Submitted by transformers on Wed, 2019-04-24 12:50
Got back last week from our first long road trip. NC to Orlando, FL.
Overall we had a great time.
How did we keep our 3 year old boy entertained? Bought this from Amazon (WANPOOL Universal Car Headrest... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TTFX2L?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) and it worked out great. We pushed the front seat way forward to keep it easy on our little ones eyes.
Most important topic:
1. the supercharger locations from NC to FL are in unusual locations. The Savannah location is inside the airport which has not a single restaurant except Starbucks. The parking inside the airport is free though for Tesla customers. The other unusual location was when we just entered Florida. It’s inside the police station premises. So if you’re heading this route plan accordingly.
2. We learnt the hard way about Tesla destination chargers. We decided to stay in savannah for a day and all destination chargers were inside public garages. We paid $29 overnight hotel parking without any charging so don’t make the same mistake. If you do end up parking at the hotel the building always has few electrical outlets so consider parking there to gain 2-3 miles per hour
3. We spent a lot of unnecessary time charging while not doing anything valuable during our stay in Orlando. So planning on not repeating this same mistake by booking a hotel which has charging available.
4. Parking guys at legoland and seaworld gave us preferred parking at the regular standard pricing. Along with the option of charging onsite. These are very convenient perks. Charging onsite does require the free ChargePoint account which we didn’t have
5. Bug: During one of the charges we took longer to finish our lunch and the GPS map logic didn’t figure out it’s okay to skip the next charging stop. I had to stop and restart our journey again to make it skip the next charging stop