Forums

fan running while parked

fan running while parked

sounds like the fan is running constantly for hours while sitting in driveway. Ideas?

rykemapo | 16 May 2019

Me too and it's driving me insane. I go into a store for 5 minutes and the fans have pumped all the cold air out and replaced it with hot air. Such a waste of energy.

M3BlueGeorgia | 16 May 2019

@jpatters Running for a short time is normal, or when charging, especially when Supercharging.

However, unless you are practicing hyperbole, "running...for hours" is not normal. How long does the car's fan run for?

M3phan | 16 May 2019

1. You can manually turn off the fan through your app or on the screen Before exiting.
2. Is your climate control set to stay on? (This toggle screen pops up when you open climAte control)

anandkavita | 16 May 2019

The same thing is happening to me and its draining the battery. I think its a bug from the last software update. I really hope we get a new update soon.

alexomid83 | 17 May 2019

Is it warm outside when this happens? Even sitting in the sun will cause the cabin overheat feature to turn on to keep your cabin below 105 degrees. When I first got the car, the fans freaked me out too but now that I've had the car for over a month I've come to realize that's just how electric cars are. They need the fans to cool the battery to prevent damage.It's no big deal most of the time and through observation, the fans didn't run nearly as much as I thought they were.

Teslaguy | 17 May 2019

Turn off overheat protection it’s probably set to no ac or on.

attaluri | 17 May 2019

It is happening to my car as well. I am on 2019.12.1.2 software. I am guessing it is a bug. I do not have cabin over heat protection on and My app shows the fan is not on when this is happening. how ever turning it on and off from the app is turning it off. Its not happening always but It does happen. I am not sure what sequence triggers this. I have keep climate off selected as well. FYI.

seattlemag | 17 May 2019

This has happened a couple of times to me too, especially noticeable when charging in my garage. it normally goes away if I open and close one of the doors. Sometimes I turn off the fan manually to make sure it doesn't stay on. I assume it's a bug that will be fixed in a future release.

Joho.keith | 17 May 2019

This is a normal behavior dating back to the early model S. I traded a 2013 S for my 3. I used to wonder if something was wrong then I got used to the car often doing something in the background while parked in the garage. The behavior hasn’t changed in 6 years. Sometimes it’s quiet and sometimes there is a low fan noise and sometimes there is a lot going on. If the car runs normally when you drive, ignore the sounds when parked.