Yes, that was my word for the day.

NKYTA | 19 April 2019

"haters"
;-)

Earl and Nagin ... | 19 April 2019

Back before Superchargers, RV parks were essentially the only infrastructure on the road. Since Superchargers, however, I've only used RV parks a couple of times - at destinations. Superchargers and Destination Chargers are just plain more convenient.
Back in the day, however, I found all varieties of reactions at RV parks.
Most were extremely supportive of EVs.
- Some desk clerks we irked because the only option their management gave them was to charge full price for a space with an outlet. One charged me for a site with a 30 amp outlet but gave me a 50 amp one if I promised not to tell her boss.
- Some were surprised but supportive and asked how much electricity I thought I'd use. My stock answer was:"I'll probably use about $5 of electricity. Would you accept $10?"
- Some said "$20". Even though I knew I wouldn't use that much electricity, I paid anyway -- good will was much more important than a few $.
- Some said "charge all you like - its about time we stop paying the oil companies so much" or something like that.
- Some were so excited about this new revenue stream that it worried me. Since I knew fast charging was the end game, I had to calm them down for fear they'd invest a lot of money only to have fast chargers kill the market. The Calico KOA in Yermo, CA was a good example of this. Shortly after using it, Tesla installed a 70 amp HPWC at the Barstow Station, then, of course, the Superchargers went in to Barstow and Yermo. These were much better places to charge and hang out so I'm very glad he didn't spend a lot of money putting in more 14-50 outlets for EVs.
Very few weren't highly supportive
- Only one that I recall flatly refused me. IIRC, they cited stress on their power grid.
- A couple weren't happy but let me charge as long as I paid the full nightly rate for the site.

Kathy Applebaum | 19 April 2019

@Earl and Nagin Thanks for the info! I haven't been brave enough to ask at RV parks, but then I've never needed it either. My Leaf didn't have the range to make it an issue, and now that we're all Tesla the supercharger network has never let us down.

Earl and Nagin ... | 19 April 2019

@Kathy,
I actually used an RV park with my Leaf once when I made the crazy trip from LA to San Jose. The lousy single EVRus charger at Santa Nella (next to the multiple Superchargers) wouldn't work so I ended up using the nearby RV park to make it to the next CHAdeMO.
My main accomplishment was to prove that one Could drive a Leaf from LA to SJ but that one definitely Should NOT.
It's great how far we've come with Tesla!