Forums

Increased charge rate at SC for S

Increased charge rate at SC for S

From the recent announcement on changes to the Model S, I am confused on the upgraded charge rate for V3 and V2 Superchargers.
I am wondering if the increase will also apply to older Model S. It would seem logical since the battery pack has not changed.
I find the press release on that front a bit confusing as it mentions the new more efficient drive units as a reason for higher charge rate.

EVRider | 25 April 2019

The article says the change is only for new vehicles.

Tropopause | 25 April 2019

The 100 kWh pack may be the same but we don't know if the cooling system has been upgraded. Otherwise I agree with OP that the news link was ambiguous about V3 charging rate on old vs new 100 kWh packs.

EVRider | 25 April 2019

From the article: "Paired with the new more efficient drivetrain design, Model S and Model X are now capable of achieving 200 kW on V3 Superchargers and 145 kW on V2 Superchargers. Together, these improvements enable our customers to recharge their miles 50% faster."

Since the current S and X don't have the new drivetrain design, I assume they won't get the charge rates cited above. That doesn't mean they won't get faster charging at some point, but I don't consider the quote above to be ambiguous. I hope I'm wrong, since I have an S and would like to get that kind of charge rate.

etigro | 25 April 2019

@EVRider this is what I find confusing : "Paired with the new more efficient drivetrain design". What is the role of the drivetrain design here ? Cooling system as @tropopause noted ?

EVRider | 25 April 2019

@etigro: I have no idea why (or if) the new drivetrain design is needed for faster supercharging, I’m just observing that it says so in the article. I haven’t heard or read anything that says older S/X’s will get faster supercharging (even if not as fast as the new ones), but I’m still hoping. :-)

TeslaTap.com | 25 April 2019

My strong guess is the cables and related contractors have to be upgraded to handle 200 kW. It was noted in the Model 3 teardowns how much beefer the high voltage cables were than the older S/X. This means older cars will not get 200 kW charging. I do think it may be able to go to 145 kW charging in the old Long Range (100 pack). Agreed the drivetrain really shouldn't have anything to do with charging.

Also I assume the new Standard Range does not allow for 200 kW charging, only the Long Range. We'll have to wait for more details.

etigro | 26 April 2019

Thank you all for your input. Let's wait and see. Being in France, I am in no rush as V3 is going to take some time to come my way.

starojam | 26 April 2019

They indicated that older S 100D models would be able to go to 150 kW on v2 and v3 chargers and they are still evaluating other battery packs to see what they may be able to increase to.

etigro | 26 April 2019

@starojam Yes, just saw this on Electrek. Great news.

EVRider | 26 April 2019

People are reporting that the faster supercharging is in update 2019.12.1, which is rolling out now. It takes time to roll out new releases to the entire fleet, so don't get concerned if you don't receive this for a while.